Seasick?

Steve in Omaha

On 8/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, springssparrow said:

I get motion sickness very easily and have found that if I take a meclizine (bonine) starting the night before I get onboard and continue to just take one every night, I am fine. I also wear wrist bands and I take a rx of patches with me just in case it gets really rough. The patches do make me a little bit sleepy which is why I wait to see if I really need it before I put it on. I take ginger chews with me and having one or two of those takes the edge off until the patch kicks in. We did a 20 day Panama Canal transit last April and I only needed to use a patch once. We are going to Alaska next week and will be on the west side of Vancouver Island so suspect I might end up using a patch there as well, but mostly the meclizine protocol has worked great for me.

How do the wrist bands work ?  Do they make you drowsy ?

Also same question for the Ginger chews ( I hadn't heard about them ).   And where do you typically find those...

Thanks

6 hours ago, deputybubba2 said:

How do the wrist bands work ?  Do they make you drowsy ?

Also same question for the Ginger chews ( I hadn't heard about them ).   And where do you typically find those...

Thanks

You can get wrist bands at any drugstore that has a travel section, or amazon. There is a little ball that pushes on a spot on your wrist to stop nausea and they will come with instructions to help you place them correctly.

You can get crystalized ginger at a natural foods store, or the ginger chews in the candy row of some stores. I've bought it at Ross and Home Goods, even, as well as my local Asian Foods store. I take the ginger chews when traveling because they are individually wrapped and crystalized ginger is usually in the bulk foods area. You can search ginger chews on amazon and get a lot of different brands - I've used gin-gins, chimes and the prince of peace brands and they all seem to be pretty equal.

4 hours ago, springssparrow said:

You can get wrist bands at any drugstore that has a travel section, or amazon. There is a little ball that pushes on a spot on your wrist to stop nausea and they will come with instructions to help you place them correctly.

You can get crystalized ginger at a natural foods store, or the ginger chews in the candy row of some stores. I've bought it at Ross and Home Goods, even, as well as my local Asian Foods store. I take the ginger chews when traveling because they are individually wrapped and crystalized ginger is usually in the bulk foods area. You can search ginger chews on amazon and get a lot of different brands - I've used gin-gins, chimes and the prince of peace brands and they all seem to be pretty equal.

So it turns out we have a bag of Ginger Chews sealed that we hadn't opened yet.

Anyone know if Celebrity Security will care if I have them in my carry on ?

Thanks  

21 hours ago, deputybubba2 said:

But work ok ?

Thanks for the info 🙂

Depends on the person and more importantly if you have them located properly. It can be trial and error to find the right spot. DW has used them for years and they work well for her.

I'm the one who originally asked the question.  Got back yesterday. From Monday to Saturday afternoon, you couldn't even tell you were on a boat or that it was moving.  Exiting Glacier Bay on Saturday, and then all day Sunday the seas were fairly rough and you could tell.  I took Bonine Saturday & Sunday just to be safe. 

Sunday night after we had already packed our suitcases, the empty metal "hotel hangers" in the closets were banging like wind chimes!  I had to hang a coat over them so we could sleep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, Heidi13 said:

Depends on the person and more importantly if you have them located properly. It can be trial and error to find the right spot. DW has used them for years and they work well for her.

My parents tried having me use those as a kid but it was only as an adult I figured out it wasn’t motion sickness but rather the smell of stale smoke in my dad’s car, ferries and public transport. I have no issues at all these days.

the wristbands use pressure point therapy, see an accupuncturist if you’re not sure where to place them so they’re most effective for you. 

So I just got back Saturday from our week long cruise.

What I found was Dramamine didn't really work.  I found Bonine on the cruise ship and started that on the second day.  That worked better. 

It's odd I am not nauseous to the point of puking, just an un-easy feeling, not steady and kinda grumpy.

After the second night I was acclimated and didn't have to take anything the rest of the trip.

Very odd, I think it might have something to do with my menagerie's ( only one ear ).

Also no green applies anywhere on the buffet on the Solstice the entire week, they did have ginger ale at almost every bar.

Great trip, just wish I could 'pre-game' somehow for those first few days...

Thanks  

15 minutes ago, deputybubba2 said:

So I just got back Saturday from our week long cruise.

What I found was Dramamine didn't really work.  I found Bonine on the cruise ship and started that on the second day.  That worked better. 

It's odd I am not nauseous to the point of puking, just an un-easy feeling, not steady and kinda grumpy.

After the second night I was acclimated and didn't have to take anything the rest of the trip.

Very odd, I think it might have something to do with my menagerie's ( only one ear ).

Also no green applies anywhere on the buffet on the Solstice the entire week, they did have ginger ale at almost every bar.

Great trip, just wish I could 'pre-game' somehow for those first few days...

Thanks  

I get seasick on larger ships, and found that if I start taking Bonnie a day or two prior to actually getting on the ship, I am good from the get go. You could try that next time you cruise to see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, KruisinKath said:

I get seasick on larger ships, and found that if I start taking Bonnie a day or two prior to actually getting on the ship, I am good from the get go. You could try that next time you cruise to see if that helps.

Yes this is what I was thinking also !

Thanks

We just left Alaska & heading towards Victoria. It was very ruff during the day but calmed down toward the evening. Wife' wasn't feeling well during the ruff seas, but was able to dance at night. Today is much calmer as we get nearer to Victoria.