Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

8 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

For MDR I like NCL better. I do wonder if I’d get bored with the menu if I cruised with them a lot. On the breakfast menu there are only 2-3 items that change. With 2-3 versions of the menu. I noticed much of the dinner menu is the same every night as well. 

I would say the carnival steakhouse is higher quality but they aren’t giving them away for free with a booking either. I think they’re up to $48. 

I never tried the other specialty restaurants because when I looked at the menus, i just felt they wouldn’t be as good as the steakhouse. Kind of like offering you cucina or the steakhouse on carnival. You would go steakhouse 10 out of 10 times.

Oddly enough, La Cucina on the Jewel had a better filet than the one I had at Cagney's. 
NCL has several menus for MDR, 14 I think. They rotate them based on what's available. They always have the classics, the other things change. With specialty dining thrown in, it's not bad. I've never had a problem. If you like Indian food, the buffet station for that is highly recommended by many. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Oddly enough, La Cucina on the Jewel had a better filet than the one I had at Cagney's. 
NCL has several menus for MDR, 14 I think. They rotate them based on what's available. They always have the classics, the other things change. With specialty dining thrown in, it's not bad. I've never had a problem. If you like Indian food, the buffet station for that is highly recommended by many. 

I’m not a buffet person.

• Like 3

Yes, the daily gratuities are $20. Just make sure you only have 7 total on your account no matter when they showed up. 
As for Specialty Dining, you pay 20% gratuities when you get the package, either free at sea or purchased separately. Tipping extra is nice, but not required. We still do most times. Depends on the experience. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Uff da said:

Yes, the daily gratuities are $20. Just make sure you only have 7 total on your account no matter when they showed up. 
As for Specialty Dining, you pay 20% gratuities when you get the package, either free at sea or purchased separately. Tipping extra is nice, but not required. We still do most times. Depends on the experience. 

Sounds good then. The total does come out to $140 plus my write-ins.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

For MDR I like NCL better. I do wonder if I’d get bored with the menu if I cruised with them a lot. On the breakfast menu there are only 2-3 items that change. With 2-3 versions of the menu. I noticed much of the dinner menu is the same every night as well. 

I would say the carnival steakhouse is higher quality but they aren’t giving them away for free with a booking either. I think they’re up to $48. 

I never tried the other specialty restaurants because when I looked at the menus, i just felt they wouldn’t be as good as the steakhouse. Kind of like offering you cucina or the steakhouse on carnival. You would go steakhouse 10 out of 10 times.

Wish you had tried Le Bistro as their filet mignon tops the ones in Cagney's and La Cucina. Also, the Steak Tartare in Le Bistro is delicious, and more importantly the French Onion soup there is the best!

MDR menus rotate every 14-21 days, depending on ship/region.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Wish you had tried Le Bistro as their filet mignon tops the ones in Cagney's and La Cucina. Also, the Steak Tartare in Le Bistro is delicious, and more importantly the French Onion soup there is the best!

I need to add that the escargots are amazing, as well as the duck and the dover sole also at Le Bistro.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

I don’t see filet mignon on the menu so if it’s there, it’s called something else. I’m not going there to eat anything tartare.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Haha 9