Free laundry

ponchy6567

41 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Agreed. They were most welcome last month. We used them to carry folded laundry to our room and then promptly returns them to the laundrette

I brought one of these on our World Cruise. Stick it in the corner and fill.  Grab the handles and go.  Dump your dry laundry in and dump it on the bed to fold.  After 178 days, it started to rip, but it (along with the magnets) was the best $7 purchase I made.

https://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Popup-Laundry-Hamper-Collapsible/dp/B00HZ0IOJ2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2KZWVY7I6B1GD&keywords=Collapsible%2Blaundry%2Bbasket&qid=1693093867&sprefix=collapsible%2Blaundry%2Bbasket%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I brought one of these on our World Cruise. Stick it in the corner and fill.  Grab the handles and go.  Dump your dry laundry in and dump it on the bed to fold.  After 178 days, it started to rip, but it (along with the magnets) was the best $7 purchase I made.

https://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Popup-Laundry-Hamper-Collapsible/dp/B00HZ0IOJ2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2KZWVY7I6B1GD&keywords=Collapsible%2Blaundry%2Bbasket&qid=1693093867&sprefix=collapsible%2Blaundry%2Bbasket%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Already on our Amazon wish list!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:54 AM, Mich3554 said:

I bought a couple of these from Flying Tiger really cheaply and they’ve been invaluable. I second your recommendation 😀

On 8/23/2023 at 9:40 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

The only issue is timing.

Folks are heartless if your laundry finishes and you don’t immediately put it in the drier.  They’ll take you wet clothes out and place them on the counter. 
so do your laundry at the most inconvenient time you can tolerate - think 3AM. 😴🥱

The ‘heartless folks’ are those that have no consideration for others and leave their washing in the machine for an unacceptable time after the program has finished.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

The ‘heartless folks’ are those that have no consideration for others and leave their washing in the machine for an unacceptable time after the program has finished.

And how would you know how long the machine has been stopped??
I doubt many folks leave and come back after 15 minutes (is that an “unacceptable” period of time?) to see if the machine has been emptied.
One can try to rationalize many “me first” behaviors these days.

18 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I doubt many folks leave and come back after 15 minutes (is that an “unacceptable” period of time?) to see if the machine has been emptied.

I’ve stood in the laundry room waiting for clothes to be removed from machines that have stopped. Machines tell you how long the program will take surely it’s not unreasonable to expect the user to return within 5/10 minutes of the end time?

as for your ‘me first’ comment what are you trying to say?

50 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

How many washers/dryers are in each laundry room? 

Typically 4 of each, thought there was discussion on here a while back that one ship (Jupiter?) had one laundry room which only had three plus one combo unit. 

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Typically 4 of each, thought there was discussion on here a while back that one ship (Jupiter?) had one laundry room which only had three plus one combo unit. 

Thanks. Given the relative multitude of washer/dryers throughout the ship, I'm surprised this is such an issue! Is there a laundry bag in the cabin or should I bring my own - or use a pillowcase or something to transport laundry to the laundry room?

19 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks. Given the relative multitude of washer/dryers throughout the ship, I'm surprised this is such an issue! Is there a laundry bag in the cabin or should I bring my own - or use a pillowcase or something to transport laundry to the laundry room?

On our last cruise the laundry room was closed on Deck 4 for five days. It’s was a pain to find an open machine on the other decks.

Yes, there is a small laundry bag that can be used. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I've never had the issues others describe. Just use your brain and don't try to do laundry at 10:30 am on a sea day. Do it off hours or on a port day. We have been known to put a load in on our way to dinner, set the timer on our phone and it usually works out that one of us moves it after appetizers. Then it's done about dessert time. 

If you're in a PV, the shoe shine holder works well. But when we were in a V or DV and prior to them placing four laundry baskets in the laundrette a, we would use our rollaboard suitcase if we had more than we could easily carry. 

• Like 1

the little collapsible laundry basket was a great purchase and when ashore it serves as my grocery plastic recycle place as if fits neatly in the hall closet.  One of those things that serves duty while at home!  For those with children in their life, a great place to store those always loose toys and things

6 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I got back from my washer running 7 minutes early.  The dryer had been stopped at least that long.  I moved the dry clothes to the basket.  It was at least 10 min before I did this.  
If you cannot be considerate enough to set an alarm to get back early, then you deserve to get your clothes moved for you.  
Your time is not more valuable than mine.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

There is a laundry bag (usually used for sending laundry out), but it doesn’t hold much.  I need to buy another (I tossed the ripped one) for our next cruise as the collapsible basket works much better.  It really doesn’t take up much room in your luggage either.

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

On our last cruise the laundry room was closed on Deck 4 for five days. It’s was a pain to find an open machine on the other decks.

Yes, there is a small laundry bag that can be used. 

On the Neptune last spring, they shut all laundry rooms down for the gastrointestinal bug.  I found out when I needed to wash all my long pants (I only had a few pair of warmer pants) and the room was locked.  I sent them out to be laundered instead.  We had a laundry charge on our account, then it was removed.  While it wasn’t announced, the sent out laundry was being done gratis at this time.  I did then send out a few more bags.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:47 PM, Mich3554 said:

There is a laundry bag (usually used for sending laundry out), but it doesn’t hold much.  I need to buy another (I tossed the ripped one) for our next cruise as the collapsible basket works much better.  It really doesn’t take up much room in your luggage either.

I have several of the Army canvas laundry bags... Though have had them since college... I could probably stuff two weeks of clothes in them and they fold up to the size of a t shirt.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:54 PM, Mich3554 said:

Agree!!!  We  bought two and take them on every cruise.  Even if we don't do laundry, they serve as great hampers to keep dirties out of the way.

We've used the laundry on ocean ships each time we've cruised, to great success; my wife likes doing laundry, and usually chose to do it later at night when no one else was using it.

The best thing though, is to travel with dri-fit shirts and pants, which we do; they dry in about 5-6 hours, so we can wash every 3-4 days and have nice clean clothes all the time, without worrying about always running to the laundry. The pants that I carry are convertible; there's a zipper that converts the pants from shorts to long pants--great for summer trips.

We of course use washer/dryer for other articles of clothing.

We also carry a neat clip-less braided clothesline that we put up in the bathroom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KP6BZBJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 8/24/2023 at 3:20 AM, photopro2 said:

You're quite correct. After all it does no harm and why should a washer/dryer be idle when someone needs to use it? 

One other tip.......  there's nothing (not even in the small print of the Viking contract) to say you can't use a laundry that is on another deck, not that we would ever dream of doing that, of course 😉

On the Explorer ships ( Polaris our upcoming cruise)  there is no laundry in our deck 2...so you have to use one on either 3 or 4. Little aggravating but think we can manage a couple times.  Its a great perk!