1st time on Seabourn

Hi,

We have just booked our first cruise on Seabourn Ovation and we had a couple of questions -

1.  Does Seabourn Ovation have a check-in que on embarkation day or do you just walk right on the ship like Windstar at port arrival ?

2.  So many cruise lines are crushing the offering of lobster.   Does Seaborn still offer it ?   Just curious....thats all....

3.  Does Seaborn offer set menu items at dinner (always available choices) ?   If so, what are some examples of those choices ?

4.  I usually buy a laundry package because I do not want to use the self service laundry on the ship because I am on vacation.  Does Seaborn offer a package and if so, at what price ?

5.  Where and when do I get to choose the bar set up for the stateroom ?    I do not see this offer on the Seaborn website.

6.  I have the most cruise experience with Holland America which is known for its wonderful crew.  How will Seaborn compare ?

7.  Does Seabourn offer a good variety of music channels in cabin or should I download a playlist on my iPAD before boarding ?

Thanks in advance for responding.

Rex

There is sometimes a very short line to embark.  You have to walk up to a counter and present your passport and have your photo taken.  It usually moves quickly. 

Lobster is served in various ways in several dining venues.  I don't know that it is always available though.  Caviar is always available, but is not advertised.  If you like caviar, just order it anytime you want. 

Yes, there are set menu items always available.  Salmon with vegetables is one of them.  I think there is steak and roast chicken, etc,  Also soups and other starters.   

Yes, there is laundry service.  It is $50/per laundry bag.  The laundry bag is small, but you will be amazed at what you can stuff into it.  We usually are able to get everything into it that needs washing.  It is a good service (esp, for men's clothing) and every comes back to you either on hangers or neatly folded,  A a woman, I don't send all of my items as many of then cannot be placed in a clothes dryer. 

I think there is a place to have. your bar set up once you book your cruise and you are registered.  We don't worry about that--and know it can be set up upon your arrival. 

Seabourn has very friendly crew,  On our last SB cruise (June)m it was the best crew we had experienced.  Of course the crew rotates, changes, etc all of the time. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

6.  I have the most cruise experience with Holland America which is known for its wonderful crew.  How will Seaborn compare ?

The Holland America cruisers who rave about the Indonesian and Filipino crew have seldom been on other cruise lines. We have had great crew on every line we have sailed. I found it refreshing to deal with staff from a wide variety of countries and continents on my Seabourn cruise. Their grasp of English was better. Try asking a Holland America waiter to describe the preparation of a menu item or to identify the cheeses on a cheese plate.

Re: in room beverages

When you fill out your registration on the Seabourn website you will be ask what you want to be stocked in your room upon arrival.  Liquor, beer, wine, sodas and mixers. Very easy.  And once onboard you can get refills or other things from you suite attendant.  

you could wait and put in your request once onboard.  but embarkation day is busy for those attendants so the more that can be done ahead of time the better.  

Edited by JPH814
  • Thanks 1

Morning, 

Welcome aboard. Regarding Laundry, I have found the onboard self-launderette very easy/accessible and "included." Being a bit obsessive, I actually enjoyed going to do my laundry. I have not used the laundry service, despite having it as one of our "perks." 

Like SLSD said, if you want something, just ask - IMHO, the SB crew is the best part of the trip.

Best, jdk

There are music channels but we downloaded our own.

There were a significant number of crew from Southern/South Eastern Africa on Ovation in July, all of whom (or at least those we came into contact with) were lovely, engaging and friendly.