What’s the best way to reserve a table for 2 when the MDR opens?

Ken the cruiser

We haven’t cruised with HAL for quite some time, and initially we thought purchasing a Club Orange package would be the best way to secure a table for 2 when the dining room opens at 5 pm. But from what we’re learning, CO only offers a separate dining area on the Pinnacle class ships. On the other HAL ships, we’re hearing there is just a separate priority entrance line where you are subsequently seated at an available MDR table.

So if we’re on a non-Pinnacle class ship like the Zaandam or Oosterdam, would it be better to simply avoid paying for CO and just book an early fixed seating table for 2 if possible before the cruise starts, so we’re guaranteed a 2-top every night when the MDR opens?

FWIW we usually book a cruise as soon as they are made available if that makes any difference in securing early fixed seating reservations in advance.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Thanks for starting a new thread for your questions.  I will copy here the response I gave:

If I were on a non-Pinnacle ship and wanted a guaranteed two top right at 5pm, I would book fixed early seating.   CO offers one extra menu option at dinner along with the other perks you have read about.

Club Orange would be a consideration if you want to upgrade your room category at booking when you purchase CO.  I haven't done it but several posters here on CC have explained the process and advantages of doing that.  Check out what they have done.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

• Ken the cruiser changed the title to What’s the best way to reserve a table for 2 when the MDR opens?

Try to ensure with your travel agent or PCC - early fixed dining, table for two.

We have always done this, but  for late fixed dining; never tried to get  early fixed.

Good thing about late-fixed is after a few days there are empty tables when people find out this does not work for them,  so the dining staff can offer more available choices.  Sometimes we get a table for four, but set up for two.

• Like 1

Just now, OlsSalt said:

Try to ensure with your travel agent or PCC - early fixed dining, table for two.

We have always done this, but  for late fixed dining; never tried to get  early fixed.

Good thing about late-fixed is after a few days there are empty tables when people find out this does not work for them,  so the dining staff can offer more available choices.  Sometimes we get a table for four, but set up for two.

Perfect! As usual, OlsSalt, you have come through once again. We will be reaching out to our old PCC in the next few days to let him know about our interest with booking with HAL again and will be discussing this as well as some other issues in the coming days. 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bajae said:

Is it possible to reserve a time in advance with anytime dinning? For example, have a two top reserved at 5:30 each night?

There are dining reservation tables on Deck 2 and Deck 9 when you embark - sometimes there is a long line, sometimes you are the only one. You can also call Dining Reservations from your stateroom to make MDR reservations, but the time on hold may be long. The 5-5:30 times go very quickly and then there are none until much later. Sometimes the next available time is 7, sometimes as late as 8. In those situations, you may want to opt for another venue - or be in the line with others.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, bajae said:

Is it possible to reserve a time in advance with anytime dinning? For example, have a two top reserved at 5:30 each night?

Yes, I've had no trouble reserving the MDR for whatever nights I want. Although it's usually only 5pm that they offer, not 5:30pm. My last cruise, a few weeks ago, they even let us keep the same wonderful window table and waiter. I made the reservations as soon as we boarded (no line at the dining reservation table), but requested the same table after the first dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't do that, but it's not unreasonable. Just don't condition it on a two top by the window along the railing looking down over the lower dining room.

Edited by POA1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It's reasonable. On Holland America, early seating (Upper dining room, ~5:45) fills up first. Main seating (8:00 pm upper dining room) fills next.

Open seating (lower dining room) is the catch all. It doesn't "fill."

I wouldn't choose a cruise based on dining availability if I were you. You can ask for the same dining servers in open dining if you want.

Thanks. Our issue is my DW for health reasons has to eat early, and we really have no desire anymore to sit at sharing tables. Hence the reason for a Early Seating 2-top. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks. Our issue is my DW for health reasons has to eat early, and we really have no desire anymore to sit at sharing tables. Hence the reason for a Early Seating 2-top. 

You can get a table for two in early open seating without an issue as long as you avoid the busy times. IIRC, 6:00 - 7:30 are busier than average.

• Thanks 1

Not sure this would apply for a table for two, but i was able to secure reservations soon after boarding on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I went to the deck 2 entrance to the MDR and the assistant dining mgr helped me reserve for the second and third night the same table for 8 at 530. Then during night 3 he came by and asked if we wanted to keep the same table and time, which we of course agreed to. I am not sure you can reserve for the first night, which is usually chaotic. We scheduled our Canaletto on night 1, much calmer atmosphere.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We contacted our TA this afternoon and asked her to book a PC cruise for us in April 2025 on the Eurodam, with one catch and that was to secure a reservation for an Early Fixed Seating table for 2 in the MDR. Was this a reasonable request?

The answer in our case was yes. Our TA was able to book our cruise with Early Fixed Seating table for 2 for 5:45 pm, and it even shows up on the confirmation! Yay!!! 

image.png.9112d4be711ad7a96ae6eea1fa097da9.png

And for those interested HAL told our TA it takes 5-7 business days to process the HAL Military as well as the AARP certification for the onboard credits to show up on the booking. We got the certifications 3-5 days ago, depending on which one it was.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1