16 Day Hawaii - A Couple of Questions from a Newbie to Princesss

cruisinmama!

Hi All,

This will be our very first cruise on Princess. We have done several on RCCL over the past 10 years (and a couple on Carnival many eons ago) but those are the only lines we have been on so far.  We decided to try Princess out and are on the 16 day Hawaii itinerary in November and I have tried every search I can think of to figure these out on my own but I don't seem to be finding the answers, so forgive me if these have been asked before and I just haven't found it.

- Do any of you know what nights will be the formal nights? We want to set up our Speciality dining ahead of time and pick what night to go to Chef's Table but I can't figure out when to expect the formal nights.

- How formal is formal? My husband is allergic to suits LOL and on RCCL he can get away with a nice pair of slacks and a nice Hawaiian shirt. Wil that cut it on Princess or should he plan on a tie ensemble? Can I get away with a nice blouse and slacks or does it need to be a dress every night? We would like to go as relaxed as possible but don't want to feel out of place or underdressed

- WIth respect to the Crown Princess specifically, is the Thermal spa worth the price? Or are we better off springing for more days in the Sanctuary?

- Lastly, hopefully this doesn't sound snooty at all or anything as that is totally not how we are at all, but on RCCL we tend to avoid the buffet and most nights we go to the specialty restaurants in lieu of the MDR mostly because of the multiple options and the quality of the food vs the MDR.  However, the Crown only has 2 speciality options and we are there for 16 nights. We have 2 specialtiy dinners regardless, but for those of you who've been on the Crown, is the MDR good for the other 14 nights? Or should we plan on repeating the specialty options (Crown Grill & Sabatinis) more than once? And which would you recommend for the formal nights?

Thank you all SO much and I am again sorry if these are old questions but I promise I did try to fnd the answers on my own before asking.

Our Hawaii cruise last December was very casual ,slacks and shirt totally OK.

Thermal suite on Crown I suspect is just heated beds and steam rooms ,no pool . The Royal Class have the Thermal suites with pool.

Sanctuary was not busy on our cruise as weather was chilly .

Sorry no clue on specialty restaurants , as long as I am not cooking or washing up I am pretty content.

Welcome to Princess.

You cannot pick what night to go to the Chef's Table. The ship will schedule it. If you want to go to the Chef's Table, you need to request it first thing after you get on the ship.

In my opinion, format nights are not the best ones to go to specialty restaurants. Princess usually has their fancier meals (lobstar, surf & turf, etc.) on formal nights.

I would recommend looking at the MDR menus before deciding. I don't know when they will be available on the app, but they will certainly all be available when you're onboard. If they're not all on the app, ask a head waiter in the MDR, and he can show them to you.

The MDR has more variety than the specialty restaurants, since it has a different menu each night. The specialty restaurants. I recommend you try the MDR and both specialty restaurants and then decide what you want to do for the rest of the cruse.

Since you said you have two specialty restaurant dinners, I suspect you have booked the Premier Fare, including alcoholic beverages up to $20 each. If you drink wine with dinner, I recommend you go to Vines Wine Bar on Deck 5 before dinner. They have a better selection of wine than the MDR or the specialty restaurants. Have a glass of wine before dinner, and then take another one to go to and carry it in to dinner with you. They will pour it into a different glass to carry out, since they have special glasses in Vines that you can't take elsewhere. If you are eating in the Michelangelo Dining Room on Deck 5, then it's a short walk from Vines to the dining room.

• Like 1

You mention, "...the other 14 nights." There are 3 formal nights on a 16 night sailing. 

We just got back from Hawaii, The first "formal" night was the second full sea day. The second was the first sea day out from Hawaii and the last was the night before Ensenada, but as you are returning to San Francisco instead of LA, the last may differ.

As far as making a reservation. Sabatini's and Crown Grill, (and Salty Dog on our ship) had just a couple tables taken each time we looked. I'd just make reservations the day you want to go. Few are buying at the increased prices. If you've got included dining, good for you.

Formal nights, eat in the MDR. Food is better. What you describe wearing is acceptable. But you'll still see some older Princess loyals in jackets and ties. Please avoid wearing shorts, t-shirts and ball caps in the MDR.

Edited by mtnesterz

we did the Crown to Hawai'i in March & I did a live from the cruise with copies of menus, patters, photos & lots of stuff...it's long, but if you look on page 19 post 436 there is an index of which posts have what (this might take you there or just to the live (I am never sure when I copy the link, sometimes it goes to the exact post & others to the thread): 

If you have other questions I will try to answer but it should give you an idea when the formal nights would be, what to expect in the MDR, etc...

First, I would like to provide you with some additional information that was not in your query. ELUA, Tiki Dave and Leialoha, are scheduled to be on your cruise. They are Hawaiian ambassadors, providing ukulele lessons for beginners, hula sessions, Hawaiian crafts (small fee), entertainment. They are very good. If you have a uke bring it along. If not there are a limited number of instruments on board. Arrive very early for the first session to be assigned a uke. Participants perform a uke & hula theater show at the end of the cruise.

The weather crossing to Hawaii is not tropical. The first two to three days can be cool and you could encounter choppy seas. Be prepared with layered clothing and motion sickness meds. It normally isn't sit around the pool weather like the Caribbean until you cross the Tropic of Cancer into the tropics on the 3rd day. It is not quite as cool on the return as the ship takes a more southern route to Ensenada. 

Formal is anything from long pants/slacks with an Hawaiian shirt to jacket with or without a tie to suits. Very few in true formal wear.

The buffet is open from around 6am until 11pm. Never closes during that time. Some of the selections are quite good. It's a good option when you wish to plan your evening dining around your evening shows & activities rather than the reverse. Menus in the specialty restaurants never change. There are a few selections in each one. The MDR has a different menu each evening which for your cruise will be on a 16 night rotation. Some selections will repeat on different menus, and there are a few always available items. You mention that you have 2 specialty dinners which sounds like the premier fare. You probably also have access to casual dinning locations. The Crown has the Salty Dog Gastropub and I believe it will have a casual dining selection at Vines. These can be a nice dinner or maybe lunch if open alternative. There will be pizza by the slice as well as selections at the grill in the Lido Pool area. These are no charge. The International Cafe also offers continental selections for breakfast and paninis, salads, desserts from late morning into the evening hours. It is always open and there is no charge for food items. A specialty coffee location is also adjacent to the International Cafe.   

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 7:39 PM, DUCHESSRN said:

Our Hawaii cruise last December was very casual ,slacks and shirt totally OK.

Thermal suite on Crown I suspect is just heated beds and steam rooms ,no pool . The Royal Class have the Thermal suites with pool.

Sanctuary was not busy on our cruise as weather was chilly .

Sorry no clue on specialty restaurants , as long as I am not cooking or washing up I am pretty content.

Thanks for the info!

On 9/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, NavyVeteran said:

Welcome to Princess.

You cannot pick what night to go to the Chef's Table. The ship will schedule it. If you want to go to the Chef's Table, you need to request it first thing after you get on the ship.

In my opinion, format nights are not the best ones to go to specialty restaurants. Princess usually has their fancier meals (lobstar, surf & turf, etc.) on formal nights.

I would recommend looking at the MDR menus before deciding. I don't know when they will be available on the app, but they will certainly all be available when you're onboard. If they're not all on the app, ask a head waiter in the MDR, and he can show them to you.

The MDR has more variety than the specialty restaurants, since it has a different menu each night. The specialty restaurants. I recommend you try the MDR and both specialty restaurants and then decide what you want to do for the rest of the cruse.

Since you said you have two specialty restaurant dinners, I suspect you have booked the Premier Fare, including alcoholic beverages up to $20 each. If you drink wine with dinner, I recommend you go to Vines Wine Bar on Deck 5 before dinner. They have a better selection of wine than the MDR or the specialty restaurants. Have a glass of wine before dinner, and then take another one to go to and carry it in to dinner with you. They will pour it into a different glass to carry out, since they have special glasses in Vines that you can't take elsewhere. If you are eating in the Michelangelo Dining Room on Deck 5, then it's a short walk from Vines to the dining room.

THank you so much for all of the tips, especially the Vines info. I will defintiely be doing that 🙂

On 9/1/2023 at 10:09 PM, mtnesterz said:

You mention, "...the other 14 nights." There are 3 formal nights on a 16 night sailing. 

We just got back from Hawaii, The first "formal" night was the second full sea day. The second was the first sea day out from Hawaii and the last was the night before Ensenada, but as you are returning to San Francisco instead of LA, the last may differ.

As far as making a reservation. Sabatini's and Crown Grill, (and Salty Dog on our ship) had just a couple tables taken each time we looked. I'd just make reservations the day you want to go. Few are buying at the increased prices. If you've got included dining, good for you.

Formal nights, eat in the MDR. Food is better. What you describe wearing is acceptable. But you'll still see some older Princess loyals in jackets and ties. Please avoid wearing shorts, t-shirts and ball caps in the MDR.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3 rd formal night.  I hadn't caught that. ANd my husband will be thrileld to not ahve to be in a suit

On 9/2/2023 at 7:41 AM, skynight said:

First, I would like to provide you with some additional information that was not in your query. ELUA, Tiki Dave and Leialoha, are scheduled to be on your cruise. They are Hawaiian ambassadors, providing ukulele lessons for beginners, hula sessions, Hawaiian crafts (small fee), entertainment. They are very good. If you have a uke bring it along. If not there are a limited number of instruments on board. Arrive very early for the first session to be assigned a uke. Participants perform a uke & hula theater show at the end of the cruise.

The weather crossing to Hawaii is not tropical. The first two to three days can be cool and you could encounter choppy seas. Be prepared with layered clothing and motion sickness meds. It normally isn't sit around the pool weather like the Caribbean until you cross the Tropic of Cancer into the tropics on the 3rd day. It is not quite as cool on the return as the ship takes a more southern route to Ensenada. 

Formal is anything from long pants/slacks with an Hawaiian shirt to jacket with or without a tie to suits. Very few in true formal wear.

The buffet is open from around 6am until 11pm. Never closes during that time. Some of the selections are quite good. It's a good option when you wish to plan your evening dining around your evening shows & activities rather than the reverse. Menus in the specialty restaurants never change. There are a few selections in each one. The MDR has a different menu each evening which for your cruise will be on a 16 night rotation. Some selections will repeat on different menus, and there are a few always available items. You mention that you have 2 specialty dinners which sounds like the premier fare. You probably also have access to casual dinning locations. The Crown has the Salty Dog Gastropub and I believe it will have a casual dining selection at Vines. These can be a nice dinner or maybe lunch if open alternative. There will be pizza by the slice as well as selections at the grill in the Lido Pool area. These are no charge. The International Cafe also offers continental selections for breakfast and paninis, salads, desserts from late morning into the evening hours. It is always open and there is no charge for food items. A specialty coffee location is also adjacent to the International Cafe.   

Thank you so much for all of these tips.  I really appreciate it!

On 9/2/2023 at 2:55 AM, travelin.sisters said:

we did the Crown to Hawai'i in March & I did a live from the cruise with copies of menus, patters, photos & lots of stuff...it's long, but if you look on page 19 post 436 there is an index of which posts have what (this might take you there or just to the live (I am never sure when I copy the link, sometimes it goes to the exact post & others to the thread): 

If you have other questions I will try to answer but it should give you an idea when the formal nights would be, what to expect in the MDR, etc...

Wow! This is exactly what I need - thank you!