Check in time......stay close to assigned time or go when you want to???

Kelownabccan

Just got this message....

To Port: Amsterdam
Check-In Time: 01:30 PM
Check-In Group: G

I guess it is a fairly good time but the hotel has a check out time of 11am and the ship is less than 10 minutes away......any thoughts of just showing up earlier....this is in Amsterdam in a few weeks.......on previous cruises we always liked to get there around lunch time and then have a relaxing lunch in the dining room rather than the busy busy buffet....lol......and the dining room lunch time stops at  ?????.....

Thoughts on check in in Amsterdam.....done it??? and any tips???

Thanks

I had a 12:30 assigned check-in time in Amsterdam last month, with an 11am hotel checkout time. Our hotel was a bit further away, and we arrived at the port around 12. They were taking around 50 people at a time to get into the check-in line, so by the time we got to check-in it was right around 12:30. Check-in took 5 minutes, no line at security, and then we walked right on board.

So keep in mind that you'll want to arrive a bit early anyway, as the bottleneck part was getting to the check-in.

6 minutes ago, renee00 said:

I had a 12:30 assigned check-in time in Amsterdam last month, with an 11am hotel checkout time. Our hotel was a bit further away, and we arrived at the port around 12. They were taking around 50 people at a time to get into the check-in line, so by the time we got to check-in it was right around 12:30. Check-in took 5 minutes, no line at security, and then we walked right on board.

So keep in mind that you'll want to arrive a bit early anyway, as the bottleneck part was getting to the check-in

Could it possibly be there is a bottleneck because too many won't wait until assigned check-in time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not familiar with port process in Amsterdam, but all the HAL ports I've embarked post-Covid have not enforced the check in times.

If it were my trip, I'd ask hotel for a late checkout and call HAL to see about getting an earlier check in. Then I'd hang a bit in hotel lobby after checking out (likely more comfortable than terminal) then head over to the terminal and drop my bags w/Porter then go find a local place for lunch. If they let you on early, great; if not, you had lunch w/o schlepping your luggage and had minimal wait at the port.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, badtwin said:

Could it possibly be there is a bottleneck because too many won't wait until assigned check-in time?

I have no clue. It wasn't overly packed with people when we arrived (there were 2 groups of 50 ahead of us waiting to get in line, and empty seats for another 2-3 groups of 50), and it seemed like a reasonable wait to get through. I thought it was a very efficient embarkation.

2 hours ago, Windsailer said:

Or you can call HAL and say you have to check out of your hotel and please could they move your check in time up. It's worked for me in the past. 

Like that idea.....will try after the long weekend holiday....thanks for everyone's input....I assumed there were lots of blogs on this topic...but lazy....lol....and Amsterdam may be different say than FLL

We like to arrive early (to get the party started....or rather, to get to lunch).....We've cruised 4x since the unpleasantness and boarded in Amsterdam, Santiago/San Antonio and 2x at Port Everglades and we've always been welcomed in no matter what was listed on whatever document regarding whatever boarding time.

Enjoy the journey......

• Like 1