Les 3 Brasseurs, Noumea

bazzaw

It's also a bit of a tourist trap. They give out "discount vouchers" for it on the HOHO bus.  But everything in Noumea is on the pricey side.  Just near it is another restaurant called La Guinche, which is far less touristy, and has good food.  Try their "plat du jour', the daily special.  If you don't speak restaurant French, just use Google translate. The waiters are friendly and speak enough English to get by.  Everywhere I went took Visa or Mastercards, including the stalls at the Port Moselle Market.

Opposite the pickup point for the bus back to the port is a big supermarket. called Supermarche Johnstone.  Right at the back, they have an amazing deli/seafood section.  I bought some excellent French cheeses to take back on the ship. They also have free wi fi in the foyer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

They give out "discount vouchers" for it on the HOHO bus.  But everything in Noumea is on the pricey side. 

Yes, we got voucher one time. The place was fine, had Wi-Fi & took CC.

We normally go to La Barca place after a swim at Lemon Bay. Good food & local beer & take $A or CC. Not sure if the sharks are gone, so not sure on the swim 😁

All the Noumea beaches were still closed at the end of July because of the fatal shark attacks. Lemon Bay had a short shark net around the shallows in one part, and a couple of children were paddling. Otherwise it was deserted on the two days I was there, and the shops and restaurants along the promenade are having a hard time.

21 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m interested, has anyone got a review?

Everything is in French,the only thing I know about is kissing.

I have been their twice - but some years ago now pre-Covid. I go for the beer. Good beer from what I remember and completely different from the mostly Aussie lagers sold on "our" ships 😞 I think I used XPF last time - but this time we are only visiting one port in New Caledonia so can't be bothered getting any XPF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

It's also a bit of a tourist trap. They give out "discount vouchers" for it on the HOHO bus.  But everything in Noumea is on the pricey side.  Just near it is another restaurant called La Guinche, which is far less touristy, and has good food.  Try their "plat du jour', the daily special.  If you don't speak restaurant French, just use Google translate. The waiters are friendly and speak enough English to get by.  Everywhere I went took Visa or Mastercards, including the stalls at the Port Moselle Market.

Opposite the pickup point for the bus back to the port is a big supermarket. called Supermarche Johnstone.  Right at the back, they have an amazing deli/seafood section.  I bought some excellent French cheeses to take back on the ship. They also have free wi fi in the foyer.

I love that supermarket. We usually wander through it when in Noumea just to see what interesting things they have. 

It also has an ATM outside it if you need local currency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I love that supermarket. We usually wander through it when in Noumea just to see what interesting things they have. 

It also has an ATM outside it if you need local currency. 

I like the supermarket too Julie ,they have some lovely cuts of meat.

A lot of people bag Nouméa but if you look there’s some interesting things .

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I guess the fact that almost every cruise to Sth Pacific calls into Noumea has somehow created a negativity towards it. We have been there at least 10 times and have always enjoyed our visits there. To us it's a little taste of France (where we have never been), but in a tropical setting. Most of the local people we have had contact with (tour staff, hospitality staff etc) have been really nice - they are Polynesian living in a French country, not Parisians in France. 

I asked someone once who was saying they don't like Noumea & will stay onboard, just what did they not like. Turned out they got off the ship at terminal once, took a short walk around, didn't like what they saw and went back to ship.

Another passenger didn't like it based on someone telling them it was not worth getting of there, and so didn't!!

After quite a break from Sth Pacific for us (covid) we will visit Noumea on each of our 3 upcoming cruises (Oct, Dec, Feb) and look forward to it. HOHO bus for a quick updated look, then maybe a swim at Lemon Bay (sharks??) & a baguette & a local brew at La Barca will be great. Looking at the view & thinking "what are the poor people doing right now" will bring a smile to my face. Vive la différence 

• Like 2

Smarttraveller says:

A restricted swimming zone is open daily from 8:45am - 4pm at Baie des Citrons. Due to shark attacks in early 2023, all other beaches in Noumea remain closed until 31 December following a ban by local authorities.

I agree with you. Noumea is a little slice of France with a Pacific Island vibe.  Lots to see, do and eat and drink.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

I guess the fact that almost every cruise to Sth Pacific calls into Noumea has somehow created a negativity towards it. We have been there at least 10 times and have always enjoyed our visits there. To us it's a little taste of France (where we have never been), but in a tropical setting. Most of the local people we have had contact with (tour staff, hospitality staff etc) have been really nice - they are Polynesian living in a French country, not Parisians in France. 

I asked someone once who was saying they don't like Noumea & will stay onboard, just what did they not like. Turned out they got off the ship at terminal once, took a short walk around, didn't like what they saw and went back to ship.

Another passenger didn't like it based on someone telling them it was not worth getting of there, and so didn't!!

After quite a break from Sth Pacific for us (covid) we will visit Noumea on each of our 3 upcoming cruises (Oct, Dec, Feb) and look forward to it. HOHO bus for a quick updated look, then maybe a swim at Lemon Bay (sharks??) & a baguette & a local brew at La Barca will be great. Looking at the view & thinking "what are the poor people doing right now" will bring a smile to my face. Vive la différence 

La Barca is pretty cool, I remember some inlander ladies there with an exaggerated French flair.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I like the supermarket too Julie ,they have some lovely cuts of meat.

The main town is a bit strange and people forget it's not really a tourist town, it's the main city for industry and commerce in New Caledonia plus it's serving an island population of a different culture to us. Anse Vatu and Lemon Bay remind me of beachside places in Australia and NZ where there are a few nice shops or restaurants and a pleasant view over the ocean. A French version of Manly or St Kilda in Australia, or Mission Bay in Auckland. 

People also bag Suva as well but we enjoy wandering around there and there are some great Indian restaurants for lunch.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The main town is a bit strange and people forget it's not really a tourist town, it's the main city for industry and commerce in New Caledonia plus it's serving an island population of a different culture to us. Anse Vatu and Lemon Bay remind me of beachside places in Australia and NZ where there are a few nice shops or restaurants and a pleasant view over the ocean. A French version of Manly or St Kilda in Australia, or Mission Bay in Auckland. 

People also bag Suva as well but we enjoy wandering around there and there are some great Indian restaurants for lunch.

I describe it as being like manly to people.

Someone once said it’s just a mining camp in the middle of the pacific but it’s evolving Julie .