Help me choose: 2 totally different itineraries

clconnell

My husband and I have the chance to go on a quick 4 night itinerary in July 24.  The two options that work for us are Freedom out of Miami to Coco Cay and Nassau or Navigator out of LAX to Catalina and Ensanada. Either option requires a a flight of about same distance and cost.  Both cruises are similarly priced.  

We love Coco Cay and that would obviously be a really easy beach day.  Would probably choose to stay on (the less crowded) ship in Nassau.  Have never been to Ensanada or Catalina so have no frame of reference there.  

We are in our 40s and can opt for being active or just relaxing.

So basically just choosing between ship & itinerary.

Which one would you choose and why?  Thanks!

During the restart, mostly because of the double points promo, we booked a JS weekend on Freedom Fall '21 and a JS weekend on Navigator Fall '22 as fillers between other bigger/longer trips. Anyway, we choose Navigator for '22 since we've never been out of LA or been to any of the ports before, just like you.

That said, we did not like the Navigator itinerary at all. If we had it all to do over again, we'd pick Freedom again.

• Like 1

If you really want a beach day, then definitely Coco Cay.  If you're impartial to a beach day, take Navigator just since there are far more Coco Cay options for future cruises than west coast. Catalina Island is neat, but naturally chilly. Ensenada is only a hair better than Nassau.

• Like 1

I have been on both itineraries! My thought is try something new and go on the Catalina Island and Ensenda cruise. This trip however wouldn't be really beach oriented ..if that is truly what you're looking for then I would go with Coco Cay option. Catalina island however is neat to see and a check off the bucket list kind of trip. Its an easy port to navigate on your own. Ensenda is not my fav port however again if you've never been its a check off the list kind of trip. 🙂 Let us know what you decide. 

• Like 1

Full disclosure, I've never been to Catalina Island, but Ensenada is my least favorite port of any itinerary--so personally, I would choose Freedom. 

That being said, if you would stay on the ship in Nassau (no judgment, that's what I usually do 😉), then the West Coast cruise would potentially involve a lot more to do and see. And while I've never spoken to anyone who really loves Ensenada, some people have obviously had better experiences there than I have. 😉 

• Like 1