My ta meeting with a whole group of Explora higher ups today

bitob

4 hours ago, uktog said:

I have just returned from that itinerary on Viking - EJ were on a winner with it and given how few lines do it I am sad `EJ  did not continue with their plan to offer it next year as I would have happily done it again.  It was stunning and a Viking/Explora sized ship is ideally suited for that type of sailing.

I think @Nunagoras has it absolutely right about their assessment of the line.  My ears feelings have inevitably been so influenced by the absolutely appalling way they handled the exceeding late cancellation of the Inaugural cruise with no regard to the impact on the non influencer paying passengers.  Their refusal to pay refunds promptly in the UK insisting on using MSC Ts and Cs did them zero favours.  Refunds only came last week.  Refund of a new voucher for the voucher that was used in part payment is still not with us, nor is the voucher for this cancellation.  (Just highlighting its still got a way to go to sort out its shore side efforts)

I too was` frustrated at the way third rate influencers were given such space and how they continue in some forums to viciously attack, even swearing anyone who posts who has highlighted deficiencies in the model.

However, I too am more positive about what I hear about the onboard experiences based on the feedback I am reading here and also the direct reports I am getting from people I know onboard who have cruised with other on other lines and are making informed comparisons ( both positive and negative)

God willing,  I too will have a first hand experience of the product.

You mean to tell me that there are other social media outlets that behave like the Crystal board.😀

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

That's great!  I didn't realize that you had rebooked!

Not a rebooking - we always had three cruises booked pre start.  It was tempting to cancel the other two but the penalties were to high and we had transatlantic flights booked.  

17 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

You mean to tell me that there are other social media outlets that behave like the Crystal board.😀

Even that board is not as vicious as this influencer 

• Like 1

Reply to Mr luxury

Yes, money oats a role of course but for us only one of several factors. In the end all the best ships are charging about $2000 per day per couple in comparable PHs. On EJ we get excellent venues on brand new ship. Pool a big plus. On Crystal we get movie theatre and top current affairs lectures as well as destination talks as well as well trained long time staff. On Silversea we get excursions included but good nit do great. 
i guess in the end itinerary and time of year that suits us is primary decider. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whipsnade said:

Reply to Mr luxury

Yes, money oats a role of course but for us only one of several factors. In the end all the best ships are charging about $2000 per day per couple in comparable PHs. On EJ we get excellent venues on brand new ship. Pool a big plus. On Crystal we get movie theatre and top current affairs lectures as well as destination talks as well as well trained long time staff. On Silversea we get excursions included but good nit do great. 
i guess in the end itinerary and time of year that suits us is primary decider. 

Actually; variety is the salt of life. Congrats!

Yes, variety too. Thirty years ago in luxury cruising you were limited to the failing Royal Viking and Vista and Sagafjord which were really liners not cruisers and the fledgling Silversea. Now we have at least two dozen luxury ships among a half dozen companies. Oh, the stress if it all making decisions about where, when and aboard what!!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Yes, variety too. Thirty years ago in luxury cruising you were limited to the failing Royal Viking and Vista and Sagafjord which were really liners not cruisers and the fledgling Silversea. Now we have at least two dozen luxury ships among a half dozen companies. Oh, the stress if it all making decisions about where, when and aboard what!!  

Went on Royal Viking  where i found the waiters snooty and a few stowaways on our Mexican riviera  cruise lol 

51 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

35 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Went on Royal Viking  where i found the waiters snooty and a few stowaways on our Mexican riviera  cruise lol 

I went on Royal Viking 33 years ago as a 27 year-old and had a blast!  It was 6 months after sailing on the brand-spanking new Celebrity Horizon and I was initially "what the $%#@*$ is this ancient garbage scow?"

I quickly fell into the groove and loved it!

I was able to afford it at the time as Royal Viking ran incorrectly priced ads one Saturday in the Toronto Star and at the time with Canadian Consumer Laws, they were forced to honour it!  I still remember it was "2-for-1" (when it really was 2-for-1) and  Canadian Dollars at Par" when it was supposed to be "or"!!!

Totally agree on all the choices available - starting young and being able to experience all the different lines from budget to luxury has been a privilege and a blast!  

That's why I'm excited about Explora - I don't just want a new ship or cruise line, I want a new way of considering how things work and are done.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I went on Royal Viking 33 years ago as a 27 year-old and had a blast!  It was 6 months after sailing on the brand-spanking new Celebrity Horizon and I was initially "what the $%#@*$ is this ancient garbage scow?"

I quickly fell into the groove and loved it!

I was able to afford it at the time as Royal Viking ran incorrectly priced ads one Saturday in the Toronto Star and at the time with Canadian Consumer Laws, they were forced to honour it!  I still remember it was "2-for-1" (when it really was 2-for-1) and  Canadian Dollars at Par" when it was supposed to be "or"!!!

Totally agree on all the choices available - starting young and being able to experience all the different lines from budget to luxury has been a privilege and a blast!  

That's why I'm excited about Explora - I don't just want a new ship or cruise line, I want a new way of considering how things work and are done.

I too am excited about our upcoming Explora journeys cruise. Lots to compare with  from over 40 pkus years cruising.  I recall in my early 30s traveling  on the Golden Odessey another no.longer existing cruise  line and was asked by an older fellow passenger how i was able to afford  the trip  and then was criticized because i had longer  hair  at the  time. I have a lot less hair these days lol

Thanks

• Like 1

Well you’ve found your niche with Explora. It is a new way. We were a little discombobulated when we got on over three weeks ago in Southampton. But now enjoying most of the new things and not missing old things like cruise director pep talks every few hours, pseudo Broadway shows with nice young kids lip syncing to recorded songs, absurd dress up welcome and farewell parties.  Also enjoying getting a new crop of pax every few days. Old pax you don’t like gone and new ones to annoy. 

if you only go back to Royal Viking you are just a kid. I was on the inaugural sailing of Swedish America’s Kungsholm which I last saw 20 years ago in Piraeus on her way to the breaker. Also on old Hanseatic of Home Lines that burned at pier in NYC in 1965. And a few other buckets. Then traveled in inside cabins. Remember them? Like sailing in a coffin!!

I’ll take the new!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Well you’ve found your niche with Explora. It is a new way. We were a little discombobulated when we got on over three weeks ago in Southampton. But now enjoying most of the new things and not missing old things like cruise director pep talks every few hours, pseudo Broadway shows with nice young kids lip syncing to recorded songs, absurd dress up welcome and farewell parties.  Also enjoying getting a new crop of pax every few days. Old pax you don’t like gone and new ones to annoy. 

if you only go back to Royal Viking you are just a kid. I was on the inaugural sailing of Swedish America’s Kungsholm which I last saw 20 years ago in Piraeus on her way to the breaker. Also on old Hanseatic of Home Lines that burned at pier in NYC in 1965. And a few other buckets. Then traveled in inside cabins. Remember them? Like sailing in a coffin!!

I’ll take the new!!!

My 1st cruise was Song of Norway in 1980 and was back on another cruise 6 months later and continue to this day. I did notice my 1st grey chest hair while on the Golden Odyssey of Royal cruise line. You have been at this cruising  a long time. Love it truly 

1 minute ago, Waltershipman said:

My 1st cruise was Song of Norway in 1980 and was back on another cruise 6 months later and continue to this day. I did notice my 1st grey chest hair while on the Golden Odyssey of Royal cruise line. You have been at this cruising  a long time. Love it truly 

13 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I’ll take the new!!!

I was born 10 years after Kungsholm's inaugural!!!

In 1989, my bf said that we should go on a cruise - both of us were in  our mid 20's. I was appalled at the suggestion but ultimately caved.  We flew to Barbados and boarded Chandris Fantasy's  Azur - a converted car ferry!  Chandris launched Celebrity and owned them for under a decade before they were acquired by RCCL.

You had to leave the cabin to change your mind and we howled with laughter (OK, 2 guys in their 20's) at all the sounds of all the people throwing up in the cabins around us. I think that this 15 000 grt ship would have pitched and rolled tied up in New York Harbour.

An addict was instantly born but so much of the cruising "schtick" hasn't changed. I think that's what surprised me about Regent .... it was a lot of the "same old" of the last 20 years but tarted up.

I wanted something "more" or different.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I was born 10 years after Kungsholm's inaugural!!!

In 1989, my bf said that we should go on a cruise - both of us were in  our mid 20's. I was appalled at the suggestion but ultimately caved.  We flew to Barbados and boarded Chandris Fantasy's  Azur - a converted car ferry!  Chandris launched Celebrity and owned them for under a decade before they were acquired by RCCL.

You had to leave the cabin to change your mind and we howled with laughter (OK, 2 guys in their 20's) at all the sounds of all the people throwing up in the cabins around us. I think that this 15 000 grt ship would have pitched and rolled tied up in New York Harbour.

An addict was instantly born but so much of the cruising "schtick" hasn't changed. I think that's what surprised me about Regent .... it was a lot of the "same old" of the last 20 years but tarted up.

I wanted something "more" or different.

Love it thanks

7 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Love it thanks

Had a memory flash back to the Ocean Islander a 275 passenger 4770 GT ship that was fantastic long ago up the Orinoco River 

One English female passenger a Barrister woukd often dance sans undergarments to the delight of the crew

2 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I went on Royal Viking 33 years ago as a 27 year-old and had a blast!  It was 6 months after sailing on the brand-spanking new Celebrity Horizon and I was initially "what the $%#@*$ is this ancient garbage scow?" - Lucky you!...

I quickly fell into the groove and loved it! - Extremely lucky you!!!...

I was able to afford it at the time as Royal Viking ran incorrectly priced ads one Saturday in the Toronto Star and at the time with Canadian Consumer Laws, they were forced to honour it!  I still remember it was "2-for-1" (when it really was 2-for-1) and  Canadian Dollars at Par" when it was supposed to be "or"!!! - Of course! Here in Portugal I ran on a similar situation back when I was on office, when one day, a TA, with whom we made huge business at the time, gave us a superb quote for a Cunard's Queens Grill suite for a QM2 transatlantic crossing by basically little more than a baseline Britannia stateroom... Of course a computer glitch Cunard had to honor over some Portuguese laws. Not for me, sadly... Wonderful for the couple whom had the privilege to be booked... From myself!... Those little moments are here to enjoy! Life is so short!...

Totally agree on all the choices available - starting young and being able to experience all the different lines from budget to luxury has been a privilege and a blast!  - Yes, it is. Said for the pandemic which has stolen us a few of those so good years to enjoy. Cruising is a privilege we must honor after all. No need for so much rant on social media outlets these days. We're among a small humanity's portion whom would be grateful life has permitted us to cruise. From a Carnival inside to an HL Europa II owner's suite, for all the same privilege! The seas are calling and we're fortunate to answer their call!... Obviously we should discuss personal experiences and point out general ones that aren't compatible with seas calling... But, either way; the sense of respect to the seas and privilege to respect them prevails!...

That's why I'm excited about Explora - I don't just want a new ship or cruise line, I want a new way of considering how things work and are done. - You won't be disappointed!... If MSC honors their full Italian ethos to the true luxury market, you'll find some little bugs and mysteries... But that will largely to be compensated with a very acquainted, happy even though reserved professionalism oriented service to go. When on holiday, us Europeans usually want our servers to deliver us service, not to have our waiters as our best friends for the week. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. That's how I envision EJ. That is how I hope things would work for me if I ever go. Their model has a wonderful design wise. I hope it works in the daily operations. There is a huge crowd for whom this should work. Hope they find that crowd at the same time that crowd approaches them. Hope you're part of that trend as well.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, no1talks said:

The way some of you are recalling your cruises from the days of yore, I'm surprised no one has mentioned their journey with Thor H. on Ra II.

That guy was an explora, for sure.

ra-ii_color1.jpg

Absolutely correct but maybe we just dont have such far recall lol thanks