Water for Shore Excursions and on Board

cotto22

I have not seen this discussed and since we are sailing in 10 days, am very interested in this topic. Does Silversea offer reusable water containers and refillable dispensers for shore excursions? We were on Regent in April, and this was the process they used. They also had still water in the room (or sparkling) in refillable containers as well as in restaurants. Of course, you could request brand name sparkling if that is what you wanted. I haven't seen any mention of this, but of course, I could have missed it.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, cotto22 said:

I have not seen this discussed and since we are sailing in 10 days, am very interested in this topic. Does Silversea offer reusable water containers and refillable dispensers for shore excursions? We were on Regent in April, and this was the process they used. They also had still water in the room (or sparkling) in refillable containers as well as in restaurants. Of course, you could request brand name sparkling if that is what you wanted. I haven't seen any mention of this, but of course, I could have missed it.

Thanks!

Can I politely request that you not use Comic Sans font. On my iphone it is almost unreadable. Please stick to the default font so that everyone can read your posts. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cotto22 said:

Thanks!

Lots of water of all types available for drinking. All expedition cruises give you reusable water bottles; we have quite a collection at home though some clumsy oaf has managed to break the plastic tops of a few so far (not saying who, but one hint, it isn't Chris).

On the non-expedition cruises we've taken they have not always given out the refillable bottles but there is always plenty of bottled water available at the gangway. We try to be good environmental stewards and if they're giving out single-use plastic bottles, we keep them and refill them ourselves. I've not heard of anyone going thirsty on a Silversea cruise so no need to worry.

On every Silversea cruise I've taken, they have refillable bottles in the stateroom fridge. I prefer the non-refillable (but replaceable) glass ones that are corked, contain about 85% water, with the rest alcohol and tannins, but the choice is yours.

One other thought - you could always ask your butler to bring water for you in preparation for your tours, if you aren't able to secure a reliable supply on your own...

@gnome12, I changed the font when I quoted the post, for your reading pleasure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Lots of water of all types available for drinking. All expedition cruises give you reusable water bottles; we have quite a collection at home though some clumsy oaf has managed to break the plastic tops of a few so far (not saying who, but one hint, it isn't Chris).

On the non-expedition cruises we've taken they have not always given out the refillable bottles but there is always plenty of bottled water available at the gangway. We try to be good environmental stewards and if they're giving out single-use plastic bottles, we keep them and refill them ourselves. I've not heard of anyone going thirsty on a Silversea cruise so no need to worry.

On every Silversea cruise I've taken, they have refillable bottles in the stateroom fridge. I prefer the non-refillable (but replaceable) glass ones that are corked, contain about 85% water, with the rest alcohol and tannins, but the choice is yours.

One other thought - you could always ask your butler to bring water for you in preparation for your tours, if you aren't able to secure a reliable supply on your own...

Thanks for all the great information. We have been on 4 SS cruises, but it has been 10 years since our last. We have mostly been on Regent and a few Oceania, and have gotten used to their procedures. We are really looking forward to returning to SS. We have this one booked in 10 days, and another at the end of February. And I apologize for the font issue. The comic sans was bigger, and it was easier for me to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Sadly you have to choose one emoji to comment on a post, and this one hits all the buttons!

I hate those metal water bottles [every excursion sounds like a really bad Latin Jazz band with no sense of rhythm:  clink ... clink ... ... clink clink ].  We have saved some of the older thick-plastic bottles that we refill – and guard carefully to protect both the landfill and our ability to keep using them!

DW is happy to drink any available water [even at home, where the newer regulations require adulterating it with so many chemicals that I can't stand the taste even after a 24-hour uncapped detox], but I'm a bit more fussy [bet you saw that one coming!].  Poland Spring if possible.  But if water has to be adulterated with other chemicals, I really like your recipe!!! 😉

And thanks for the font change in the quote.

10 hours ago, jpalbny said:

On the non-expedition cruises we've taken they have not always given out the refillable bottles but there is always plenty of bottled water available at the gangway. We try to be good environmental stewards and if they're giving out single-use plastic bottles, we keep them and refill them ourselves.

I keep one of the single use bottles in my cabin and refill it from the glass bottle in the fridge every morning.

On my recent cruise, this upset my butler who offered to bring me a new single use bottle every day, so I had to explain about the plastic waste.

In the great scheme of cruising, I know it doesn't make much difference, but I feel better doing this.

• Like 2

We are currently on Silver Shadow.

Have not seen any reuseable water bottles supplied by Silversea.

Glass bottles of water in the fridge, which we use to fill our own reuseable metal bottle.

Plastic bottles of water are at the gangway for you to take when you go ashore.