Canadian cellphone - Canada/New England cruise

Froufie

Not very tech savvy so hoping someone can help or explain.  I have a 'canadian' cellphone and will be cruising from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale.  I know in Quebec City and first port (Halifax) my phone would work 'normally'.  

I have ship internet so typically would put phone on airplane mode to avoid roaming charges - but not sure if I should still do this?  (at least until we leave Halifax?)...or do I leave it on airplane mode on the ship - to use their wifi?  and when in those 2 ports and can turn my roaming on/switch off airplane mode?

Do I even need to use the ship internet for the first few days?  

Any input greatly appreciated.  Thanks

We always have our phone on airplane mode when on the ship.  In your Canadian ports you can turn airplane mode off when on land.  

If you have internet included on the ship your phone should still be in airplane mode but wifi on as far as I know.  Hopefully someone that is more tech savvy will chime in.  There’s usually a paper in the cabin explaining how to use ship wifi.

• Like 2

For much of your cruise, even when in Canadian waters, you will not be in range of a land-based cell tower, so if you don't turn it off or put it in airplane mode, you will be routed through the ship's cell tower. That means if someone phones you, sends you an email or you get a notification, or if you try to use the internet, you will run up a very expensive bill.

Use it normally when in a Canadian port, but for the rest of the cruise, treat it in the same way as you would on a Caribbean cruise.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

For much of your cruise, even when in Canadian waters, you will not be in range of a land-based cell tower, so if you don't turn it off or put it in airplane mode, you will be routed through the ship's cell tower. That means if someone phones you, sends you an email or you get a notification, or if you try to use the internet, you will run up a very expensive bill.

Use it normally when in a Canadian port, but for the rest of the cruise, treat it in the same way as you would on a Caribbean cruise.

That's kind of what I thought!  I will use the ship wifi onboard (I am very familiar with setting that up/airplane mode off) but when in Canadian ports I can turn that off and use it normally

Thanks for your help! 🙂

We are in the same situation

so onboard the phone will be on airplane mode 

the when onshore in Canada  regular cell

If we need to call home will use What's app when in USA waters  with the wifi  connection

or I will just email on my laptop LOL

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We are in the same situation

so onboard the phone will be on airplane mode 

the when onshore in Canada  regular cell

If we need to call home will use What's app when in USA waters  with the wifi  connection

or I will just email on my laptop LOL

Whats app works very well for calling - have used it on many  cruise - as far away as Europe and Guatemala - just make sure your pals have it downloaded as well 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Whats app works very well for calling - have used it on many  cruise - as far away as Europe and Guatemala - just make sure your pals have it downloaded as well 🙂

Yes  just  a call to the cat sitter & she has it installed

• Like 1

If you’re heading to US ports and need cell service to call anyone who isn’t on WA, your cellular provider will have daily rates for US around 12-14/day that’s charged only if you use it. So keep your phone in airplane mode when in port in the US or you’ll incur charges if, for example your furnace people call you to schedule annual cleaning, or the Diabetes association wants donations, or your dentist calls you to change an appointment months away….etc. Enjoy! 

• Haha 1

Anyone who travels to the US with any regularity should explore the Canada+US Rogers Infinite plan. You can use your plan’s talk, text and data in the US just like you do here without any roaming fees. Other Canadian carriers may have similar plans.