Hull Cleaning for New Zealand Waters

kansas2018

17 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

This article is pretty old.

This happened in Jan 2023, that's not old.  The requirement come into affect June 2022.

https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards/112022-biofouling-and-water-cleaning

https://maritime-executive.com/article/new-zealand-australia-delay-cruise-ship-over-biofouling

Edited by North Vancouver Cruiser

1 minute ago, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

I haven't seen any reports of this problem since January.  If you are concerned you might want to cancel or rebook, but there have been many cruise ships port in NZ since.  Hopefully, these cruise ships are following the protocol that went into effect in 2022 and demonstrating they are mitigating for any potential problem.  

45 minutes ago, kansas2018 said:

The Noordam is sailing to Australia and New Zealand this October. Does anyone know if Holland has plans for cleaning the hull in order to avoid entry deninal

to New Zealand waters. This would really ruin a cruise for many passengers including myself.

Cruise companies know exactly what is required of them. If they wish to sail into a pristine natural area such as Fiordland National Park then ofcourse they need to ensure that they do not damage the environment. I don't ever remember HAL having any problem with complying with the requirement to have the hull inspected and cleaned.

I hope that you enjoy your wonderful cruise.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I haven't seen any reports of this problem since January.  If you are concerned you might want to cancel or rebook, but there have been many cruise ships port in NZ since.  Hopefully, these cruise ships are following the protocol that went into effect in 2022 and demonstrating they are mitigating for any potential problem.  

We are on a 94 day cruise around Australia and New Zealand so we are checking this out all paid up and tours booked.  Cruise season for Australia is Oct to Apr, so I was just wondering.   The ships that faced biofouling issues were: Queen Elizabeth, Azamara Quest, Coral Princess, Viking Orion, Regent's Seven Seas Explorer, Silversea's Silver Whisper, P&O Australia's Pacific Explorer and Ponant's Le Laperouse

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article/biofouling-the-issue-plaguing-new-zealands-cruise-industry-this-season/#:~:text=The ships that faced biofouling,Explorer and Ponant's Le Laperouse.

Third Australian cruise in weeks turns into 'nightmare' after fungus outbreak prevents entry into New Zealand

Edited by North Vancouver Cruiser
  • Like 1

Thank You Chengkp75 for your helpful reply. It was just recently brought to my attention that New Zealand has upped their stringency level concerning this issue ergo my concern. I am aware that Holland was not among the ships negatively impacted earlier. This tells me that Holland heard the warning, took the info seriously and acted appropriately  and if I am correct Kudos to them. This is a prime example of their sea going responsibility and why I am a fan....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

Queen Elizabeth

The QE2 a few months ago ran a short 2-day cruise from Melbourne to Davenport (in Tasmania) for those wanting to experience an ocean cruise. I had 3 friends on board for the cruise, and the ship was turned around in Tasmania for not complying with the issues mentioned above, so they stayed on the ship the whole time and sailed back the next day.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

It hasn't been an issue because ships heading to those waters got their hulls cleaned and during the Northern Hemisphere summer months the cruise ships repositioned to other cruising areas.

Rest assured, this will again be an issue for ships heading to NZ waters. If the ship isn't recently out of drydock, or had a diver inspection and/or cleaning of the hull, the ships have the potential for being banned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

Quite a bit involved in cleaning the Hull.  

Most of this video is not relevant to this thread. You have included a ship going into drydock that is being prepared for a new hull coating system. This is ultra high water blasting or abrasive blasting to what is most likely SA 2.5 or near white metal - a standard that both removes all existing coatings and marine growth, and provides a surface profile for the new paint to adhere.

The issue in New Zealand is removing marine contaminants, such as grass, barnacles, etc. This work is completed by divers, it does not require drydocking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The issue in New Zealand is removing marine contaminants, such as grass, barnacles, etc. This work is completed by divers, it does not require drydocking.

Eg: Coral Princess was found to have sea snails in discharge pipes. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, colbe said:

Eg: Coral Princess was found to have sea snails in discharge pipes. 

I recall hearing of the Coral's issues, but am surprised they were in discharge pipes, as most of the fouling issues have been in the sea chests, which are areas inside of the hull for intakes.

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, North Vancouver Cruiser said:

We sailed on Noordam from San Diego to Syndey (docking first in Brisbane) in November 2022, after the date cited above.  There didn't appear to be any issues with the dockings, since this is the first I've heard of this.  I did see some divers doing work on the ship when it was docked in Honolulu.  Could that have been for the fungus?

6 hours ago, Kiwifan56 said:

No disrespect but are you sure that is of Fiordland? Having been there several times by road (Milford Sound) and once by the Volendam it doesn’t look familiar. 

Doubtful Sound, I've seen Milford, Doubtful and Risky.

shipsinmanapouri.jpg.d315a3e2b3e8d92036e600ac4ba3730b.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 3:07 PM, kansas2018 said:

The Noordam is sailing to Australia and New Zealand this October. Does anyone know if Holland has plans for cleaning the hull in order to avoid entry deninal

to New Zealand waters. This would really ruin a cruise for many passengers including myself.

Why would one even raise such a negative question?  Has no bearing on whether a cruise ship can enter New Zealand waters.  Corporate and the master on board are well aware of any/all restrictions and plan accordingly.

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Why would one even raise such a negative question?  Has no bearing on whether a cruise ship can enter New Zealand waters.  Corporate and the master on board are well aware of any/all restrictions and plan accordingly.

There were some ships turned away as they had not adequately performed the hull cleaning.  

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/11346-cruise-ship-denied-entry-new-zealand

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The NZ Biofouling Requirements have been around since about 2018/19, so yes, you would expect the cruise lines should be very well aware of the requirement. As with nearly all shipping companies, just because they are aware of an issue doesn't always mean they will address the issue adequately.

Last year a number of cruise ships were banned from entering NZ waters due to various levels of hull fouling, particularly iwo sea chests. Based on NZ Regulations, hull fouling has considerable bearing on whether a ship can enter NZ waters for a long-stay, or access pristine areas of the coast.

Therefore, probably being one of the first arrivals in NZ waters this season, Kansas2018 posted a very valid question. Unless the ship has drydocked recently (within months), or hired divers to inspect and maintain a clean hull, the chance of being banned from NZ waters is a real possibility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1