Good wine

renebfl

Well, it would depend on where you are planning on buying it, what you like, white or red, how much you want to spend, what flavor profiles you like in wines you are familiar with, etc. Spain makes some very good wines but you are kind of growing a dart at the board here. 

When we were in Barcelona with Azamara, we did an evening event to a winery/vineyard at Sant Sadurni d'Anoia. It is one of the oldest Cava in Spain and had some every nice wines. Also killed a few bottles in Malaga.  Visit any wine/cheese shop and sample a few varieties. 

14 hours ago, renebfl said:

I’d like to have a bottle in hotel room but don’t have that much experience with Spanish wine 

How about a different wine?  I am thinking of a bottle of a fortified wine such as sherry as an example as most of the best sherries come from Spain and it would be difficult to go wrong with one. Or two!

You could for example have a dry or medium sherry before dinner and a sweeter dessert one after dinner, but really there are no rules and it is a personal choice. Should you decide on sherry, can personally recommend any of the Pedro Ximénez brand we have found to be very acceptable and which have won numerous awards over the years.

• Like 1

Will you be in Barcelona?  If so there is a good Carrefour supermarket half way along Las Ramblas which has a good wine selection downstairs.

4 suggestions -  

White - a well chilled Rioja Blanco is a lovely wine to sip on a balcony.  Go for a brand name such as Campo Viejo or Marques de Caceres.  Or, a rueda, which is a bit like sauvignon blanc, such as Marques de Riscal.

Rose - Just for a change try a well chilled Rioja Rosado - try El Coto or Cune.

Red - I know the first thought is Rioja, but try a bottle of Ribera del Duero.  Try Cune or Protos brands and a 'Roble' is very drinkable (even chilled on a hot day!) Crianza or Reserva will be a bit more expensive and not necessary for a hotel drink.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:23 AM, renebfl said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for wine? I’d like to have a bottle in hotel room but don’t have that much experience with Spanish wine 

I would bet that in all South Europe areas you will find good wine

Which one? Vega Sicilia is the best Spanish one. You can buy at Amazon starting on 400 euro

Obviously you can buy very very good wines for less than 10 euro. Of course.

Just to make it simple, go to a supermarket and buy the wine you want. 

Wines in a supermarket focus to be around the city it is located. This is, if you go to Barcelona, most of wines will be from Catalonia, although you will see from other regions of Spain.

I will encourage you to get wine from different regions. In almost all supermarkets, Rioja wines and Ribera del Duero wines (Douro valley near Valladolid) will be available..... but I will recommend you wines from my region too, of course: Cariñena, Somontano area, etc...

In addition

- there's no "green wine" like in Portugal

- there's rosé wine (called "Rosado") but it is not common. Spanish people drink white or Red wine onle

- there's barely sparkling wine (and most of it imported)

Spanish wines are focused in Red wine, called "Vino Tinto" (Tinto means Red in wines)

Vocabulary. 

Crianza. means it has been at least 6-12 months in an Oak Barrel before bottle up

Reserva. means it has been at least 12-24 months in an Oak Barrel before bottle up