Miami flight out at 10 AM

Wildcatllamas

Please don't kill me. I know this has been covered a lot but the search feature didn't pull anything up and I am dealing with a sudden schedule change with American. I was slated for a flight out to home at 1 PM arriving Colorado Springs at 5:15 PM. It appears that flight is off the books (and people complain about cruiselines) and I am now on a flight departing at 10 AM arriving in the Springs at 4:05 PM. My other options are at 2:02 PM or 3:30 PM both arriving in the Springs at 8:07 PM. I live an hour and a half from the Springs and have to be at work the next morning at 6 AM. I have checked all the other airlines going from both FLL and MIA and nothing is showing up close to what would be ideal. Now all of these are also looking at what will the weather be in Colorado on the return? 

So if the stars all align and the tides are just right  - the cab driver hits 90 to the airport - well you get the picture. Can I make it for a flight that early?

We once made a 9:50am flight out of Port Everglades/FLL with plenty of time to spare, we just made sure we were in the first walk-off group, and grabbed the first taxi we saw. No time to wait for an Uber.

You should have no problems clearing customs if this is just a closed-loop Caribbean sailing, but arrivals from Transatlantic sailings sometimes get more attention/scrutiny. 

Edited by CineGraphic

It's unpredictable. There are a bunch of things completely beyond your control, that you won't know the status of until that morning. If all of them go your way, sure it's possible. I would advise against planning on it, because there is no way of knowing until that morning.

If you are going to try and make it, not planning on checking a bag so you can avoid a line at the airline counter, and getting CLEAR so you can skip the line at security, are ways you can help yourself out in advance.

We walked off early.  We went down just after 7 and there was already a line (we were about 20th in line).  Right at 7:30 they let everone off and it went pretty quickly.  But no guarantees it will always be like that.

HOWEVER, when we got outside we needed a taxi and there were exactly 2, and we got the second one.  Since VV prides itself on letting you stay in your cabin until 10, and doesn't start boarding until after 2, there's not a lot of activity outside at 7:30 am.

I would make sure you have an Uber waiting.

AA changed my return flight last year- giving me less than a 30 minute layover at CLT. At the time, one of my flighmates was recovering from the ‘Vid and was using supplemental oxygen. Walking was a struggle, running was not an option. 
Complaining directly did me no good as I’m not an frequent flyer and those miles I’d cashed in weren’t exactly a concern. 
So… I ranted a little on SM (the bird app). Within a few minutes, I was asked to DM customer service. After explaining my situation, I was given the chance to change my flight to one that hadn’t been published yet. 
It never hurts to try…

• Like 1

IF EVERYTHING works perfectly, you can do self-disembarkation at 7am, catch a Lyft or Uber right outside the terminal, and be at the airport 20 minutes later.  

But.....if there is a medical issue or someone needs to be turned over to the local law enforcement (yes, it happens).....or the ship gets involved in a rescue at sea...or a million other possibilities, you may not make it.  Medical and legal situations are taken off before normal disembarkation starts.  There is so little distance between Bimini and Miami that an issue along that distance is unlikely.

The question you need to answer is, "What happens if I don't make it to the airport by 9 to catch the 10am flight?"  The later ones would be safer, but I understand your desire to get home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

So if the stars all align and the tides are just right  - the cab driver hits 90 to the airport - well you get the picture. Can I make it for a flight that early?

Advice from someone who has lived in or around Miami for 30 years - do the 2 PM flight.  Getting to MIA at 9 AM is 'possible' but everything has to go perfectly.  If it's a Sunday, there will be 8-10 other ships in port at the same time.  

Consider having breakfast in the Wake, a final latte, and a leisurely stroll down the gangway. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by raphael360
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to be on the phone today to get this changed over. This is the third time American has moved my flights up. Last year it moved an 8:15 AM flight out to a 4:55 AM flight. There is no one at the airport other then the folks at American gate and check in. I ended up with a 6 hour layover at DFW. So I complained when I called American and they kicked in a pass to their club. 

Thanks again - you're the best.

• Like 1