Taking Drugs into AU & NZ

Worldtraveler 4727

We are laving for AU & NZ soon.

Can anyone who has been there recently tell us exactly what you had to do regarding prescription and over the counter (OTC drugs)?

I understand all prescription drugs must be declared on a form before landing in AU.

Does one have to declare the OTC drugs you are bringing in? (i.e. Advil, Pepto Bismol, motion sickness medication, cold medication etc)

Upon landing, does Customs ask to see the drugs AND is it absolutely necessary to be carrying the prescription drug(s) script(s) or written authority from your doctor?

I understand the thought process of: Bring scripts or a letter for each drug "just to be safe."  We'd really love to hear from people who have been through the process recently. 

Thank you for your time.

My experience with Singapore (which is likely more restrictive) is that your proof of prescription isn't necessarily the script (which the pharmacies keep anyway or is often electronic) but the drugs are in packaging (usually the bottle) from the pharmacy clearly marked with your name and the contents.

5 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

We are laving for AU & NZ soon.

Can anyone who has been there recently tell us exactly what you had to do regarding prescription and over the counter (OTC drugs)?

I understand all prescription drugs must be declared on a form before landing in AU.

Does one have to declare the OTC drugs you are bringing in? (i.e. Advil, Pepto Bismol, motion sickness medication, cold medication etc)

Upon landing, does Customs ask to see the drugs AND is it absolutely necessary to be carrying the prescription drug(s) script(s) or written authority from your doctor?

I understand the thought process of: Bring scripts or a letter for each drug "just to be safe."  We'd really love to hear from people who have been through the process recently. 

Thank you for your time.

We always carry a letter with a list of all medications prescribed by our doctors. We have never been asked to produce the medications although we always have them in our carry on luggage. 

This is a copy of the Incoming Passenger Card you will complete before going through customs and immigration. Incoming Passenger Card

As you can see, you only have one box to tick. I have included the advice from the Australian Office of Drug Control for you to read. Just ensure all medication is in its original packaging, including over the counter.

Information re bringing in medications - Bringing Medications into Australia

• Thanks 1

A note regarding codeine as described in above link. Some OTC pain killers contain paracetamol plus codeine and don't need a prescription in some jurisdictions. If brought into Australia, they must have a prescription from a doctor.

Many years ago, codeine was legally obtained OTC in Australia and some travellers to Greece had problems where at the time it was prohibited there.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We always carry a letter with a list of all medications prescribed by our doctors. We have never been asked to produce the medications although we always have them in our carry on luggage. 

This is a copy of the Incoming Passenger Card you will complete before going through customs and immigration. Incoming Passenger Card

As you can see, you only have one box to tick. I have included the advice from the Australian Office of Drug Control for you to read. Just ensure all medication is in its original packaging, including over the counter.

Information re bringing in medications - Bringing Medications into Australia

Thank you, Leigh.

Incredibly helpful! 

Much obliged. 

~Kathy

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, yarramar said:

A note regarding codeine as described in above link. Some OTC pain killers contain paracetamol plus codeine and don't need a prescription in some jurisdictions. If brought into Australia, they must have a prescription from a doctor.

Many years ago, codeine was legally obtained OTC in Australia and some travellers to Greece had problems where at the time it was prohibited there.

Thank you. We will be sure to take note of this. 

4 minutes ago, compozer said:

Would printing off our list of meds from “my chart” be good enough?    I have meds from  my regular doc, oncologist and cardiologist.   Or do I need to have each doctors write a letter?   Thanks

This is what we did when we went to Australia and New Zealand last spring:  printed off our list of prescriptions from express-scripts.  DH had 2 others that were recently prescribed and not thru express-scripts so we just carried their receipts.  I used small pill baggies from Amazon for each prescription and taped the relevant paperwork info (patient's name, doctor's name, med, dosage, pill description) on the back of each baggie and wrote name, check marked am or pm.  We were traveling for more than 6 weeks so I took at least 8 weeks of each prescription.  The baggies take up no room and don't add any weight to my purse where I carry all prescription meds.

Amazon:  https://a.co/d/bNrXVnZ

One of DH's prescription was for steroids for severe back pain and he did declare that upon arrival in Australia.  The customs official took one look at an old guy doubled up after 19 hours of flying, didn't ask any questions, welcomed us to Australia and waved us on. 

Have a wonderful cruise.  We loved Australia and New Zealand.

• Thanks 5

12 hours ago, capriccio said:

This is what we did when we went to Australia and New Zealand last spring:  printed off our list of prescriptions from express-scripts.  DH had 2 others that were recently prescribed and not thru express-scripts so we just carried their receipts.  I used small pill baggies from Amazon for each prescription and taped the relevant paperwork info (patient's name, doctor's name, med, dosage, pill description) on the back of each baggie and wrote name, check marked am or pm.  We were traveling for more than 6 weeks so I took at least 8 weeks of each prescription.  The baggies take up no room and don't add any weight to my purse where I carry all prescription meds.

Amazon:  https://a.co/d/bNrXVnZ

One of DH's prescription was for steroids for severe back pain and he did declare that upon arrival in Australia.  The customs official took one look at an old guy doubled up after 19 hours of flying, didn't ask any questions, welcomed us to Australia and waved us on. 

Have a wonderful cruise.  We loved Australia and New Zealand.

Thank you so much for this!!

• Like 1

What about over the counter supplements, like Calcium, Vitamin E, etc? Do we need the original bottles for those as well? We buy extremely large bottles and was hoping not to worry about the big bottles. We use the tiny plastic bags as well when we travel. Will we be questioned since they are not prescription? We take quite a few different supplements. We would rather bring those in our carry ons in case our luggage is lost.

Any advise?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cleocruiser said:

What about over the counter supplements, like Calcium, Vitamin E, etc? Do we need the original bottles for those as well? We buy extremely large bottles and was hoping not to worry about the big bottles. We use the tiny plastic bags as well when we travel. Will we be questioned since they are not prescription? We take quite a few different supplements. We would rather bring those in our carry ons in case our luggage is lost.

Any advise?

We often have supplements with us and never really worried about them. No need to declare and if the cute little dogs that come up to you while in the customs line don't sit next to your bag, you will be ok

• Like 1