Next Dry Dock for the Sun?

aaaaa

7 hours ago, aaaaa said:

The only gap in sailings in the next year is from April 19, 2024, through May 1, 2024, in Seattle.  Could this be a dry-dock period?  Thanks for any information.

According to DNV (the Sun's class society), the intermediate bottom survey is due April 2024, so this is the likely dry dock date.

15 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Just looked at Norwegian's website about The Sun.  It says She was refurbished in 2021.  Might be some type of re-positioning or a charter.

As the Sun is more than 15 years old, she needs to dry dock "twice in 5 years", so the April 2024 date is right at the end of the window from the April 2021 dry dock (interval cannot be more than 3 years).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

According to DNV (the Sun's class society), the intermediate bottom survey is due April 2024, so this is the likely dry dock date.

As the Sun is more than 15 years old, she needs to dry dock "twice in 5 years", so the April 2024 date is right at the end of the window from the April 2021 dry dock (interval cannot be more than 3 years).

Chief,

What does the term" intermediate bottom survey" mean.  Is this something that can be easily done?

As always, I pray that all is well in your world.

55 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Chief,

What does the term" intermediate bottom survey" mean.  Is this something that can be easily done?

As always, I pray that all is well in your world.

Part of a dry dock inspection is the "bottom survey", which includes inspection of the entire hull surface below the water line, the pipe terminations and sea chests for piping, and the propellers, thrusters, rudders, and stabilizers. This includes testing hull plating for lost thickness (corrosion), and x-ray surveying of welds (again, corrosion). This bottom survey is the main reason for going into dry dock, and is the major "critical path" item for a dry docking (i.e. this is what determines how long a dry dock lasts).  As stated, for ships older than 15 years, this must be completed "twice in 5 years", or about every 2.5 years (can stretch to 3 years, but then the next dry dock is in only two years).  The term "intermediate" denotes that the bottom survey is being done at this intermediate (2.5 year) interval.  The ship's documents, and all surveys are on a 5 year expiration, so every 5 years is a "special survey" that completes all the surveys and documentation, and the dry docking in between these "special surveys" is the "intermediate" survey.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Part of a dry dock inspection is the "bottom survey", which includes inspection of the entire hull surface below the water line, the pipe terminations and sea chests for piping, and the propellers, thrusters, rudders, and stabilizers. This includes testing hull plating for lost thickness (corrosion), and x-ray surveying of welds (again, corrosion). This bottom survey is the main reason for going into dry dock, and is the major "critical path" item for a dry docking (i.e. this is what determines how long a dry dock lasts).  As stated, for ships older than 15 years, this must be completed "twice in 5 years", or about every 2.5 years (can stretch to 3 years, but then the next dry dock is in only two years).  The term "intermediate" denotes that the bottom survey is being done at this intermediate (2.5 year) interval.  The ship's documents, and all surveys are on a 5 year expiration, so every 5 years is a "special survey" that completes all the surveys and documentation, and the dry docking in between these "special surveys" is the "intermediate" survey.

WOW!!!  Sounds like a lot of hard work.

As always, Thank You for taking time to explain something.

Best Wishes Sir to you and to your family.

• Like 1

FWIW, one of our CC friends vacationing in Hawaii last month (not POA) was on the Sun's most recent TA & reported some cosmetic work/changes done, i.e. sofas and chairs in the atrium, lounges & similar public areas refreshed with new ones, and lowered seating heights (which, I supposed is good for some but not others) - more streamlined & modern look vs. the original dark wood tones used.  New curtains & trimmings, carpeting work done, but nothing really substantial above in the pax & pubic sections.  She continued onward to Miami before PC to the West Coast and some plumbing issues were reported.  

One minor but welcomed addition is that, their Oceanview cabin have the bedside LED lamps with the USB port for charging, which is always nice ... ship was sailing quite full so their upgrade bid didn't go thru but they're happy with their chosen cabin, as the early April crossing wasn't exactly warm & they missed ports en route but did stop at Bermuda.  Looking at the SMS/MMS messages send while at sea, satellite WiFi worked most of the time, slow as expected ... elevators were smaller than the Jewel/Dawn class, more comments & observations should be in recent CC reviews.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2023 at 10:59 AM, chengkp75 said:

The Sun's schedule also seems to have a 26-day gap in January 2026. Would it be reasonable to think that this may be used for the next dry dock?

Her schedule only goes up to 2 April 2026, so I suppose it could also be done then.

38 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

The Sun's schedule also seems to have a 26-day gap in January 2026. Would it be reasonable to think that this may be used for the next dry dock?

Her schedule only goes up to 2 April 2026, so I suppose it could also be done then.

Well, she'll need a dry dock in April 2024, but if you're asking about the one after that, January 2026 would be a little early for the next docking.  They will give you about 3 months ahead, so January is just outside that window.  It's possible, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, she'll need a dry dock in April 2024, but if you're asking about the one after that, January 2026 would be a little early for the next docking.

Thanks! And yes, sorry, I was asking about the one after April 2024 (which would, by now, seem to be a pretty reliable bet).

Was on the Sun in Oct and Nov. Told that they were dry docking for 2 weeks. One of the things that they will do is to upgrade furniture. I was complaining about the furniture is the lounges is so low that some of the chairs are difficult to get out of when you have bad knees and are somewhat tall.

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Any " spoiler" regarding any works in the staterooms? ( I am hoping they are getting rid the shower curtains)😇 

Also . I noticed that the capacity on their website has been reduced to a bit south of 1900 although ( from the plan of decks) it seems they are adding a new area?

Edited by Lellena

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 2:10 PM, chengkp75 said:

Well, she'll need a dry dock in April 2024, but if you're asking about the one after that, January 2026 would be a little early for the next docking.  They will give you about 3 months ahead, so January is just outside that window.  It's possible, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

As ever, your instinct was correct: that 26-day hole has now been filled (together with some other holes in her schedule).

I'm not sure the NCL website understands how the International Date Line works, but that's probably for another day and another thread.