Nice beach and great food with young kids

Anilo182

Hi there!

I am getting overwhelmed trying to find recent recommendations in Cozumel for my family in November. We need somewhere with fantastic food and a safe place for our young kids to have a great time. The kids are 10, 7 and 20 months old.

Originally I was looking at Playa Mia, but the reviews and photos of the food have changed that decision. I have instead found mention of Paradise Beach, Playa Palancar, and Allegro. Anyone with recent experiences at those and or others? We are not big drinkers so places that offer a price without alcohol included would be great.

Thank you so very much!

6 hours ago, Anilo182 said:

Hi there!

I am getting overwhelmed trying to find recent recommendations in Cozumel for my family in November. We need somewhere with fantastic food and a safe place for our young kids to have a great time. The kids are 10, 7 and 20 months old.

Originally I was looking at Playa Mia, but the reviews and photos of the food have changed that decision. I have instead found mention of Paradise Beach, Playa Palancar, and Allegro. Anyone with recent experiences at those and or others? We are not big drinkers so places that offer a price without alcohol included would be great.

Thank you so very much!

I don’t think you will find “great” food at a beach bar. 

We have enjoyed day passes to Park Royal in the past with a toddler for convenience. However a land vacation before cruising resumed wasn’t up to standard so I can’t comment on whether they are back to normal now.

My suggestions to check for mixed ages would be Chankanaab, or Buccanos for better food (but their pool was closed for renovations so checking on that would be a must for me).

Allegro and Palancar have better sand but food is OK not great and Palancar has no pool. Allegro has good kids pool.

For a quieter day Nachi Cocom may appeal but no water sports. It 

Edited by c-leg5

On 10/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, Anilo182 said:

I have put down a deposit at Paradise Beach. Our travel agent has been multiple times and also recommends it as a good place that the kids will enjoy.

We got to paradise beach every time we visit Cozumel! Good price, food is fresh and all you can eat. Lots of water toys, and the pool is great! Also a quick taxi ride. It’s a less party place then a few others, so good for kids 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, wolft927 said:

We got to paradise beach every time we visit Cozumel! Good price, food is fresh and all you can eat. Lots of water toys, and the pool is great! Also a quick taxi ride. It’s a less party place then a few others, so good for kids 

I also recommend Paradise Beach, and just to clarify they do have both an AI and non AI option

6 minutes ago, merinski said:

How do you get to Paradise Beach from the Princess port?

Walk out to the Street and simply grab a cab. Tell them you want to go to Paradise beach it is about 10 minutes from the pier. Also you may want to book in advance as it does fill up. Are you looking for the all inclusive deal or just admission? Also you can rent a Day bed for $50 per day which i thought was well worth it. 

Paradise beach has excellent facilities- clean and well maintained. Good fit for older kids and active adults. It wouldn’t be my first choice with young children due to crowding. YMMV.

The water inflatables are in deep water and require strength to access - just a caution depending on ability of child so they are not disappointed.

Food is good, (typical beach club menu) but definitely tourist prices if you do PAYG. Can become an expensive beach day PAYG or AI, especially if you add on water activities and extras. OK as long as you are prepared - many are caught unaware.

We don't have children with us. Just wanted a beach for a part day, and maybe get a pop and

a bite to eat. Do you know if it is good snorkeling? or is there somewhere else. We are going

to Chankanuub for one time, but trying to find something for our second stop there...

46 minutes ago, merinski said:

We don't have children with us. Just wanted a beach for a part day, and maybe get a pop and

a bite to eat. Do you know if it is good snorkeling? or is there somewhere else. We are going

to Chankanuub for one time, but trying to find something for our second stop there...

My comments above were fyi mainly for @Anilo182 in case they weren’t aware.

Snorkeling is not particularly good but it depends how experienced you are and what you are expecting.

If you don’t need the facilities of a large resort or AI and just want to snorkel and a snack I would check out websites and reviews for Sky Reef, Money Bar, El Cid, Del Mar, Tikila Bar, La Monina or Buccanos. (South to north)

Prices for taxis to all these places will be on a board at the port.  El Cid, Del Mar and Tikila/ Sunset Bar are within reasonable walking distance of Puerto Maya if you are active. Use Google maps for interactive walk. La Monina and Buccanos are north so slightly different to Chankanaab area. To get the best experience at any of these locations it is probably best to ask the locals regarding currents and areas to aim for. Between Tikila and Sunset are underwater statues. Offshore at El Cid is an underwater plane wreck I haven’t seen it, only read about it, and you would need a day pass from lobby.

1 hour ago, merinski said:

Thank you, I realize I asked out of topic for with young kids. Thank you though for this info. I will look into it.

The day pass at El Cid is for their facilities in case that wasn’t clear - not a pass to snorkel. 

It has been a long time since we were there but they used to do a minimum pass which allowed entrance and wifi with a credit towards food and drink, an AI expensive pass to include use of pool, or possibly a PAYG entrance. 

We have preferred Del Mar Latino in recent years for price and convenience if staying near the port. 

16 minutes ago, merinski said:

Do you have to have a pass to snorkel? and pay extra?

Thanks

No not to snorkel but if you choose El Cid you have to have a pass to enter - it is a hotel. A long time ago we did just purchase food and drink but I don’t know if that is possible any more.

Del Mar is $39 pp but it is AI and no transport required. Entrance con be a little rough, probably not great snorkeling.

Buccanos, I think is currently $20pp entrance credited to food and drink and has a pool and good food and will require taxi.

None of the locations require a pass to actually snorkel, as far as I know, but all will expect a food/drink purchase.

As I said they all have websites with details or TA reviews.

Edited by c-leg5

13 hours ago, merinski said:

Thank you, I realize I asked out of topic for with young kids. Thank you though for this info. I will look into it.

Cute puppy!

For what you want it will be hard to beat Money Bar - about a $12 cab ride from the piers, no admission fee, good food, rental gear if needed,  No beach - you enter the water via steps.  Lots of loungers and seating available.

6 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Cute puppy!

For what you want it will be hard to beat Money Bar - about a $12 cab ride from the piers, no admission fee, good food, rental gear if needed,  No beach - you enter the water via steps.  Lots of loungers and seating available.

You have a cute puppy too.

Thank you, I will check into it. Good to know the cab price too...

18 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

No not to snorkel but if you choose El Cid you have to have a pass to enter - it is a hotel. A long time ago we did just purchase food and drink but I don’t know if that is possible any more.

We were there about a year ago, and the pass was $25 with a $12 food/beverage credit.  You get use of snorkel gear for an hour.

43 minutes ago, Cuckoo7 said:

We were there about a year ago, and the pass was $25 with a $12 food/beverage credit.  You get use of snorkel gear for an hour.

Thanks for current pricing. That is the cheaper pass that we have also done in the past but i think it was under $20 then!

I wouldn’t do the full AI at El Cid but that is just our personal preference. It is good for a few hours.

On 10/11/2023 at 5:50 PM, c-leg5 said:

We have preferred Del Mar Latino in recent years for price and convenience if staying near the port. 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:13 PM, c-leg5 said:

Del Mar is $39 pp but it is AI and no transport required. Entrance con be a little rough, probably not great snorkeling.

For full disclosure, Del Mar Latino is adults (18+) only.  Anyone interested should check out their website to understand what they are and aren't.... not a party bar; they have a smallish manmade beach with chaise lounges and umbrellas and a smallish pool; and the beach doesn't lead down into water.  Instead there are stone steps down into the water.  

But for $39 AI and within walking distance of Puerta Maya (mostly Carnival Corp. brands) and the International Pier (most other lines), for me it's a great value for a relaxing beach/pool day, as long as you're not looking for a party beach or a beach with lots of watersports, inflatables, water activities, etc.  I'm usually in Cozumel on cruise 2-3 times a year, and this is the only thing I do there now.

8 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

For full disclosure, Del Mar Latino is adults (18+) only.  Anyone interested should check out their website to understand what they are and aren't.... not a party bar; they have a smallish manmade beach with chaise lounges and umbrellas and a smallish pool; and the beach doesn't lead down into water.  Instead there are stone steps down into the water.  

But for $39 AI and within walking distance of Puerta Maya (mostly Carnival Corp. brands) and the International Pier (most other lines), for me it's a great value for a relaxing beach/pool day, as long as you're not looking for a party beach or a beach with lots of watersports, inflatables, water activities, etc.  I'm usually in Cozumel on cruise 2-3 times a year, and this is the only thing I do there now.

Thanks +1.

you are correct on all counts. This thread as usual has become side-tracked and my suggestion was for someone without kids. I was giving them options to check out. 

All the options I suggested have websites for people to check the details but you are correct, despite Del Mar clearly describing their facility on their website many people fail to read carefully and are disappointed with lack of beach and small size. 

It is also our “go-to” facility on many visits from International, with a few other favorites rotated in for variety. No transport is convenient time-wise and the savings pay for one person’s admission.