Has anyone called to upgrade drink package since the "new pricing" scheme came out yesterday?

Josie201

I had read earlier FAQs about the cost reported to be $20 including gratuity to upgrade to premium drink package.   The cruise planner is still showing the original pricing, less the "fabulous" 5% so $18.99 per day plus gratuity.  I am going to call to upgrade with my Captains Club benefit but just wondering if there's any experience within the last day or two. 

Isn't the $20/day including gratuities a better price than my 10% CC's discount? Or does the 10% apply to the $20? Does anyone know?

Our cruise isn't until March so I'm going to wait to upgrade until I see what "discounts", if any, Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday bring.

• Like 1

To update:  I called today to upgrade my package.  The Captains Club agent was not aware of the new "$20 pp pd including gratuities" as of October 4 but said that likely meant cruises booked October 4 or later.  That's not what the FAQ says, but I didn't push it because I suspect that is the case anyway. 

So my cost was $20 pp pd plus gratuity less my 15% Elite Plus discount.  I'll see if there is any better sale before I sail but I just wanted to get it done, and the cost was mostly covered by OBC. 

22 hours ago, Josie201 said:

I had read earlier FAQs about the cost reported to be $20 including gratuity to upgrade to premium drink package.   The cruise planner is still showing the original pricing, less the "fabulous" 5% so $18.99 per day plus gratuity.  I am going to call to upgrade with my Captains Club benefit but just wondering if there's any experience within the last day or two. 

What (or why) do you think might be different?  The drink packages remain the same base cost so the upgrade should  also remain the same.  Assume by 'new pricing scheme' you mean the dropping of the gratuity in AI but that shouldn't impact this?

Oh and to the other question... the $20 does not include gratuities, that is added to that.  Also, discounts are added to the base ($20 in this case) and gratuity (tax) is calculated after.  You can confirm this by going through the motions online as if to purchase and add to cart, it will then present the real cost charged (you can remove from cart after).

Edit (too late I now see that you called and got answer).  Their answer is what  I would have expected that the FAQ and everywhere is confusing drink gratuity with gratuity/service charge.  This reminds me of when they more recently changed the packages and introduced the Zero package and the all the package descriptions were messed up and it was sounding like the zero stuff was included with Classic which made no sense whatsoever.  

Edited by poffles

37 minutes ago, poffles said:

Oh and to the other question... the $20 does not include gratuities, that is added to that.  Also, discounts are added to the base ($20 in this case) and gratuity (tax) is calculated after.  You can confirm this by going through the motions online as if to purchase and add to cart, it will then present the real cost charged (you can remove from cart after).

It may take some time for them to catch up but it clearly says including gratuity. 

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.09.25 AM.png

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It may take some time for them to catch up but it clearly says including gratuity. 

Very interesting ... would definitely be an unusual change that ultimately results in less $$ to Celebrity but they could surprise.

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Glad you copied/pasted what's shown in the link today.  In a few days, it may be changed without mentioning that the FAQ was revised.  😁

The way I interpret that is that the upcharge of $20 per day includes the gratuities on the beverages, but not on the plan price.     It's confusing because they charge gratuities on a plan, and they also charge them on a product (the drinks themselves), so it's hard to know for sure what they mean, but since they consistently charge grats on the plans, I would be willing to bet that Celebrity didn't mean to change that now, and instead mean that the $20/day charge includes the gratuities on the covered products.   

8 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Isn't the $20/day including gratuities a better price than my 10% CC's discount? Or does the 10% apply to the $20? Does anyone know?

Our cruise isn't until March so I'm going to wait to upgrade until I see what "discounts", if any, Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday bring.

Me as well