Challenge of exiting LAX with luggage

MimiDo

We spent last weekend in LA.  Since it was a short trip, we had just a small roller bag and 1.carry bag for the two of us. Even so, getting to the taxi/Uber area was challenging.  I would describe it as a 4 block walk crossing several streets, multiple 90 degree turns, several traffic lights, changing from one side to another when sidewalk is closed for construction, and many places where sidewalk was narrow and/or uneven.

We never saw the shuttle buses.  On the LAX website ut says shuttle drivers will not help you load luggage.

We’re booked on a cruise out of San Pedro in November — and we can’t imagine making that trek with a full-size suitcase with 4 wheels plus a carry-on bag each.  When we got home we booked the luggage forwarding service available thru Viking for our full size bags. It’s pricy, but still just a small percentage of overall cruise cost.

16 minutes ago, MimiDo said:

We spent last weekend in LA.  Since it was a short trip, we had just a small roller bag and 1.carry bag for the two of us. Even so, getting to the taxi/Uber area was challenging.  I would describe it as a 4 block walk crossing several streets, multiple 90 degree turns, several traffic lights, changing from one side to another when sidewalk is closed for construction, and many places where sidewalk was narrow and/or uneven.

We never saw the shuttle buses.  On the LAX website ut says shuttle drivers will not help you load luggage.

We’re booked on a cruise out of San Pedro in November — and we can’t imagine making that trek with a full-size suitcase with 4 wheels plus a carry-on bag each.  When we got home we booked the luggage forwarding service available thru Viking for our full size bags. It’s pricy, but still just a small percentage of overall cruise cost.

I'm curious which terminal you arrived at? There are supposed to be two taxi stands AT LAX proper, not the LAX-It area, for those who don't want to do the LAX-It thing dealing with buses or long walks. One is near Terminal 3 and another near Terminal 7, clearly marked on the LAX website.

https://www.flylax.com/lax-traffic-and-ground-transportation

We will be arriving at LAX Terminal 6 tomorrow and plan to walk from T6 to the nearest taxi stand at T7.

Edited by lx200gps

53 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm curious which terminal you arrived at? There are supposed to be two taxi stands AT LAX proper, not the LAX-It area, for those who don't want to do the LAX-It thing dealing with buses or long walks. One is near Terminal 3 and another near Terminal 7, clearly marked on the LAX website.

https://www.flylax.com/lax-traffic-and-ground-transportation

We will be arriving at LAX Terminal 6 tomorrow and plan to walk from T6 to the nearest taxi stand at T7.

We landed at 7 — the terminal rhat is closest to the taxi/Uber area.

i think only taxi’s, not ride share, are available at the taxi stands inside the parking garages and reportedly closer to the terminals.

4 minutes ago, MimiDo said:

i think only taxi’s, not ride share, are available at the taxi stands inside the parking garages and reportedly closer to the terminals.

That is correct, only taxis are using those two stands at T3 and T7. We'll stick to taxi if it means not having to deal with LAX-It.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, MimiDo said:

We landed at LAX Terminal 6 a few hours ago and did the taxi routine from T7 rather than deal with LAX- It. When we left T6 the crowds waiting for all the different buses, including the LAX-It buses, were massive, total pandemonium, and the LAX-It buses looked to be SRO, near capacity. We walked the 100 yards from  T6 to just past T7, where small yellow TAXI signs appeared, and they led to the taxi stand. The T7 taxi stand is not in the parking garage, but is located right outside and past T7.  Not surprisingly, there are no taxis lined up waiting for passengers, and a sign gives the phone number to call. A few people in the line behind us called and asked for taxis to be sent, my Canadian cell phone, being U/S.  The taxis trickled in one at a time, and we waited probably 10 minutes total for our taxi to arrive  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Thank you so much for the update! To clarify, someone else had to call a taxi for you because your Canadian cell didn’t work?

Correct. It was not really a case of someone having to call for us, everyone in the line was calling pretty much at the same time anyway and they just asked for a bunch of taxis to be sent, as there were probably 10+ people in line waiting.  Also, as we walked from T6 towards the taxi stand, I asked an airport employee exactly where the taxi stand was, as there are no signs showing it until you are almost on top of it. He replied that we had to take the LAX-It bus, as there is no taxi stand at the airport proper. He was surprised when I told him there was.

For some reason, my Bell phone wouldn't connect for a voice call, though when roaming in the US, data and SMS work fine. I'll have to look into my Bell Roaming  details, perhaps it doesn't cover voice calling.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

Thanks again. When you exit from Terminal 6, is the taxi stand at Terminal 7 to the left or to the right? 

As soon as you exit the baggage claim area in T6, turn right and keep walking, hugging the T6 and T7 wall. It was probably about a 10 minute walk. Eventually, you will see the yellow signs and arrows pointing to the taxi stand. The taxi stand is at the far east end of T7, IOW walk past T7 until you see it.

• Like 1

After reading through this very helpful thread I have a query.

My DH & I will be coming into LAX in January. I must admit we usually try to avoid LAX due to our last visit we had and haven't been for ~10 years. We will be arriving after a long haul flights from Perth to Singapore to LAX.

After reading this I have decided it will be less stressful to organise a pick-up such as Welcome pick-ups. We are arriving at Terminal B so can they meet us there?