Regatta bathroom/shower size vs Sirena

lightsleeper

On 3/18/2024 at 4:52 PM, Kay S said:

"Preferred" is subjective, I think.  I've been on the R class ships before, and I really like the small ship atmosphere.

We’re the same way.  We enjoy the extra space, especially in the terrace cafe, and the dining options on the larger ships…but there’s just something about the smaller more intimate R class ships that we like better. Yes, even with the tiny bathrooms. 🙂 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 4:43 PM, julia said:

Recently off Regatta, our 33rd cruise, first time on O.  We have always booked verandah cabins, which work fine for us.  I'd read many posts about the bathrooms on this class, and was prepared for it, but the small shower was still shocking. 😲  Really.  My guy is 6'5", 250, and he had to stand sideways (never complained) to shower.  It was manageable for the week, but could be a deciding factor when considering a long cruise.

20230920_153535.jpg

Are there any shelves or drawers in the renovated  bathroom 

Just a word about the "R" ships for those who may not know the history.  There were 8, identical ships (down to the same soap dishes) built for Renaissance (hence the "R") Cruise LInes,  We actually had breakfast with the knighted English marine architect who owned the London firm that designed the ships.  He told us that when he met with the owners and bankers behind Renaissance they told him (at lunch) what they wanted and he quickly sketched a ship on a napkin.  They told him to build 8 ships that were to be exactly the same.  And they also decided to simply call them R1 - R8.  

Through the years, and after Renaissance's bankrupcty, those 8 ships moved around between O, Princess, and Azamara.  While the ships have all undergone modifications, the original cabin bathroom sizes have not changed (except where some cabins were converted to larger suites) because it is simply too expensive to do that kind of redesign.

This is one reason why DW and I have not cruised on any of O's R ships and also stopped cruising on Azamara.  We prefer ships that have bathrooms where there is room to breathe :).  

Hank

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a word about the "R" ships for those who may not know the history.  There were 8, identical ships (down to the same soap dishes) built for Renaissance (hence the "R") Cruise LInes,  We actually had breakfast with the knighted English marine architect who owned the London firm that designed the ships.  He told us that when he met with the owners and bankers behind Renaissance they told him (at lunch) what they wanted and he quickly sketched a ship on a napkin.  They told him to build 8 ships that were to be exactly the same.  And they also decided to simply call them R1 - R8.  

Through the years, and after Renaissance's bankrupcty, those 8 ships moved around between O, Princess, and Azamara.  While the ships have all undergone modifications, the original cabin bathroom sizes have not changed (except where some cabins were converted to larger suites) because it is simply too expensive to do that kind of redesign.

This is one reason why DW and I have not cruised on any of O's R ships and also stopped cruising on Azamara.  We prefer ships that have bathrooms where there is room to breathe :).  

Hank

Thanks Hank

We sailed on the 1st group of R ships with Renaissance early in its existance. There were problems with their execution of business plan as we flew to And back from the cruise to Europe on charter flights with all passengers. It was very interesting as on the way to the cruise the fellow passengers  were friendly and nice however on the return flight people were absolutely nasty.

In addition the beds were terrible. Otherwise enjoyed. Since that time we have sailed on R ships with Azamara and had a fantastic cruise experience and twice on R ships with O. Cabins are indeed small. The most recent cruise on Sirena an R ship we booked a PH and that made a ton of difference to the positive.

1 hour ago, Acrusa said:

Are there any shelves or drawers in the renovated  bathroom 

There are shelves behind the mirror, under the sink, and above the toilet. I don't remember any drawers.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 4:52 PM, Kay S said:

"Preferred" is subjective, I think.  I've been on the R class ships before, and I really like the small ship atmosphere.

What I prefer may not be your choice. Having been on R ships(Oceania and Azamara), I like the larger O  ships more than R ships.  I did enjoy cruises on R ships.  Marina, Riviera, and Vista have bigger cabins, beautiful bathrooms with space, and more dining venues.  I like small ship for some itineraries. Windstar is my choice overall.

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

What I prefer may not be your choice. 

Exactly.  I may be in the minority about this, but the size of the bathroom is the last thing I worry about when choosing a cruise (or a ship.)  I live in a 100 year old house with small bathrooms, and neither my husband nor I are especially large people, so I can make do with a small cruise bathroom where I won't be spending all my time anyway.  Tastes vary.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 4:29 PM, Kay S said:

I live in a 100 year old house with small bathrooms

You sound like me. I lived for many years in a small cottage in a highly desirable location. Upstairs was a bathroom that in truth was no larger than the ones on the R-class ships.

I used to tell people that I was the only person in the world to board a cruise ship, look in the bathroom, and say "My, how roomy!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 9:55 AM, deck chair said:

Great question!!  I was very concerned about noise with that cabin.  It tuned out it was wonderful.  No noise and very convenient.  On rare occasions there would be some minor noise when the port side on deck four was used for the gangway and that was only when they were setting up.  Normally, the gangway was located on deck 3 so far away.   Do not be concerned.  I would take that cabin in a heartbeat.  

Thank you for the cabin info. I’ve been searching for deck 4 Insignia reviews so appreciate the info especially about the reception area.

Brenda 

plancruisenow@gmail.com if you have any other insights

Many thanks to all

On 3/23/2024 at 8:40 AM, AMHuntFerry said:

There are shelves behind the mirror, under the sink, and above the toilet. I don't remember any drawers.

There are shelves behind the mirror and under the sink.  It is tight but the space has been put to good use.  
I haven’t had an issue with the shower. I can turn around , bend over when I dropped the shampoo.  It is small.  I’m a normal sized human. Would I do it again? Probably not. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:05 AM, Acrusa said:

is there still a round stool in front of the dresser or did they put a chair with a back like on the O ships 

Still a stool in front of the dresser.