What will happen for cruises leaving Haifa (Isreal)

PBM13

13 hours ago, RD64 said:

Common sense seems to be in short supply, with many expecting the cruise lines to move mountains to accommodate their vacation plans.

Oftentimes I wonder what line of work some of my fellow posters are in/were in when they worked. Apparently they were all perfect. It seems some people get irate if the cruise line hasn't revamped the entire website, rescheduled all of its current and future passengers and pulled or edited every cruise that included stops in a now restricted area. I'm guessing these people worked at businesses that never did anything wrong or failed to fix something instantly. I wonder: how would they run a cruise line? They seem great at complaining, so OK? How would they do any better?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Oftentimes I wonder what line of work some of my fellow posters are in/were in when they worked. Apparently they were all perfect. It seems some people get irate if the cruise line hasn't revamped the entire website, rescheduled all of its current and future passengers and pulled or edited every cruise that included stops in a now restricted area. I'm guessing these people worked at businesses that never did anything wrong or failed to fix something instantly. I wonder: how would they run a cruise line? They seem great at complaining, so OK? How would they do any better?

And not only perfect, but complex problems like finding a new port at the last moment must be done immediately!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

They are not selling cruises to Israel this month! If an Israeli port is showing, it only means they have not yet either cancelled the cruise or finalized the alternative port or sea day.

They are selling cruises featuring stops in Israel next month.  Obviously someone would need to be crazy to book it in the expectation of actually visiting Israel but they should at least remove Israel from the sales spiel.

Incidentally, I'm booked on one of these cruises and I can still book NCL shore excursions for Haifa and Ashdod.  Again, no sane person would, but why even allow it? 

Aside from this I'm in the "give them a chance" camp.  It is undoubtedly a difficult situation to manage and a bit of patience goes a long way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Akhunter02 said:

i spoke with NCL yesterday  new itinerary should be out today  for those who wish, they will give you a credit for the price of your state room things like Texas prepaid packages. Excursions will be refunded.

Did you speak to someone over the phone? Everyone I have spoken to has no information to give.

3 hours ago, Oil said:

Did the cruises visiting Israel get cancelled or are they modifying it. The November cruises of Epic disappeared from the booking site

At this time, all NCL cruses are modified. They probably took down the Epic until after they change the Debarkation/Embarkation port in Haifa. NCL has not yet officially changed the port for the Epic cruises.

Still see the Epic listed on Athens Port of Authority schedule for 11/20.  Has anyone heard from NCL yet to confirm this is truly the new port of departure?   I’m hoping to stay in Cairo now a few days ahead instead of Tel Aviv and then book a short flight to Athens.  One thing traveling has taught me is that being flexible and making Lemonade out of Lemons is part of the adventure.   Please let me know if anyone hears from NCL that Athens is indeed where the cruise will start.  

8D6A1ADE-DEE3-4A83-926A-AD1217F277BE.png

Edited by Valposada73
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

When 12 other cruise lines are also looking for those ports at the same time!

Plus, it's not just securing ports.  They're scrambling to source provisions, excursions, pilots, fuel, airline seats. etc.  Then add in the other 12 cruise lines all working/competing to do the same.  This is not an easy one-step process. 

Edited by Girr
Adding info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Girr said:

Plus, it's not just securing ports.  They're scrambling to source provisions, excursions, pilots, fuel, airline seats. etc.  Then add in the other 12 cruise lines all working/competing to do the same.  This is not an easy one-step process. 

Agree, I do understand the frustration but NCL had no idea a war was going to break out there. Trying  to make adjustments for a cruise only weeks away, throw in NCL BOGO air into the mix and it's a logistical nightmare

• Like 1

A major factor going forward is the customer base.

Even if it was all over tomorrow people will not be booking cruises with stops in Israel wanting to see a significant period of stability.

Cruise lines can't risk drops in demand they need to come up with attractive alternative itinerary.

Cruise lines will be taking that into account for how far ahead they reschedule.

They need to fix the immediate ones first.

Look how many stopped booking Baltic cruises because of Ukraine.

Baltic was no where near Ukraine.

The modified itinerary without St.P. were pretty good took a while to get people back.

Many were still booking eastern med which was much closer to the conflict area.

People are already starting to reconsider the relocation cruises through Suez as that is close to the current conflict.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Girr said:

And yet people call and complain when they cannot get an immediate answer as to what modifications will be done. (And then some of them come and rant on there boards.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Personally as most if not all flights to Tel Aviv have been cancelled and carriers will refund as long as NCL is at least offering a 100% FCC I’d cancel and rebook something else.

Sadly I’ve always desired to visit Israel but never pursued it as the entire area is a tinderbox, ready to blow up at any given time. Guess I’m just a sissy 

• Thanks 1

Another Epic port currently considered "at risk" per the news report below is Cyprus.  Depending how this all escalates, ports in Turkey may not be friendly either. 

We have decided not to wait to see how this escalates, and have accepted NCL's offer of 100% Future Cruise Credit plus refund of taxes and excursions, and have cancelled our cruise.   We understand everyone's disappointment and our hearts and prayers go out to everyone in Israel or who has family in Israel. Be safe everyone.

One additional point that NCL conveyed directly to us is that the FCC will not be posted until closer to actual departure date, and due to the significant number of people who have already cancelled, NCL will make their ultimate decision on whether cruise happens at all based on some magic number of the passengers that remain. Unfortunately, for all of us who were hoping day after day after day that there would be an official announcement, it may still be a while.

IMG_6953.thumb.jpeg.f6417bc183fa4c4b5a38dbc2fa58443f.jpeg

Edited by lifeintravel86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lifeintravel86 said:

Another Epic port currently considered "at risk" per the news report below is Cyprus.  Depending how this all escalates, ports in Turkey may not be friendly either. 

We have decided not to wait to see how this escalates, and have accepted NCL's offer of 100% Future Cruise Credit plus refund of taxes and excursions, and have cancelled our cruise.   We understand everyone's disappointment and our hearts and prayers go out to everyone in Israel or who has family in Israel. Be safe everyone.

One additional point that NCL conveyed directly to us is that the FCC will not be posted until closer to actual departure date, and due to the significant number of people who have already cancelled, NCL will make their ultimate decision on whether cruise happens at all based on some magic number of the passengers that remain. Unfortunately, for all of us who were hoping day after day after day that there would be an official announcement, it may still be a while.

I’m sorry you had to cancel your cruise but imo a wise choice. That area will be unstable for months not days or weeks. I hope you find a replacement that you can enjoy

2 hours ago, lifeintravel86 said:

Did you speak with a representative directly and receive the offer? Are you on the 11/20 embarkation? Still haven't received any notification/information whatsoever via email or on our reservation info on line.

On 10/13/2023 at 6:43 PM, Jetstreamer said:

They are selling cruises featuring stops in Israel next month.....

Incidentally, I'm booked on one of these cruises and I can still book NCL shore excursions for Haifa and Ashdod.  Again, no sane person would, but why even allow it? 

Stopping sales process of future cruises is for sure the last thing they are currently thinking of.

They are trying to find solutions for the cruises already being in that area or starting shortly. Once they have found solutions,they will find solutions for the cruises being in that area in a more distant future.

And once they have found solutions therefore as well they will update their website with updated itineraries and updated excursion options.

2 hours ago, Go2SeaTheWorld said:

Did you speak with a representative directly and receive the offer? Are you on the 11/20 embarkation? Still haven't received any notification/information whatsoever via email or on our reservation info on line.

We waited and did not receive any direct notification either.  At the point where we became uncomfortable hearing nothing regarding what is happening with the Epic, we simply called and asked what our options were (that was 2 days ago - Friday).  After we talked it over between ourselves we called back today (Sunday) and accepted the offer.

Edited by lifeintravel86
  • Like 1

I just called and NCL told me that we have two options:  1.  to cancel and receive a future credit.  2. That the ship is currently still leaving from Haifa and they’ve been told by authorities that the airport and port aren’t affect by the war.   So, go as is planned with the caveat that certain ports en route may change.   I asked how much time we would be given to change flights if and when the Haifa changes as the port of embarking… and then she repeated the same line that authorities are telling them it’s currently ok to sail from Haifa. 

i am on the 11/20 Epic.   Has anyone else called that’s on this same cruise and received this same communication?

29 minutes ago, Valposada73 said:

I just called and NCL told me that we have two options:  1.  to cancel and receive a future credit.  2. That the ship is currently still leaving from Haifa and they’ve been told by authorities that the airport and port aren’t affect by the war.   So, go as is planned with the caveat that certain ports en route may change.   I asked how much time we would be given to change flights if and when the Haifa changes as the port of embarking… and then she repeated the same line that authorities are telling them it’s currently ok to sail from Haifa. 

i am on the 11/20 Epic.   Has anyone else called that’s on this same cruise and received this same communication?

Contrary to what you have been told - assuming that you have been keeping abreast of current events - do you seriously think that any cruise will be leaving from Haifa this year - and probably next year as well?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Contrary to what you have been told - assuming that you have been keeping abreast of current events - do you seriously think that any cruise will be leaving from Haifa this year - and probably next year as well?

I also think that the ship will not be able get an insurance coming into a warzone. So for sure it will avoid this area

• Thanks 1