NCL Breakaway - diverted to help migrant boat

ButterflyGirly

We were supposed to stop in Catania, Sicily this morning. The captain announced at 7am that we would instead have a day at sea.  Last night around midnight the Italian coast guard received an SOS from the migrant boat that they were drifting at sea.  We were the closest passenger ship so the captain responded to the call. Along with a cargo vessel, the Breakaway provided support to the 2 Italian coast guards boats to get the 200 migrants safely onboard with the coast guard. We to the 4 hour delay we were not able to call on Catania. 

Although I am disappointed to miss Catalina, I am grateful that 200 souls were saved. For me it is just a stop along they way…for them it was their lives. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Just now, justhappy said:

Being a big fan of Captain Kate and watching her TikToks, it is required of any ship that can to give assistance to any other vessel at sea in an emergency situation like that. I believe it’s part of SOLAS.

It is part of SOLAS. I'm happy they were able to provide assistance, but I'm also sorry for the passengers who paid good money to visit Catania and then weren't able to. Without going into too many specifics, not every rescued vessel is a heartwarming story.

• Like 5

👌Bravo to the master of the vessel on the Breakaway, officers & crews to honor the saving of lives at sea, regardless ... 👍

"International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea (IMO 1974) states that “the master of a ship at sea, on receiving a signal from any source that a ship or aircraft or survival craft there of is in distress, is bound to proceed with all speed to the assistance of the persons in distress informing them if possible that he is doing so.”

Exceptions to this exist, but they don’t seem to detract much from a master’s underlying obligation to lend a hand. A second convention (The International Convention on Search and Rescue - IMO 1979) also contains language imparting a duty on its signatory states to render assistance. This includes the following: “Parties [to the Convention] shall ensure that assistance is provided to any person in distress at sea.”

This Convention also includes language specifically underscoring the intent to assist all persons without regard to their nationality or the circumstances."

• Like 2

We were on the Breakaway last fall and stopped twice for refugee boats off the coast of Cuba. 

This boat was waving shirts for help and was taking on water. In coordination with the coast guard and US immigrations, the refugees were brought aboard via tender and taken with us to Miami. 

IMG_0875.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, justhappy said:

Being a big fan of Captain Kate and watching her TikToks, it is required of any ship that can to give assistance to any other vessel at sea in an emergency situation like that. I believe it’s part of SOLAS.

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Exceptions to this exist, but they don’t seem to detract much from a master’s underlying obligation to lend a hand

The biggest exception to this is that the Captain has an overriding responsibility to his/her ship, crew, cargo, passengers, and the environment.  So,a Captain does not have to render assistance if doing so would endanger the ship, crew, cargo or passengers.

And, the SAR convention does require the nation providing SAR functions to essentially do so without consideration of risk.  The US Lifesaving Service (one of the precursors of the USCG) had a motto that "you gotta go out there, but you don't gotta come back".

• Like 2