Internet Question

pilot

I am planning to pre purchase the Internet package for my cruise in February.

They have 2 packages:

Premium Internet Plan - 7 Days  $127.99

Multi Device Premium Internet - 7 Day  $183.99

My question is can I have 4 different devices, i.e., 2 IPhones and 2 IPads logged in at the same time?

Was going to purchase 2 separate plans for $127.99 each, but the Multi Device Plan looks like a better deal.

With one plan you get one connection at a time... You can log off one device and switch to another but you cannot have two apple devices connected at the same time.

I will need to let someone else answer regarding the maximum devices you can have on the multi plan... As I am android I only ever buy the single device plan 

Edited by ferretktf

Just from a cheapskate viewpoint (me), we used to just get 1 plan and take turns logging in as needed since we didn't use our phones except wifi calling (even with a teenager many years ago). Then we got separate plans so one of us was not "patiently" waiting to use the internet. And at times depending on where you are in the World, the ship does not have internet so we had a few days "wasted" and didn't splurge on wifi  (until HIA came with "free" internet). Definitely purchase a premium plan prior to boarding (as it used to increase on board) but it will depend on how often you need internet, what itinerary you are on and if you need 4 devices connected at one time. Each device would either share a login (multi device) or have its own login (single device) but I would think it would put more load on the bandwidth with four (again probably depends on ship and satellite) and may affect performance but have not tested it with more than 2 devices. 

Yes I understand how the single plan works. 

What I don't understand is their statement "...all must be using the same Navigator credentials ".

I want to log in 2 devices and my wife will log in 2 devices. 

Want to make sure I can log into all 4. 

34 minutes ago, pilot said:

What I don't understand is their statement "...all must be using the same Navigator credentials ".

You each need a separate log in to Navigator app or HAL website if on laptop/pad.

The person that is logged in is connected to the plan purchased for that person/log in. So if you purchased a multi plan, everyone, on each device, would need to log into your navigator account to use the plan. Your wife could not log in under her account unless she has purchased a package under her account. A multi package only allows you (the purchaser) to log in on multiple devices but has to be logged in under the purchased account. Maybe one day they will allow access by cabin and allow multiple cabinmates to use the cabin wifi, but that would limit their profits (and overload the system). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

You each need a separate log in to Navigator app or HAL website if on laptop/pad.

The person that is logged in is connected to the plan purchased for that person/log in. So if you purchased a multi plan, everyone, on each device, would need to log into your navigator account to use the plan. Your wife could not log in under her account unless she has purchased a package under her account. A multi package only allows you (the purchaser) to log in on multiple devices but has to be logged in under the purchased account. Maybe one day they will allow access by cabin and allow multiple cabinmates to use the cabin wifi, but that would limit their profits (and overload the system). 

This is what I thought.

So it sounds like I can log in her devices as long as I use my Navigator account?

Just now, pilot said:

This is what I thought.

So it sounds like I can log in her devices as long as I use my Navigator account?

Correct. You can use anyone's device on the ship, but you have to log in under your credentials. And then remember to log out when you are done. Which is harder to remember. 😁. In the old days when they charged by time, people would forget to log out and find a large bill. Now, even if you have a single plan and try to log into a device, it will ask you if you want to kick off the other device (unless you have a multi device plan). 

3 minutes ago, pilot said:

This is what I thought.

Yes, that is true. My sisters and I shared the multi on my account on the world cruise earlier this year. It worked well, especially as we needed to do banking, etc., on occasion and needed a two-factor ID. So with two you could get the secret code on your phone that you needed to input on your laptop.

the only thing to watch is that the second person doesn't forget that he/she is logged in as you and, for example, send a Navigator text or add daily events to your calendar. At first I couldn't figure out why I was getting reminders for lectures, etc., that I hadn't signed up for.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Yes, that is true. My sisters and I shared the multi on my account on the world cruise earlier this year. It worked well, especially as we needed to do banking, etc., on occasion and needed a two-factor ID. So with two you could get the secret code on your phone that you needed to input on your laptop.

the only thing to watch is that the second person doesn't forget that he/she is logged in as you and, for example, send a Navigator text or add daily events to your calendar. At first I couldn't figure out why I was getting reminders for lectures, etc., that I hadn't signed up for.

Thanks. This was the info I was looking for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pilot said:

I want to log in 2 devices and my wife will log in 2 devices.

I just have to ask...how is each of you going to be using two devices at the same time?  Either you are real internet junkies and can look back and forth between say a phone and a tablet/laptop at the same time, or you don't understand how this works.  I suspect all you really need is 2 devices at a time.  So you are using your phone, then you want to change to using your tablet/laptop.  You simply logoff one device and log on the other. It is really simple and easy and that counts as 1 device at a time.  Your wife does the same with her two devices, which together counts as a second device.

I pre purchased the premium plan for one device. My one device is a router with my PC's MAC address cloned onto it. We'll use two phones, two tablets a Kindle and a PC. The set up is a bit technical, but it works well.

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

I just have to ask...how is each of you going to be using two devices at the same time?  Either you are real internet junkies and can look back and forth between say a phone and a tablet/laptop at the same time, or you don't understand how this works.  I suspect all you really need is 2 devices at a time.  So you are using your phone, then you want to change to using your tablet/laptop.  You simply logoff one device and log on the other. It is really simple and easy and that counts as 1 device at a time.  Your wife does the same with her two devices, which together counts as a second device.

No, not internet junkies. 

Price for 1 device is $127.99. So for 2 devices is $255.98, one for me, one for her.

The multi 4 device plan is $183.99. That is quite a savings. 

Won’t be using the devices at the same time, but won’t need to log on/off if I want to change devices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, POA1 said:

I pre purchased the premium plan for one device. My one device is a router with my PC's MAC address cloned onto it. We'll use two phones, two tablets a Kindle and a PC. The set up is a bit technical, but it works well.

Hi, Just wondering if you did this on a recent cruise and how it worked? 

On 10/11/2023 at 5:57 PM, Torquer said:

I just have to ask...how is each of you going to be using two devices at the same time? 

There are sites that want or need to send you a code on a phone, to log on. If you log out of the computer it re-sets the log on, so the code is invalid. etc.

7 hours ago, unicornkoala said:

Hi, Just wondering if you did this on a recent cruise and how it worked? 

MID-December 2023.

It worked fine. Sites that required 2FA (two factor authentication) presented no problem. They usually set a cookie after authentication. As long as you don't clear it, you're fine. I would "sleep" my PC instead of shutting down.

Because I like a complicated life, we had 2FA using the Google authenticator, Microsoft's app, text, and email.

• Like 1

My work sites require 2FA but I found the OKTA app on my phone produced a code that was visible in the push notification so I was able to still use only 1 device w/o  disconnecting & switching between devices. I was not able to do that for codes that were emailed (multi device was better in that scenario).

On 1/15/2024 at 6:44 AM, POA1 said:

MID-December 2023.

It worked fine. Sites that required 2FA (two factor authentication) presented no problem. They usually set a cookie after authentication. As long as you don't clear it, you're fine. I would "sleep" my PC instead of shutting down.

Because I like a complicated life, we had 2FA using the Google authenticator, Microsoft's app, text, and email.

THank you!