Britannia - Refurb? And Cocktails? 😃

Cruise enquirer

I’m due to sail to the Baltics on Britannia in May after the refurb.

We were on Britannia in May 2019 on a week long trip to Norway.

In truth, we have had a number of cruises since then (including Iona and Arvia), and I now can’t remember too much about the ship.

I hope they don’t touch Brodie’s though as I liked that on Britannia, but not on the bigger two.

It’s been said people can go on the same cruise, but have a totally different experience through a number of reasons, with too high expectations sometimes.

6 hours ago, GSPG said:

I’m due to sail to the Baltics on Britannia in May after the refurb.

We were on Britannia in May 2019 on a week long trip to Norway.

In truth, we have had a number of cruises since then (including Iona and Arvia), and I now can’t remember too much about the ship.

I hope they don’t touch Brodie’s though as I liked that on Britannia, but not on the bigger two.

It’s been said people can go on the same cruise, but have a totally different experience through a number of reasons, with too high expectations sometimes.

Ooh, I hope you are not too disappointed with Brodies, it was horrible in July on Britannia. 

Well, it was not the venue, but the clientele and what they were able to get away with. We only popped in a couple of times, didn't stay long... 

Andy 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ooh, I hope you are not too disappointed with Brodies, it was horrible in July on Britannia. 

Well, it was not the venue, but the clientele and what they were able to get away with. We only popped in a couple of times, didn't stay long... 

Andy 

What was your cruise Andy? a Fjords or Mediterranean?

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ours was Fjords. 

Andy 

Oh okay, that surprised me as thought you would say the Med.

I hope my Baltic crowd are a bit more refined!

If there are some ‘characters’ though that go down well that’s fine with me.

2 hours ago, GSPG said:

Oh okay, that surprised me as thought you would say the Med.

I hope my Baltic crowd are a bit more refined!

If there are some ‘characters’ though that go down well that’s fine with me.

Unfortunately, although it was not school holidays in England, it was in other parts of the UK and Brodies became a giant playground whilst the parents made the most of the drinks package... 

Kids sitting on the bar playing Bingo past 10 at night while others played football amongst the tables. It was carnage, and nobody tried to stop them. 

Fortunately, there are plenty of other nice places to get a drink. 

Andy 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Unfortunately, although it was not school holidays in England, it was in other parts of the UK and Brodies became a giant playground whilst the parents made the most of the drinks package... 

Kids sitting on the bar playing Bingo past 10 at night while others played football amongst the tables. It was carnage, and nobody tried to stop them. 

Fortunately, there are plenty of other nice places to get a drink. 

Andy 

As you brought this up, I was on Arvia for two weeks to the Med on 9th July, and that ‘caught me out’ that other parts of the UK were on school holidays.

There were also a lot of 15,16,17 year olds who had taken exams, and had broken up early.

There wasn’t much for this age group to do and they quickly formed friendships, and by the end of week 1 there were gangs of 20 roaming the ship.

During the evening they took over the area by Sindhu, then later on and in the early hours were in the canteen.

There was food on the floor and glasses in every lift, kids running around nearly falling over mobility scooters etc, and no security in sight.

At half one in the morning they were still piling down corridors, going god knows where.

To add, there were a number of families where the parents in their 30s or early 40s smashed out of their heads.

There were set two’s between families and crew, what a cocktail of guests, and no one wonder there were flash points.

I believe the following cruises were less ‘eventful’ however which was good to hear.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GSPG said:

As you brought this up, I was on Arvia for two weeks to the Med on 9th July, and that ‘caught me out’ that other parts of the UK were on school holidays.

There were also a lot of 15,16,17 year olds who had taken exams, and had broken up early.

There wasn’t much for this age group to do and they quickly formed friendships, and by the end of week 1 there were gangs of 20 roaming the ship.

During the evening they took over the area by Sindhu, then later on and in the early hours were in the canteen.

There was food on the floor and glasses in every lift, kids running around nearly falling over mobility scooters etc, and no security in sight.

At half one in the morning they were still piling down corridors, going god knows where.

To add, there were a number of families where the parents in their 30s or early 40s smashed out of their heads.

There were set two’s between families and crew, what a cocktail of guests, and no one wonder there were flash points.

I believe the following cruises were less ‘eventful’ however which was good to hear.

There seems to be a different attitude since  lock down, perhaps a different clientele as cruising becomes more affordable. 

We used to enjoy seeing children on the ships with most of them being well behaved. Now it seems many are left to their own devices. 

Andy 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

There seems to be a different attitude since  lock down, perhaps a different clientele as cruising becomes more affordable. 

We used to enjoy seeing children on the ships with most of them being well behaved. Now it seems many are left to their own devices. 

Andy 

When our kids were teenagers we went on a Xmas and new Years cruise on Azura to the Caribbean for 2 weeks

This would be a couple of years before covid

Prior to that we had only cruised RCL and Carnival

The mostly British kids on P and O cruises spent far more time hanging out together on P and O ships outside of the kids club than they did on the cruises with more US kids

The older teenagers on UK ships also noticeably liked to hang around bar areas far more than the US kids. Some would attempt to get alcohol if they could. 

On the US cruises the older teenagers were just happy to hangout in their designated areas in the older teen kids clubs

I put it down to US kids not being allowed to drink until 21 and not even having drinking alcohol as a teenager on their radar

We were far more comfortable with our kids on the cruises when they were with the US kids than the British kids being honest

Noticeably different vibe for what the teenagers wanted to do at night on the ships

And that cruise being Xmas and new year Caribbean back then wasn't a cheap bargain cruise either

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Let me manage expectations, this is the legally required dry docking of the ship. Its required every 5 years so is scheduled at 4.5 year intervals.

The primary purpose is to fully stop the ship, do a hull check, a repaint, an 'mot' on the ships non-stop working parts. It allows maintenance on equipment such as propellers / thrusters/ stabilisers as appropriate.

Obviously, with a ship out of the water, the opportunity is taken to do a refurb - in most cases this is painting, carpets, new furniture, other repairs. For example, if you had a wooden dance floor, this might have a full refurbishment. It's also an opportunity to do work in the galley areas without disrupting dinner service, and the pools without forcing one out of action. The lifeboats are also offloaded and serviced.

As I've said before a lot of the physical ship is designed to last 30 years without major maintenance.

Re: Andersons: it really is the one thing missing.

Re Disembarkation: The biggest restriction is the number of people you can push through the terminal. Although the ships have got significantly bigger than Cunard's, the luggage hall capacity has not. That is largely why disembarkation feels so bad on Ventura and bigger ships. In this respect, MSC are lucky in Southampton in that they have a new larger terminal.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Re Disembarkation: The biggest restriction is the number of people you can push through the terminal. Although the ships have got significantly bigger than Cunard's, the luggage hall capacity has not.

Have you compared P&O's disembarkation process with that of Princess (same size ships)?

Princess arrange baggage by disembarkation group (as did P&O once upon a time) whereas P&O arrange baggage by deck so you have passengers going all over the baggage hall to find their baggage which is a nightmare with trolleys everywhere and passengers all over the place.

16 minutes ago, david63 said:

Have you compared P&O's disembarkation process with that of Princess (same size ships)?

Princess arrange baggage by disembarkation group (as did P&O once upon a time) whereas P&O arrange baggage by deck so you have passengers going all over the baggage hall to find their baggage which is a nightmare with trolleys everywhere and passengers all over the place.

Have to say since covid having done 4 Iona cruises and 1 Arvia we have had nothing but easy disembarkations with P&O. That said getting a lift down probably takes 20 minutes but after that plain sailing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

I've never actually been on a Princess cruise where they have done that.

As yet Princess don't have any ships the size of Iona & Arvia. We'll see if it works when Sun Princess arrives. Its also worth considering that on a lot of Princess cruises, you don't have whole ship turnarounds (especially outside of the UK).

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Have you compared P&O's disembarkation process with that of Princess (same size ships)?

Princess arrange baggage by disembarkation group (as did P&O once upon a time) whereas P&O arrange baggage by deck so you have passengers going all over the baggage hall to find their baggage which is a nightmare with trolleys everywhere and passengers all over the place.

I’ve been on P&O and Princess many times and always remember them having cases by deck order. Last Princess cruise was June 2022, 4 P& O cruises and 2 RCL cruises (also cases by deck order) since covid. Only issue on all cruise lines is getting a lift to disembarkation floor, typically takes 20 minutes even if you employ the lift up to go down rouse.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Totally agree, disembsrkation from Sky Princess, same size as Britannia, was a ten times better experience than on Britannia, especially if you arrive in the luggage hall towards the end of your allotted time, when most of the luggage has been collected.

Edited by terrierjohn

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

As yet Princess don't have any ships the size of Iona & Arvia

No but they have Sky Princess which is the same as Britannia and disembarkation from both of those ships is like chalk and cheese.

As I said before at one time P&O organised baggage by disembarkation group which is what Princess do and if your group has not been called you cannot get off. With P&O everyone just merges into the disembarkation queue totally ignoring the "groups" and then it is mayhem in the baggage hall.

12 hours ago, david63 said:

No but they have Sky Princess which is the same as Britannia and disembarkation from both of those ships is like chalk and cheese.

As I said before at one time P&O organised baggage by disembarkation group which is what Princess do and if your group has not been called you cannot get off. With P&O everyone just merges into the disembarkation queue totally ignoring the "groups" and then it is mayhem in the baggage hall.

Having disembarked Iona at Southampton I can't describe it as mayhem? Just slow but steady would be my description?

There are locations to find your cases and  just a slowish queue to walk out once you pick up the cases?

All pretty calm and organised albeit busy?

I've seen far more chaotic scenes in airports and also waited far far longer in airports to collect cases and get through customs (no comparison to that)

30 to 40 minutes at most from leaving the ship, collecting cases and walking out of Southampton terminal?

What is the mayhem we have missed?  Yes it's slow but not disastrous for sure

Admittedly we don't use the lifts so I accept we've missed having to queue for them before we disembark?

The comment above claiming "everybody ignores the group's" that's a first to me?

Why would they - we know our disembarkation time and get there as late as we can to enjoy our last breakfast and time on the ship. It's normally reasonably early anyway isn't it for everyone?

if we want to disembark earlier was can also do so taking our own bags officially?

I take issue with being put into the "everybody" category and I've seen enough people alongside me meeting at the right places at the right time to know that the majority just do what they are asked

Tbh I never even thought you could just do your own thing and merge in with others. And like I say wouldn't have a reason to want to do that regardless

is this what the more experienced cruisers choose to do?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Having disembarked Iona at Southampton I can't describe it as mayhem? Just slow but steady would be my description?

There are locations to find your cases and  just a slowish queue to walk out once you pick up the cases?

I've seen far more chaotic scenes in airports and also waited far far longer in airports to collect cases and get through customs (no comparison to that)

30 to 40 minutes at most from leaving the ship, collecting cases and walking out of Southampton terminal?

Admittedly we don't use the lifts so I accept we've missed having to queue for them before we disembark?

The comment above claiming "everybody ignores the group's" that's a first to me?

Why would they - we know our disembarkation time and get there as late as we can to enjoy our last breakfast and time on the ship. It's normally reasonably early anyway isn't it for everyone?

if we want to disembark earlier was can also do so taking our own bags officially?

I take issue with being put into the "everybody" category and I've seen enough people alongside me meeting at the right places at the right time to know that the majority just do what they are asked

Tbh I never even thought you could just do your own thing and merge in with others. And like I say wouldn't have a reason to want to do that regardless

I’d agree with that.  Disembarkation from Britannia 10 days ago pretty much followed the “group” system and was very smooth I thought. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Yes, we have never found it too chaotic, just slow. 

There is a certain amount of frustration when you are waiting your turn and people just 'do what they like', it definitely does happen. 

We are never in a hurry, but we don't have far to go. 

Andy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I’d agree with that.  Disembarkation from Britannia 10 days ago pretty much followed the “group” system and was very smooth I thought. 

When we get to our car, we have an hour drive home. We leave the cabin as late as we can, nice leisurely breakfast, go down to the baggage shed. Many cases are gone by then, so fairly easy to retrieve. Normally not navy people queuing to get their car keys. Why all this rush ?.

• Like 3

Never had a problem getting off apart from when the air bridge broke and there was a 90 minute delay. Then, it was an absolute free for all……

I have generally found people get off when meant to, altho I am yet to experience Iona disembarkation……😄

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Mayhem I associate with Gatwick or Heathrow Airport customs on a busy arrivals day

(In fact thinking about it - that's not even mayhem but just very long queues)

Definitely prefer to disembark a P and O ship at Southampton to a busy arrivals day at an airport

Always seems to be Long queues at immigration at both Gatwick and Heathrow. I don't mind that as it helps keep the riff-raff out.🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Princess, RCI and Celebrity all use a timed disembarkation system, your luggage label  colour coded, and announcements are made when a new colour is free to disembark. This saves you having to go to a specific venue, and since the luggage is located in  timed locations, the luggage hall is emptied in sequence, rather than passengers searching all over the hall.

Agree with disembarkation using correct time and area .We saw various groups using wrong venue, sneeking off early then their allotted time nobody checked their letters so got away with it.As baltic we asked for early disembarkation 8.00 to 8.15 checked with reception twice confirmed when letter came was 9.00 to 9.15 so another visit to reception was required .We spoke to a man at breakfast was staying on back to back and was given a disembarkation letter for 8.30 says it all