Actual Experiences w/ Acropolis Timed Entry?

Hydro ergo

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to check and see if anyone has had actual experience yet with the timed entry at the Acropolis.  The website says to arrive 30min prior to your slot.  As such, we booked the 9-10am slot (which says it allows entry as early as 845).  We have a port pickup scheduled for 740.  If I understand correctly, it should be about a half hour drive from port to the Acropolis?  That puts us there around 810.  I probably should have scheduled the earlier slot, but was worried if there were any hiccups that morning that we would miss out spot.  Anyway, what I'm wondering is, if we get there around 810/820 and get in line and the line moves at a reasonable pace, will they let us in at say 830 or... will we have to go to the side and wait until 845... or will we have to get back in line??  Mostly trying to avoid needing to get back in line and start over and/or be THAT GUY that doesn't know what they are doing and holds up the process for everyone else.

thank you all!

• 3 weeks later...

We were just at the Acropolis a couple of weeks ago. We also had a 9-10 am time slot. We got there about 8:15 and did have to wait until 8:45 to enter. However, when we arrived, there was NO line. We watched some groups come and go and gradually more groups were in the line. We waited until about 8:40 and got in line as we knew it was going to take us about 5 minutes in the line. I think you'll be able to watch the line and determine when the best time is to get in line. Even if we had waited until 8:45 to get in line, it moved pretty quickly and doubt it would have been more than 10-15 minutes.

YMMV

We were at the Acropolis last week, also with timed tickets for an entrance between 9 and 10 a.m.  We arrived at 8:30 am and were told to wait at the side until 8:45 am.  There was only one other couple in front of us with the same time slot.

At 8:45 am all four of us got our tickets scanned and marched straight in.

FYI, I printed our tickets at home prior to our trip last week for timed entry just to be on the safe side. I somehow printed two copies of one of the tickets…I breezed through, hubby did not. I then had to scramble to find the email on my phone (which thankfully I had not left at the hotel!). I asked to rather unhappy ticket taker how to tell which was which and his answer was no way to tell so keep the email and use caution when printing!

We did the exact same schedule as OP and needed to wait off to the side till exactly 8:45.  Then my DH was told his backpack needed to be checked, even though the two ticket takers had seen us and his backpack at 8:15 and didn't say a word about it.  When my DH asked why they didn't tell him to check it then, they said didn't notice it.  We were 2 of 4 people at that time.  My DH ran back and checked it at the cloakroom (free) and ran back.  Huge tour groups were starting to come in and he was able to enter.

By the way, the ticket takers are arbitrary on what size of backpack they will allow through, so I would suggest checking anything backpack-like.

Thanks everyone! We were just there a few days ago and yep, had to wait about 15mins off to the side. No big deal. We had read about the backpack policy and only brought a small bag for sunglasses and an umbrella. That wasn't a problem. However, we did see several people goin with large backpacks...like the ones students use, not hiking style, but larger than I would have thought was permissible. So yes, that does seem a bit arbitrary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We will be staying in Athens in April. Last time we were there, 9 years ago, there was no need for tickets. After reading how crazy the crowds are now, it’s probably a good concept to have that in play.
Question to those with early entry -  did you find the crowds, and if you had leeway by going in early pre-cruise, how would you time your entrance?

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We will be staying in Athens in April. Last time we were there, 9 years ago, there was no need for tickets. After reading how crazy the crowds are now, it’s probably a good concept to have that in play.
Question to those with early entry -  did you find the crowds, and if you had leeway by going in early pre-cruise, how would you time your entrance?

If you are staying in Athens,  get the earliest time slot. Get there 30 minutes early. You will be on top with hardly any people at all. You might even see the honor guard raising the flag over the Acropolis.  The guard goes up just a few minutes before the tourists are admitted. 

This is what it looks like if you go up with the first group. 

20210827_082036.jpg

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Perfect. We are staying two nights as we’ve spent time previously in Athens. I did want to go back to a couple places, so thank you marazul!

If you have a backpack, check it at the coat check building (down near the other little buildings, like tickets).  It's free to check your bag and if the ticket takers are still being arbitrary, you may be sent to go check your back pack while another is let through the gate with the same size backpack.  Have a great time!!

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you ninjacat123. We are looking forward to having time in Athens again. I appreciate this tip. 
We likely will stay at the same hotel as last time as it was a gem. Did you purchase tickets online before leaving, or at your hotel? 

Hotels do not sell Acropolis tickets.  You have to buy them online or at the ticket offices by the entrances of the Acropolis.  April will not be as crowded as mid-summer.  If you want to, you can buy the tickets the evening before at the ticket booths.  However, if you want to make sure you get the early slot, buy them online before leaving.

• Like 1

Thank you marazul. I will purchase prior to leaving. Part of my goal in April travel is fewer crowds. With all the ships repositioning from the Middle East, I believe it will put pressure on this region and may negate some of that lower crowds expectation. I hope I am wrong about that. 

Edited by Vineyard View

On 11/13/2023 at 10:02 AM, Vineyard View said:

Thank you ninjacat123. We are looking forward to having time in Athens again. I appreciate this tip. 
We likely will stay at the same hotel as last time as it was a gem. Did you purchase tickets online before leaving, or at your hotel? 

I bought them online. Hope you have a wonderful time in Athens!

• Like 1