The Word "CLUB" is finally gone

tgg

At some point in Azamara's history, a less-than-brilliant marketing person added the word CLUB to the description of each stateroom. Most comments on this board suggested that it added nothing. Everyone knew that there was no club.

An announcement several years later said that CLUB would be dropped. It never happened. 

Today, as I looked at the Onward deck plan, I noticed that CLUB had been removed from all descriptions. No more Club Ocean Suite; just Ocean Suite.

Now if they could just get the web site to work . . .😉

• Like 1

A few years ago Cruise Critic had a Q&A with Larry Pimentel and I asked him why he had decided to change the name of the cruise line to Azamara Club Cruises, and specifically what the word 'Club' was meant to imply about the experience for passengers.  While I had great admiration of Larry as the Azamara CEO, his answer to my question was non-responsive.  So I concluded that no one knows (or ever knew) what it was supposed to mean.

But, as with many website changes, they haven't done a thorough search and replace operation.  Go the the https://www.azamara.com/our-ships/suites-and-staterooms page.  The name of each suite has been changed to eliminate "club" – but click on the 'view Features' button, and there is the old name!  [Plus, the Department of Redundant Redundancy has added "stateroom" after "suite" !!!]

Screenshot2023-10-13at10_05_00PM.thumb.png.22154bd48b4d4cebf2a2cf2293109ea2.png

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The name of each suite has been changed to eliminate "club" 

And, of course, according to many dictionary definitions, most of the 'suites' on Azamara's ships are not suites at all - they are merely larger staterooms.

But, I think Azamara are not alone in this. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, blag said:

And, of course, according to many dictionary definitions, most of the 'suites' on Azamara's ships are not suites at all - they are merely larger staterooms.

But, I think Azamara are not alone in this

Neither among cruise lines nor hotel chains.  

At least some (including Azamara) use the term to distinguish between their lower-price 'cabins' and higher-price 'suites.'  Some cruise lines call every accommodation a 'suite,' which IMHO is more misleading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A few years ago Cruise Critic had a Q&A with Larry Pimentel and I asked him why he had decided to change the name of the cruise line to Azamara Club Cruises, and specifically what the word 'Club' was meant to imply about the experience for passengers.  While I had great admiration of Larry as the Azamara CEO, his answer to my question was non-responsive.  So I concluded that no one knows (or ever knew) what it was supposed to mean.

But, as with many website changes, they haven't done a thorough search and replace operation.  Go the the https://www.azamara.com/our-ships/suites-and-staterooms page.  The name of each suite has been changed to eliminate "club" – but click on the 'view Features' button, and there is the old name!  [Plus, the Department of Redundant Redundancy has added "stateroom" after "suite" !!!]

Screenshot2023-10-13at10_05_00PM.thumb.png.22154bd48b4d4cebf2a2cf2293109ea2.png

I never liked the “Club” designation ,on the website either.  It’s interesting they removed it from the Header, but then, as you noted, it’s still in the body of the description! 
It is interesting that Larry P never answered your question on it, either! 

Edited by takemewithyou

23 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

It is interesting that Larry P never answered your question on it, either!

To be fair to Larry, he answered but with a corporate-speak non-answer.  Which is true of many of these Q&As...

Coincidentally, I was organizing a closet and found two Azamara baseball-style caps. The earliest brandishes the title “Azamara Club Cruises”, the latter, bought five or six years ago, omits the “Club”. 
Perhaps the former will accrue some value as a limited edition.  😀

I always thought the “Club” appellation served two purposes. One was to distinguish Azamara from its ill fated relationship with mass- market Celebrity. The other was to reflect the indoor design  of the ships which, no doubt incorrectly, I thought to represent the atmosphere of an Edwardian men’s club.

Those with a better background in interior design will probably find this risible,

• Like 1