Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!

Host Anne

On 4/1/2024 at 2:28 PM, Homeport5 said:

Oh thank you!   The neighborhood names are confusing...as with any city!  We are near the Marriott London Kensington.

We were going to take the train but after reading these reviews today we may have to look at a other options. We can't afford to be delayed. Has anyone else had an issue with SWR? Lookup trip advisor for reviews of South Western Railway, they are not good!

19 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

Is making a 10:00 reservation on the National Express bus realistic in terms of finding your luggage and getting a cab to the bus station? We are docking at 6:00 May 12th on NCL. There are 4/5 ships docking that morning and concerned about getting a taxi. Guess it is too short a distance to pre-book a cab.

Absolutely fine. It’s only a 5 minute cab ride or a 10-15 minute walk, assuming NCL use their normal Horizon terminal.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

We were going to take the train but after reading these reviews today we may have to look at a other options. We can't afford to be delayed. Has anyone else had an issue with SWR? Lookup trip advisor for reviews of South Western Railway, they are not good!

No-one ever goes on Tripadvisor to praise a commuter train company! Like all operators the world over, SWR have their bad days but on the whole they’re pretty reliable and carry more than 200,000 passengers a day, largely without incident.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 3

I am Flying into Heathrow (Terminal 2) arriving at 11:50 AM and want to take National Express to Victoria Coach Station. How much time should I allow for arrival process before getting to the bus?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Hornet441 said:

I am Flying into Heathrow (Terminal 2) arriving at 11:50 AM and want to take National Express to Victoria Coach Station. How much time should I allow for arrival process before getting to the bus?

The big unknowns are immigration and baggage reclaim. If your passport allows you to use the automatic e-gates at immigration, it’s normally very quick. Most US & Canadian citizens with a biometric passport can use the e-gates but if you do need to see an officer the lines can be very long.

All being well you’ll be landside within an hour of landing, then it’s a 10 minute walk to the coach station. So I’d probably aim for a bus leaving between 1:00 and 1:30 if there is one.

For an extra £5, National Express will sell you an upgrade allowing you to move to a later bus if you miss the one you booked or an earlier one if you’re there in time.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Thanks 1

Gumshoe958, many thanks about the National Express information. Since you seem to be the resident London expert, we are staying at 201 - 211 Long Lane London SE1 4PN. Was wondering if there is anything special around there in terms of restaurants or things to do? Also if you were to recommend a couple of things that most tourists miss-what would you suggest?

2 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

SE1 4PN. Was wondering if there is anything special around there in terms of restaurants

A slightly out-of-centre locations.  Bermondsey Street is just round the corner.  Lots of restaurants there.  Plus the White Cube gallery, if you fancy dipping into contemporary art.  Tower Bridge about 10/15 minute walk. Otherwise, walk 500 yards to London bridge and from there you have transport options to anywhere in central London

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

A slightly out-of-centre locations.  Bermondsey Street is just round the corner.  Lots of restaurants there.  Plus the White Cube gallery, if you fancy dipping into contemporary art.  Tower Bridge about 10/15 minute walk. Otherwise, walk 500 yards to London bridge and from there you have transport options to anywhere in central London

Also an easy walk to Shakespeare’s Globe, the Tate Modern, HMS Belfast, St Paul’s Cathedral across the river and The Shard for overpriced views.

You’re also close to Borough Market for amazing street food.

A bit less touristy - and far cheaper - than The Shard but also offering amazing views, walk across London Bridge to climb the Monument to the Great Fire of London - now dwarfed by the skyscrapers surrounding it. 

https://www.themonument.org.uk

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

No-one ever goes on Tripadvisor to praise a commuter train company! Like all operators the world over, SWR have their bad days but on the whole they’re pretty reliable and carry more than 200,000 passengers a day, largely without incident.

There were positive reviews there too but seemed most recent ones were not positive. We are leaving London in the morning, our ship departs from Southampton 4pm that afternoon. Nervous about mishaps, we took the train last year from Gatwick to Victoria Station, it was easy and without mishap, however getting on the next train was stressful as we missed the first one due to trying to find the right platform on the correct side and some misinformation. Love when it is direct with no changes which is what I believe Waterloo would be. Thanks for all your insights! 

1 minute ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

There were positive reviews there too but seemed most recent ones were not positive.

I think it's the entire concept of reading any reviews about SWR that seems slightly bizarre. Railways are simply the principal form of transport for this kind of journey. You would no more read reviews of SWR to decide whether to take it than you would read a review of the New York subway to decide whether to take that to go downtown as opposed to taking a bus. It's not like you're choosing between two different cruise lines. And I'd be much more nervous about something going wrong with a car.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:
10 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

SE1 4PN. Was wondering if there is anything special around there in terms of restaurants

A slightly out-of-centre locations.  Bermondsey Street is just round the corner.  Lots of restaurants there.

Very true, but perhaps slightly underselling this aspect of the area! It's a bit of a foodie hub now. I think that there are now two Michelin-starred restaurants in the area, one with two stars, although both are just off Bermondsey Street. Jose Pizarro has two venues, and the Garrison is a long-standing gastropub that's highly regarded. And there are other options right down to chain pizza (Franco Manca), if you must.

If you're heading up towards (or beyond) Tower Bridge, there are a few bus routes that run along Tower Bridge Road if you don't feel like walking. I think that Borough Tube may be slightly closer than London Bridge Tube if you don't specifically need the latter and you're heading further afield. Don't forget that Bank/Monument is in reality one single station, including a fairly easy interchange between the Northern Line and the District/Circle Lines (and it's now much easier to do all interchanges there, because the Bank station upgrade has basically been completed).

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

I think it's the entire concept of reading any reviews about SWR that seems slightly bizarre. Railways are simply the principal form of transport for this kind of journey. You would no more read reviews of SWR to decide whether to take it than you would read a review of the New York subway to decide whether to take that to go downtown as opposed to taking a bus. It's not like you're choosing between two different cruise lines. And I'd be much more nervous about something going wrong with a car.

This. SWR isn’t Amtrak - it’s basically a commuter rail operation like Metro North or LIRR. There’s a direct train from London Waterloo to Southampton every 30 minutes and you can be assured many others will be using it to get to the cruise terminal as well.

We were going to take the National Express from LHR to Southampton the day before the cruise. However, after reading the luggage size allowances, it does not look like it is possible. We usually take a larger bag and then 2 "Carry-Ons". But the Carry-Ons are a bit larger than the stated maximum measurements.

So, it looks like a cab??? Ugh... quite a bit more in fees.

Comments on your experience? TIA

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Of course I am going to read reviews on how to get somewhere in a country I am not familiar with, nothing bizarre about that. I don't live in a big city that uses rail so not a common concept for us. I am trying to decipher the way to travel from one place to another including cost, taking all factors into consideration. I appreciate all posts that are helpful in explaining their opinions regarding the transportation options.

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

This. SWR isn’t Amtrak - it’s basically a commuter rail operation like Metro North or LIRR. There’s a direct train from London Waterloo to Southampton every 30 minutes and you can be assured many others will be using it to get to the cruise terminal as well.

Thank you for clarifying and the assurance regarding the direct train, that was helpful and appreciated.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:17 PM, nini said:

We were going to take the National Express from LHR to Southampton the day before the cruise. However, after reading the luggage size allowances, it does not look like it is possible. We usually take a larger bag and then 2 "Carry-Ons". But the Carry-Ons are a bit larger than the stated maximum measurements.

So, it looks like a cab??? Ugh... quite a bit more in fees.

Comments on your experience? TIA

In reading the website it looked like you could purchase an additional bag allowance for 10 pounds if necessary.

18 hours ago, Homeport5 said:

In reading the website it looked like you could purchase an additional bag allowance for 10 pounds if necessary.

Yes, that option is helpful.

We are experienced American cruisers, but have never cruised into or out of Southampton.  I will supply details below, to the extent helpful in responding, but our questions are:

(1) what time should be able to walk off the ship with luggage; and

(2) what time should be book a private car transfer pick-up to head to St. Pancras station to catch the Eurostar to Paris.

We are 4 travelers, all Americans, disembarking Oceania Marina in Southampton on Sunday, September 22, 2024.  Our booking shows arrival at Southampton at 6:00 am, and on the Oceania website, if you were booking another cabin, it says "Disembark 8 am."  There are 3 other ships in port that day, including one doing an overnight and departing the next day (Queen Anne, Seven Seas Splendor and Sun Princess, the one departing the next day).  We are booking a private car transfer to St. Pancras station and then taking the Eurostar to Paris, where we will continue our adventure for a few more days.

Our plan is to disembark, carrying our own luggage, as early as possible, 8 am if that is the first opportunity, or earlier if the ship has been cleared.  Never having been to Southampton, we don't know what to expect by way of customs.  We are inclined to schedule a car transfer pickup at 8:30 am, but I don't know if that is realistic.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tom & Judy

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TFree said:

We are experienced American cruisers, but have never cruised into or out of Southampton.  I will supply details below, to the extent helpful in responding, but our questions are:

(1) what time should be able to walk off the ship with luggage; and

(2) what time should be book a private car transfer pick-up to head to St. Pancras station to catch the Eurostar to Paris.

We are 4 travelers, all Americans, disembarking Oceania Marina in Southampton on Sunday, September 22, 2024.  Our booking shows arrival at Southampton at 6:00 am, and on the Oceania website, if you were booking another cabin, it says "Disembark 8 am."  There are 3 other ships in port that day, including one doing an overnight and departing the next day (Queen Anne, Seven Seas Splendor and Sun Princess, the one departing the next day).  We are booking a private car transfer to St. Pancras station and then taking the Eurostar to Paris, where we will continue our adventure for a few more days.

Our plan is to disembark, carrying our own luggage, as early as possible, 8 am if that is the first opportunity, or earlier if the ship has been cleared.  Never having been to Southampton, we don't know what to expect by way of customs.  We are inclined to schedule a car transfer pickup at 8:30 am, but I don't know if that is realistic.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tom & Judy

To assist one will give a realistic indication as to time lines.

Usually, without any dockside problems, or a medical emergency, self disembarkation is approximately 1.5 hours after fully docking, UK Customs ship inspections/procedures and luggage offloaded.

Collection of suitcases from terminal and the queue to go through to Customs, is about 30 minutes.

Allow 3 hours for journey without any comfort break, because of morning Southampton and usual London traffic.

No allowance is made for late docking, extra heavy traffic or motorway and/or road accidents, which will cause delays or detours.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

On 4/4/2024 at 1:59 PM, gumshoe958 said:

Absolutely fine. It’s only a 5 minute cab ride or a 10-15 minute walk, assuming NCL use their normal Horizon terminal.

How is the walk (sidewalks, etc.) from the Ocean Cruise Terminal to National express Station?  We plan on taking a cab, but if cabs unavailable, it would be our backup plan.

Rob 

4 minutes ago, k9Rulez said:

How is the walk (sidewalks, etc.) from the Ocean Cruise Terminal to National express Station?  We plan on taking a cab, but if cabs unavailable, it would be our backup plan.

Rob 

It’s about 1.3 miles so 25-30 minutes. There are sidewalks all the way but plenty of roads to cross and if you’re dragging heavy luggage it’s probably not recommended. But if you’re keen walkers, YMMV. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

It’s about 1.3 miles so 25-30 minutes. There are sidewalks all the way but plenty of roads to cross and if you’re dragging heavy luggage it’s probably not recommended. But if you’re keen walkers, YMMV. 

Thank you for the quick response. Definitely sounds doable as a backup plan.  

Rob

About 1 1/4 miles, 25 minutes as Gumshoe's post.

But only one major road to cross, and you have the choice of a number of sets of traffic lights to help you to cross it.

All on level ground, sidewalks all the way.

No worries for most folk - unless it's a wet day

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Lps2AocMFzqmoxgK9

JB 🙂