Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!

Host Anne

Hello all!  I'm excited to be bringing my daughter and 5 year old granddaughter on a cruise out of Southampton.  I'm a bit late to the game as we are cruising on May 12th.  I understand that's a busy cruise day for cruising our of Southampton.  We are flying Delta directly from Minneapolis to Heathrow arriving May 10th at 7:15am.  Our return flight is on May 21st at 9:20am. I'm trying to work out where we are staying and how we are transferring in the next few days.

I'm thinking about booking a hotel near Bond Street to have a direct rail route from LHR.  We'll do some touring and then hop on the rail at Waterloo station the morning of the 12th to go to Southampton.  Upon return on the 19th, I was thinking of doing the rail again back to Waterloo station for another hotel stay and touring.

Opinions on this strategy?  Advice for other transfer options?  The only solid plans we have are to see Frozen at Theatre Royal Drury Lane at 5:30pm on the day we get off the ship (May 19th).

Thanks for any advice you have for us!

5 hours ago, PK34 said:

Hello all!  I'm excited to be bringing my daughter and 5 year old granddaughter on a cruise out of Southampton.  I'm a bit late to the game as we are cruising on May 12th.  I understand that's a busy cruise day for cruising our of Southampton.  We are flying Delta directly from Minneapolis to Heathrow arriving May 10th at 7:15am.  Our return flight is on May 21st at 9:20am. I'm trying to work out where we are staying and how we are transferring in the next few days.

I'm thinking about booking a hotel near Bond Street to have a direct rail route from LHR.  We'll do some touring and then hop on the rail at Waterloo station the morning of the 12th to go to Southampton.  Upon return on the 19th, I was thinking of doing the rail again back to Waterloo station for another hotel stay and touring.

Opinions on this strategy?  Advice for other transfer options?  The only solid plans we have are to see Frozen at Theatre Royal Drury Lane at 5:30pm on the day we get off the ship (May 19th).

A hotel near Bond Street would work, as would Tottenham Court Road. Both stations are on the Elizabeth line with frequent direct trains to/from LHR, and both are also on a tube line with direct trains to/from Waterloo so take your pick.

Tottenham Court Road also benefits from being within easy walking distance of the Theatre Royal.

If you know which trains from Waterloo to  Southampton and back you want, you’ll save quite a bit of money by booking in advance (but note with an advance ticket you can only travel on the exact trains you book).

7 hours ago, PK34 said:

As per my last post, walk-up tickets cost £45.20 (WAT to SOU) and £43.10 (SOU to WAT)

But there's a significant saving to be made by buying cheap Advance tickets.

Advance prices are dynamic, starting at £14.00 - you're too late for that price, but they're still showing at £21.70, something less than half the price of walk-up tickets. Don't delay, the Advance fares will continue to increase.

As per the post above from @gumshoe958 those Advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book, but unless you're too optimistic about when you can get to SOU on disembarkation day that shouldn't be a problem for you (I suggest you book that 19th May journey for no earlier than the 09.35 train).

Sundays are the preferred days for planned track maintenance work, but there are no planned works which affect either of your dates.

Book via the National website  https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  or direct with the operator   https://www.southwesternrailway.com/

JB 🙂

On 11/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, PH2 said:

Definitely following this thread. We booked flights during the summer for May 18-28, 2024 to and from Heathrow and have already booked 4 nights in London. We were either going to travel to Paris and spend 4 nights in Paris and then return for our flight home or take the Celebrity Apex 4-night cruise to Amsterdam and Bruges, and we chose the latter. So now I need to figure out transportation for 2 to/from Southampton.

We don't leave until the day following our cruise, so if we have a full day for sightseeing tours on the way back from Southampton, can someone suggest the best options? Also, is there any car/bus service and tour company that is considered the best?

Following this from SE Georgia, USA.  We are not new to cruising or France, but new to London and Southampton.  We are going to Paris for 4 nights after the cruise.  At the moment, looking for transportation from LHR to Southampton, then gotta find our way to Paris - most likely the train.  FUN!  We sail July 6.

8 minutes ago, bcahill134 said:

Following this from SE Georgia, USA.  We are not new to cruising or France, but new to London and Southampton.  We are going to Paris for 4 nights after the cruise.  At the moment, looking for transportation from LHR to Southampton, then gotta find our way to Paris - most likely the train.  FUN!  We sail July 6.

May one suggest flying from Southampton Airport to Paris.  Could save a lot of hastle.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

Book via the National website  https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  or direct with the operator   https://www.southwesternrailway.com/

JB 🙂

Sir,

I'm looking at SOU-GTW on Wednesday 28 August 2024.  I have also checked earlier Wednesdays incase I'm looking too far out.  In either event I cannot find a direct train on this route.  Is there a Direct train?  If so, where do I need to look to find it?

Thanks for your assistance,

Greg

2 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

Sir,

I'm looking at SOU-GTW on Wednesday 28 August 2024.  I have also checked earlier Wednesdays incase I'm looking too far out.  In either event I cannot find a direct train on this route.  Is there a Direct train?  If so, where do I need to look to find it?

Thanks for your assistance,

Greg

Nothing direct, minimum 1 change.  Take a cab it’s about £100 per couple more, but less hassle.  But know CC will suggest cab companies with prices.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Nothing direct, minimum 1 change.  Take a cab it’s about £100 per couple more, but less hassle.  But know CC will suggest cab companies with prices.

I'm hoping for suggested alternatives.  Since there are 4 of us, I was thinking a car service of some sort might be close in price and much less hassle.

15 minutes ago, USNA 72 said:

I'm hoping for suggested alternatives.  Since there are 4 of us, I was thinking a car service of some sort might be close in price and much less hassle.

Agreed, a people carrier will be about the same total price of a cab to the station, then 4 tickets.  No train, no angst.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@gdlamberth

Hi Greg,

The hourly direct trains between Southampton (SOU) & Gatwick airport (GTW) have been switched in a timetable re-shuffle effective from June.🙁

Those hourly trains will then run between Portsmouth & Gatwick, but from Southampton it will mean only one very simple same-platform change 

Take the hourly Brighton-bound train from Southampton Central at 20 minutes past the hour to Havant where you have a simple change to that train from Portsmouth, which arrives on the same platform about 20 minutes later.

So a simple same-platform change, journey time about 20 minutes longer, fare £20.10.

(same frequency, routine & fare going from Gatwick to Southampton, except that the same-platform change is at Barnham instead of Havant)

There's an alternative hourly train on the hour to Clapham Junction which is a different route - the journey time is a little quicker, but the change at Clapham Junction isn't simple,, and the fare is £44.50 😮

Another alternative involves two awkward changes, at Basingstoke and Clapham Junction, same $44.50 fare.

I'll repeat, a same-platform change at Havant is no big deal.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  (the national site)

or 

https://www.southernrailway.com/ (the train operator)

(same info, same prices, but different layout - choose whichever you find easiest)

Sorry Port Royal, but sadly £100 for a private transfer to Gatwick is well out-of-date.

Expect to pay £130 to £140 for a sedan, probably £150+ for four people plus luggage.

That said, it's better value for four than for two, and mebbe worth considering. 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

@gdlamberth

Hi Greg,

The hourly direct trains between Southampton (SOU) & Gatwick airport (GTW) have been switched in a timetable re-shuffle effective from June.🙁

Those hourly trains will then run between Portsmouth & Gatwick, but from Southampton it will mean only one very simple same-platform change 

Take the hourly Brighton-bound train from Southampton Central at 20 minutes past the hour to Havant where you have a simple change to that train from Portsmouth, which arrives on the same platform about 20 minutes later.

So a simple same-platform change, journey time about 20 minutes longer, fare £20.10.

(same frequency, routine & fare going from Gatwick to Southampton, except that the same-platform change is at Barnham instead of Havant)

There's an alternative hourly train on the hour to Clapham Junction which is a different route - the journey time is a little quicker, but the change at Clapham Junction isn't simple,, and the fare is £44.50 😮

Another alternative involves two awkward changes, at Basingstoke and Clapham Junction, same $44.50 fare.

I'll repeat, a same-platform change at Havant is no big deal.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  (the national site)

or 

https://www.southernrailway.com/ (the train operator)

(same info, same prices, but different layout - choose whichever you find easiest)

Sorry Port Royal, but sadly £100 for a private transfer to Gatwick is well out-of-date.

Expect to pay £130 to £140 for a sedan, probably £150+ for four people plus luggage.

That said, it's better value for four than for two, and mebbe worth considering. 

JB 🙂

May one clarify?  
The discussion with OP was on the potential transfer by train and one mentioned a train being about £100 more for 2 pax, but less hassle.  But one’s post did successfully generate the required information on prices.  So a win-win

13 hours ago, John Bull said:

So a simple same-platform change, journey time about 20 minutes longer, fare £20.10

I just looked on the Southern Site and they offer an "Off-Peak" for 20.10GBP which, as discussed many times, is only good for that one train only.  They also offer an "Anytime" fare at 21GBP; and, if I am understanding correctly, that fare is good for ANYTIME that day.  I am understanding that correctly?  IF so, that seems like an inexpensive and safe alternative.  AM I understanding correctly??

Any recent Hire Car Company suggestions?  

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time and effort to assist me in my quest.

Greg

48 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

I just looked on the Southern Site and they offer an "Off-Peak" for 20.10GBP which, as discussed many times, is only good for that one train only.  They also offer an "Anytime" fare at 21GBP; and, if I am understanding correctly, that fare is good for ANYTIME that day.  I am understanding that correctly?  IF so, that seems like an inexpensive and safe alternative.  AM I understanding correctly??

Any recent Hire Car Company suggestions?  

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time and effort to assist me in my quest.

Greg

The £21.00 fare is just for the 7.19 train, which is way too early to be sure of making it.

And there's no train on that route at 8.20 - but yes, all the hourly trains from 9.20 via a change at Havant are at £20.10. And no need to buy in advance or specify a train time - these aren't cheap Advance fares, they're off-peak (anytime) fares. Peak fares are only on major routes such as Southampton to London Waterloo, which is one reason why the route via Clapham Junction is so expensive.

Altho most flight check-ins are open until an hour or less before flight time you need to be at Gatwick at least 2 hours before your flight to allow for delays at check-in and security,  a potential transfer to the North Terminal (the train station is inside South Terminal), and sometimes a long walk to the boarding gate.

If your flight isn't before about 2pm it's the way to go.

Car rental doesn't make sense - there's time lost collecting & returning, a big one-way charge, and we always drive a complicated cross-country route with lots of options to avoid being trapped by a motorway (freeway) log-jam.

If the train timings don't suit your flight time, a private transfer could make sense.

Those at the Southampton end include https://westquaycars.com/  and https://www.aquacars.co.uk/ and https://gunwharf-executive-travel.co.uk/

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:02 PM, bcahill134 said:

LHR to Southampton - National Express run scheduled direct coaches every couple of hours. Quick, easy and relatively cheap.

Otherwise you’re looking at a private car for $200 or more.

Southampton to Paris - there’s one direct flight a day, normally around 5pm (3pm on Fridays, none on Saturdays).

Otherwise you can fly from Heathrow or Gatwick or catch the train up to London Waterloo, jump in a cab to St Pancras and catch the Eurostar train from there direct to Paris Gare du Nord. Best to book the Eurostar asap as it’s dynamic pricing which only goes one way!

I really appreciate the info!  We are all booked on the National Express charter bus!  Will overnight in London and hit the Eurostar to Paris the next morning.  Again…thank you!

3 hours ago, bcahill134 said:

I really appreciate the info!  We are all booked on the National Express charter bus!  Will overnight in London and hit the Eurostar to Paris the next morning.  Again…thank you!

Great!

I should have said make sure you book the correct National Express stop at LHR.

The Southampton coaches start at Heathrow Central (for Terminals 2 & 3), then pick up at Terminal 5 (British Airways). 

7 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

LHR to Southampton - National Express run scheduled direct coaches every couple of hours. Quick, easy and relatively cheap.

Otherwise you’re looking at a private car for $200 or more.

Southampton to Paris - there’s one direct flight a day, normally around 5pm (3pm on Fridays, none on Saturdays).

Otherwise you can fly from Heathrow or Gatwick or catch the train up to London Waterloo, jump in a cab to St Pancras and catch the Eurostar train from there direct to Paris Gare du Nord. Best to book the Eurostar asap as it’s dynamic pricing which only goes one way!

Hi there!  Thanks for the info re: flights from Southampton to Paris.  We are on Princess Regal for the 12-night British Isle cruise returning to Southampton Sept 13th.  We originally were scheduled to disembark the day before (Sept 12th) at Le Havre with a bus tour to Paris that included being left off at the airport, train station or the Louvre.  We want to spend a few days in Paris.  However they just changed the Paris excursions that excludes those wanting to disembark in Le Havre (I am imagining they are not bringing guests to Paris in a vehicle that can handle all the luggage for those who plan to disembark in Le Havre.)  Sooooo - is there a way to disembark at Le Havre and find transportation to a Paris hotel (3 hour drive)?  Or is it going to be easier to return to Southampton and book a flight to Paris from there?  Looking for the best option since Mr.Mimosa has mobility issues.

Thanks for your help! - Rose

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mimosa09 said:

Hi there!  Thanks for the info re: flights from Southampton to Paris.  We are on Princess Regal for the 12-night British Isle cruise returning to Southampton Sept 13th.  We originally were scheduled to disembark the day before (Sept 12th) at Le Havre with a bus tour to Paris that included being left off at the airport, train station or the Louvre.  We want to spend a few days in Paris.  However they just changed the Paris excursions that excludes those wanting to disembark in Le Havre (I am imagining they are not bringing guests to Paris in a vehicle that can handle all the luggage for those who plan to disembark in Le Havre.)  Sooooo - is there a way to disembark at Le Havre and find transportation to a Paris hotel (3 hour drive)?  Or is it going to be easier to return to Southampton and book a flight to Paris from there?  Looking for the best option since Mr.Mimosa has mobility issues.

Thanks for your help! - Rose

I’m not an expert on transfer options in Le Havre but assuming Princess allow you to disembark a day early (some lines do, some don’t) I can’t imagine it’ll be a problem finding a car service to take you to Paris, although it won’t be cheap.

Or there’s a direct train to Paris St Lazare station every couple of hours if you can manage it with your luggage, which would be cheaper. There’s one at 10.03am, arriving at 12.20pm which would be ideal.

Otherwise if you have to return to Southampton, you can fly direct to Paris CDG. There’s one direct flight, with Eastern Airways, at 3.10pm on the day you arrive.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mimosa09 said:

We are on Princess Regal for the 12-night British Isle cruise returning to Southampton Sept 13th.

Rose, before you book anything--double check your dates. I think the Regal is back in Southampton on Sept. 12.

On 11/27/2023 at 5:32 AM, herbanrenewal said:
For an American sailing into Southampton, scheduled arrival at 6am. What would be reasonable time to allow self-disembark, clear passport control and customs, and meet driver. I'm trying to see if its likely to make a 1250pm flight from Gatwick on a Sunday morning.

Wondering if you already went and if so was it doable. We have a 12:20 flight Thanks

11 minutes ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

Wondering if you already went and if so was it doable. We have a 12:20 flight Thanks

I'm on a April 27 cruise, arrive in Southampton May 12. Most of my advice was that there's a fair chance of making it to Heathrow, but less likely to Gatwick. I've opted to stay near Gatwick overnight and fly home in the morning.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CRUISIN2X2 said:

12.20 is quite tight - it’s 90 miles so a 1 hour 40 minute drive on a good day, more if traffic’s bad on the notorious M25 motorway. So you’d probably want to be on the road by 8.30 at the latest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herbanrenewal said:

I'm on a April 27 cruise, arrive in Southampton May 12. Most of my advice was that there's a fair chance of making it to Heathrow, but less likely to Gatwick. I've opted to stay near Gatwick overnight and fly home in the morning.

We're doing pretty much the same thing a few months later.  Using the opportunity to spend a bit of time in London.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

I’m not an expert on transfer options in Le Havre but assuming Princess allow you to disembark a day early (some lines do, some don’t) I can’t imagine it’ll be a problem finding a car service to take you to Paris, although it won’t be cheap.

Or there’s a direct train to Paris St Lazare station every couple of hours if you can manage it with your luggage, which would be cheaper. There’s one at 10.03am, arriving at 12.20pm which would be ideal.

Otherwise if you have to return to Southampton, you can fly direct to Paris CDG. There’s one direct flight, with Eastern Airways, at 3.10pm on the day you arrive.

Thank you for your info.  We will probably opt for a car service for several reasons.  1) Wrangling the luggage at a train station (much less getting to the train station) will be difficult for Mr. Mimosa.  2) Paris is 3hrs away from Le Havre.  Going back to Southampton means disembarking there, getting a taxi to the airport and waiting to board on an afternoon flight to Paris and when arriving in Paris - another hour or more traveling to the hotel we like in Paris. That means our arrival would be in the evening not the afternoon if we got a ride to Paris on the previous day. We are thinking hiring a car service may be cheaper and faster than booking a flight from Southampton - but of course we will investigate and see.

And when I talked to Princess yesterday, it sounded like we can disembark in Le Havre like we originally planned for the excursion they had originally offered.  The problem was due to some "mechanical issues" they were not offering the excursion any more for those passengers that wanted to take advantage of bringing their luggage to either stay in Paris or take a train or flight from Paris.  Again, more investigation needs to happen before leaving on this trip.

Again, thanks for responding!

- Rose

Edited by Mimosa09