Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!

Host Anne

On 11/15/2023 at 6:50 AM, jas283a said:

Just picking up this thread. Quick question, I had seen somewhere that you can often do a tour of Stonehenge (or Windsor castle) on a transfer to the airport. We’re on Princess in June and they offer this. Any recommendations for companies to look at?

Your flight would have to be fairly late in the day for this to work.

2 hours ago, jas283a said:

Our flight is around 5 PM, so I think we'd have time from what I've read. 

I think the only International Friends trip that you could manage would be Southampton to London (including Heathrow) via Stonehenge https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/southampton-to-london-via-stonehenge.html. All of their other tours don't get you to the Airport until at least 4:45.

After reading this thread, and the older one, I am now trying to decide between several transfer companies.  I am looking at three transfers - Heathrow -> Southampton, Southampton -> London, and London -> Heathrow.  The companies I am looking at are:  Meadway Cars, Jewels Airport Transfers, Aquacars, West Quay Cars & International Friends (I don't have a quote back from them as yet).  Does anyone have any recommendation for whom to use?

Thanks!

On 11/5/2023 at 6:31 AM, Globaliser said:

There's no foreseeable prospect of Oyster being completely withdrawn, because of the proportion of the travelling population that either cannot get a bank-issued payment card or would find it extremely difficult to get or keep one, and because there are some TfL tickets and discounts that can only be loaded onto an Oyster.

So those of us who know and appreciate the advantages of Oyster over a bank card can rest easy! And I don't think there are any mainstream situations left in which the pay-as-you-go fare using a bank card is cheaper than the fare you'd pay using an Oyster.

The contactless Tap On Tap Off payment is CAPPED.  It will never go over the daily maximum as using Oyster card.  You can read all that on the Transit system website.  In fact, your bank card is NOT charged until 4am next morning, so the system can tally up your total cost, then only charge you the lower of usage or daily cap.  No transaction fee, and if your card has no foreign transaction fee, there is ZERO fee to use the contactless credit card.  A HUGE improvement for we who come from US!  Very very convenient, no need to buy any ticket in advance, works on ALL public transportation modes, from train to metro to bus to even the expensive ferry.

51 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

The contactless Tap On Tap Off payment is CAPPED.  It will never go over the daily maximum as using Oyster card.

The contactless cap is the same as the Oyster cap. There is a daily cap, and there is also a weekly (Monday-Sunday) cap. In almost all circumstances where you can use Oyster, it costs the same to use contactless as it does to use Oyster.

I would like transportation from Southampton to LHR.   My flight is 4 pm.   Standard transportation would get me there by 11 am based on what I have been reading which is early.    Tour transfers would arrive too late.  

Are there options for a trip which would have a brief stop somewhere?   I want to minimize my baggage handling so I don't want a multi step trip to London and public transport from there to LHR.   

• Like 1

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Southampton-London Transfers - Airport (LHR/LGW) - NEW THREAD!
9 hours ago, schildiams said:

Is the train feasible after disembark, to LHR for a 2:45 pm flight? 

The train from Southampton is not really a good option if you're flying from Heathrow, because the direct train goes to central London not Heathrow. You can in theory get a train from Southampton to Woking, and then change there for the Railair coach to Heathrow. But if you're going to do that, you may be better off just getting a National Express coach directly from Southampton to Heathrow.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, herbanrenewal said:

Arriving on TA from NYC to Southampton on May 12, 2024. Planning on using National Express bus to London. How do I get from pier to bus station? Do I need to prebook bus or can I just get to bus station and catch next bus?

Jump in a cab outside the terminal, it shouldn’t take more than 5-10 minutes.

You should book the National Express in advance as they can and do sell out. Should be cheaper as well.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, kurtp13 said:

I would like transportation from Southampton to LHR.   My flight is 4 pm.   Standard transportation would get me there by 11 am based on what I have been reading which is early.    Tour transfers would arrive too late.  

Are there options for a trip which would have a brief stop somewhere?   I want to minimize my baggage handling so I don't want a multi step trip to London and public transport from there to LHR.   

This company is often recommended: https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk

But I don’t know whether any of their tours will get you to LHR in time for a 4pm flight, you’ll have to check.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:31 AM, Nn2036 said:

I am thinking about a flight out of LHR at 11:55 am. Do I have enough time from when the cruise ship arrives to make that flight?

Royal Caribean ship visiting Norway Fjord

Yes, as long as you disembark promptly (before 8am). Southampton to Heathrow is roughly 90 minutes by car if there’s no traffic, more if it’s busy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 1:12 PM, Shiba_Lover said:

If you choose to stay in Southampton the evening before the cruise - check out the WhiteStar tavern and inn.  It is named so because many passengers and crew would dine here before sailing on the line's ships.  It has rooms named after their ships (yes, including a Titanic room).  We are actually staying here this coming June 2024 before our cruise out of Southampton.

History of The White Star pub and hotel in Southampto (whitestartavern.co.uk)  

Pardon me, but I really needed to respond. We do not care for a modern (chrome and glass) type decor and were attracted to this hotel as well. We stayed there one night (I thank God that was all) pre-cruise this past June.

This was one of the very worst lodging/ hotel experience we have ever endured.

1. Please know that you will NOT be able to even come close to checking in before 4:00 pm. There were about 20 guests waiting in the hotel for check-in. We arrived at the hotel about noon the next day after our flight(s) from Washington State. We had been "up" for at least 24 hours Plus. Upon arrival, we were told that under no circumstances would we be able to check in before 4:00 p.m. (even though some rooms were most likely ready). The manager was very into her personal power authority.

2. When I made the reservation, I asked for a quiet location because I had read about the rooms in the front on the busy street. We were first in line to be checked in.

3. We received one of the very worst rooms! If you look at the photo on their ad, we were placed in the middle room with the windows just above the first yellow awning.

4. I think it was a Friday night and the extremely loud music and crowds droned on until about 1:30 am. The hotel restaurant and the one across the street were like a loud frat party and carnival until then. This street is closed to traffic and filled with partiers and pedestrians until the wee hours.

The only redeeming factor was a sweet guy who I think was the Assistant Manager and I think that if I was reading his mind correctly, he was uncomfortable with the Manager and her control and power trips. He was actually a sweetheart with information later, especially when she went off duty.

The sweetheart manager called us a cab the next morning to take us to the port and the driver was very friendly and knowledgeable, taking us straight to the Sky Princess, as there were about 5 ships in port that morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:40 AM, herbanrenewal said:

Arriving on TA from NYC to Southampton on May 12, 2024. Planning on using National Express bus to London. How do I get from pier to bus station? Do I need to prebook bus or can I just get to bus station and catch next bus?

We used bus last year and just walked-up and bought tickets for 2 of us. We took a cab from port.

Once we arrived in London we walked to Victoria train station, dropped off luggage at 'Left Luggage' and boarded a Hop On Hop Off to see London.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, alleghator said:

Flying into Gatwick in July, landing at 11:45. Debating car service vs train to get to Southampton. Embarkation isn't until the following day.

We're also flying into Gatwick in July and taking the train, as long as they don't have a rail strike. Luckily, they let people know ahead of time. Last year we missed a strike by one day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, kurtp13 said:

Living in Hampshire one of the things we like to do every so often is visit Jane Austen”s house in Chawton. This is where she wrote many of her most famous novels and is in a really nice quaint English village.  It’s very interesting and  doesn’t take too long to go round the house (an hour /  90 mins) and there is a nice pub to get lunch.  Only problem would be transport. It is in the general direction of London / Heathrow but a bit off the beaten track. I guess the only feasible option would be to get a taxi/ cab and ask them to wait for you while you go round the house, and then continue on to Heathrow. 

https://janeaustens.house

Anyway just thought I’d add this as something potentially slightly different.  

cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 2:32 AM, herbanrenewal said:
For an American sailing into Southampton, scheduled arrival at 6am. What would be reasonable time to allow self-disembark, clear passport control and customs, and meet driver. I'm trying to see if its likely to make a 1250pm flight from Gatwick on a Sunday morning.

We took a Princess transfer that was scheduled to leave the port at 9:00 am. It was a late departure with traffic. We arrived at LHR about noon. You may be "scheduled" to arrive at 6:00 am but the earliest you can disembark will be 7:30 as an independent walk off ( hauling your own luggage). If you take an independent transfer (cab) and all goes well, then it would be fine.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2023 at 1:40 PM, herbanrenewal said:

We are on the same sailing and booked the 09:35am . Cost us  19.67 usd (on credit card with no international surcharges) for the 2 tickets to the Victoria bus station. 

On 12/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, gumshoe958 said:

Jump in a cab outside the terminal, it shouldn’t take more than 5-10 minutes.

You should book the National Express in advance as they can and do sell out. Should be cheaper as well.

I assume there are no bus transfers to the Southampton coach station. Any idea how long the queue would be to get a taxi when a roughly 3000 passenger  cruise line arrives?

7 hours ago, wilsonhold said:

We are on the same sailing and booked the 09:35am . Cost us  19.67 usd (on credit card with no international surcharges) for the 2 tickets to the Victoria bus station. 

I assume there are no bus transfers to the Southampton coach station. Any idea how long the queue would be to get a taxi when a roughly 3000 passenger  cruise line arrives?

I've  heard some who walked out and got a taxi, and others who said over an hour in queue. My backup plan is to walk - its around a mile, (roughly 1.4km) according to google maps.