Celebrity Edge has Entered Dry Dock

Jim_Iain

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The drydock include sandblasting and usually painting the hull if needed.     I'm sure the barnacles will be removed as I understand that is a requirement to sail in New Zealand waters.   That is pure hearsay and welcome correction.   They usually also service and rebuild the azipods and then they do sea trial before re-entering service.

I wish more pictures would be posted.   Normally the Captain and the Crew are out shooting pictures as well as some of the staff at the Dry Dock. 

3 hours ago, cruisefam38 said:

Will the drydock include removing and sandblasting away the Big Orange Barnacle?

I think @cruisefam38 was referring to the orange Magic Carpet, LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, terrydtx said:

When the ship is moving the MC is pretty useless with the wind. I never saw more than 4 or 5 people using it on the Apex last month.

We have only done one Edge class sailing and that was on Edge in  February 2020.  We went to the Magic Carpet twice - had a quick drink and left.  It was just too windy to be enjoyable.  You had to hold your napkin down when you picked up your drink or it would fly away in the breeze (we were sitting at the bar both times). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrydtx said:

When the ship is moving the MC is pretty useless with the wind. I never saw more than 4 or 5 people using it on the Apex last month.

On Apex they had the Magic Carpet (special dinner) scheduled on all three of our B3B.    Due to the winds they relocated it to the Spa.  Yuck... just what I want sitting at table clothed tables with the wonderful fragrance of Chlorine.  

Like you Terry  -  I've never seen more than a hand full of people on it except when something interesting to see -  about the closest many have for a forward facing view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, hcat said:

None of those  US  cities have a great safety rating recently.   I lived in the  DC area for several yrs without issues,  and we used to enjoy all Manhattan had to.offer... Now,  all  a big  mess.

As   you stated, each person has their own sense of safety and well being (and  where we want to spend money.)

.. btw saw your most recent ship listed in  a recent TAUK TOUR catalogue!  Interesting..

Tauk often does Tours on Ponant Ships.   

On 10/16/2023 at 3:32 PM, jelayne said:

has been reported that they will be adding a bar in the Retreat Lounge like there is on the Apex and Beyond.

I do hope that the do this. Was very pleased to see that on the Apex

On 10/15/2023 at 10:57 PM, jelayne said:

Yes she is getting ready for her grand voyage from Europe  to Australia.  We will, take her half way and then hand her over to you and Iain to take her the final 2 legs

I’m excited to hear any and all updates on her.  Hope you can share. Sorry we won’t meet you, we don’t board until Sydney

On 10/19/2023 at 11:55 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Starting to get excite.   I still have a hard time wrapping my head around

I’m with you on the flights. Coming from Kansas City to Auckland and on to Christchurch all in one “day” over 23 hours flight time. We are staying in New Zealand for a few weeks before we head to Sydney for a week before boarding. Hard to believe it is finally getting here.

On 10/22/2023 at 1:36 AM, crusinthrough said:

I also hope there is seating at the bar.  Getting a drink from the bar is not the same.  

The bar on the Apex and Beyond are nothing more than service bars.

I'm guessing that is the plan for the Edge.

It was very disappointing to me as I always enjoyed having a couple drinks at the bar in Michaels Club on the S Class ships.

There is plenty of room in the Retreat Lounge to place a bar with 8-10 seats.

1 hour ago, Squonks said:

I’m excited to hear any and all updates on her.  Hope you can share. Sorry we won’t meet you, we don’t board until Sydney

Will be posting live starting in about 3 weeks.   We fly to Singapore on October 20

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squonks said:

I’m with you on the flights. Coming from Kansas City to Auckland and on to Christchurch all in one “day” over 23 hours flight time. We are staying in New Zealand for a few weeks before we head to Sydney for a week before boarding. Hard to believe it is finally getting here.

I use to fly SFO to SYD regularly going back to the days when a 747 couldn't make it non-stop requiring a fuel stop  in HNL or AUK.     I would wash up and get into a suit prior to landing and start working as soon as I was picked up at the Airport.

Age takes a toll and my body does not adjust as well now.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

The bar on the Apex and Beyond are nothing more than service bars.

I'm guessing that is the plan for the Edge.

It was very disappointing to me as I always enjoyed having a couple drinks at the bar in Michaels Club on the S Class ships.

There is plenty of room in the Retreat Lounge to place a bar with 8-10 seats.

That is my understanding.      I also like the wrap around bars on some of the S Class ships in Retreat.

At least my experience has been the bartender in Retreat on E-Class can see much of the room and tell when someone needs a refill.    Many of course walk up and order one and have a chat while waiting. 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:24 PM, terrydtx said:

A little wind never bothered me…it’s also excellent for tendering..but now we are getting off topic…I’ll be quiet and enjoy the pictures.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use to fly SFO to SYD regularly going back to the days when a 747 couldn't make it non-stop requiring a fuel stop  in HNL or AUK.     I would wash up and get into a suit prior to landing and start working as soon as I was picked up at the Airport.

Age takes a toll and my body does not adjust as well now.  

Back in the late 1990's I would fly to Bejing from SFO twice a month for business usually in coach and I dreaded those 14 hour flights. Even BC didn't have lie flat seats back then.  I did the same, I would put on my suit in the plane and be ready for work from the time I was picked up at the airport.

Edited by terrydtx

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Back in the late 1990's I would fly to Bejing from SFO twice a month for business usually in coach and I dreaded those 14 hour flights. Even BC didn't have lie flat seats back then.  I did the same, I would put on my suit in the plane and be ready for work from the time I was picked up at the airport.

I was luck that my company would always fly me First Class.   I could even shampoo my hair, shave and get dressed in a suite prior to arrival.    My first trip to Sydney was in United's 747 Dining in the Sky with table clothed tables and carving at your table.   Them days are long gone.

First Class seats back then were like Domestic First Class now.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, terrydtx said:

Jim, you may have missed your fight, today is October 25th, LOL

ooops.    The trouble with retirement.    How can I do that.   My Birthday is November 26 the day after we board.   LOL

• Haha 3