Our Carnival Venezia B2B - 21 days of "Fun Italian Style" (with pics) - 9/23/23

Jamman54

Since all of our luggage had been brought over by Blessing, we unpacked everything and stowed our suitcases under the bed. We met our new room steward Edy, with one “D”……

IMG_7114-XL.jpg

We told him that we would like morning service which wasn’t a problem, but then the pushbacks started. We requested an ice bucket and his reply was that he wasn’t sure he could get one for us. I told him that in 67 previous Carnival cruises we had no problem getting an ice bucket, and that Blessing had no problem getting us one on the last cruise. We got our ice bucket, though on a couple of occasions he neglected to fill it. We requested three sets of towels each day, and he would remember for one day and then he had to be reminded over and over again. The kicker was the pool towels. We used ours in Grand Turk, and when we asked for replacements, he told us that we could get them up by the pool, or when we got off the ship. Really? We have to go out of our way to get the pool towels, instead of you just replacing them like you’re supposed to? This guy was working his way from getting any additional tips from us. We were really missing Blessing now!

We hung out in the cabin relaxing until sail away which was supposed to be 4pm. Here are a few views from our balcony……

IMG_7119-XL.jpg

IMG_7120-XL.jpg

IMG_7121-XL.jpg

Captain Crescenzo made the announcement that because of the flooding they were going to wait until 6pm to sail for late arriving passengers.

Unfortunately, the weather was going to make for another dreary sail away. We are planning on watching the first part of it from our balcony. At 6pm the Venezia backed out of Pier 88 and into the Hudson River. Unofficially, I had heard that about 200 people did not make the ship on time…..

IMG_7126-XL.jpg

IMG_7131-XL.jpg

IMG_7136-XL.jpg

IMG_7140-XL.jpg

We are looking up the Hudson River at the George Washington Bridge….

IMG_7129-XL.jpg

We are now sailing down the Hudson River past the Intrepid Museum…..

IMG_7146-XL.jpg

IMG_7144-XL.jpg

IMG_7147-XL.jpg

IMG_7153-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 16

We continue to sail down the Hudson River…..

IMG_7178-XL.jpg

IMG_7179-XL.jpg

IMG_7177-XL.jpg

We are sailing past the Chelsea Piers…..

IMG_7181-XL.jpg

IMG_7183-XL.jpg

There are those golf tees again….

IMG_7185-XL.jpg

Here is the view from the bow camera….

IMG_7186-XL.jpg

At this point we leave our cabin and head to the Terrazza Area for the rest of the sail away. Here are a couple of views of the New Jersey side…..

IMG_7187-XL.jpg

IMG_7189-XL.jpg

IMG_7208-XL.jpg

IMG_7211-XL.jpg

To be continued….

• Like 15

We are now passing Ellis Island……

IMG_7226-XL.jpg

IMG_7224-XL.jpg

We’re looking up at the aft Terrazza cabins…..

IMG_7212-XL.jpg

We are sailing by Lady Liberty once again…..

IMG_7234-XL.jpg

IMG_7231-XL.jpg

IMG_7232-XL.jpg

IMG_7242-XL.jpg

The Queen Mary 2 is docked at Red Hook in Brooklyn. I had read that she waited until 10pm for late arriving passengers before sailing to Southampton…..

IMG_7246-XL.jpg

We made our way back inside and decided to eat at Bonsai Sushi again…..

IMG_7260-XL.jpg

IMG_7248-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 16

Patti had Edamame, green salad, and California rolls…..

IMG_7250-XL.jpg

IMG_7256-XL.jpg

I had the miso soup, kakuni, bang bang rolls, beef & chicken skewers, and a green tea cupcake……

IMG_7249-XL.jpg

IMG_7254-XL.jpg

IMG_7255-XL.jpg

IMG_7258-XL.jpg

IMG_7259-XL.jpg

That was another great meal at Bonsai Sushi. Here is a view of the Piazza San Marco from Deck 5…..

IMG_7264-XL.jpg

The Quora String Trio is playing in the Piazza San Marco…..

IMG_7267-XL.jpg

IMG_7268-XL.jpg

IMG_7270-XL.jpg

IMG_7272-XL.jpg

IMG_7274-XL.jpg

Patti heads over to Pixels to pick up our Diamond gifts. I head down to the Lobby Bar for a double rum and Pepsi, and also to pick up our water bottle….

IMG_7275-XL.jpg

We head back to the cabin where we find some fruit and a bottle of champagne from the Hotel Director for our B2B….

IMG_7278-XL.jpg

Coming up next: We’re heading south and it’s beginning to warm up!

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Jamman54 said:

Unfortunately, Edy earned a 0% increase over his standard gratuity. That's hard to do with us. :classic_cool:

1 minute ago, Jamman54 said:

Unfortunately, Edy earned a 0% increase over his standard gratuity. That's hard to do with us. :classic_cool:

I hear you.  37 CCL  cruises for us and we've never had an issue with getting an ice bucket or pool towels!  It's not that hard!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

The kicker was the pool towels. We used ours in Grand Turk, and when we asked for replacements, he told us that we could get them up by the pool, or when we got off the ship. Really? We have to go out of our way to get the pool towels, instead of you just replacing them like you’re supposed to?

I had veteran steward I Wayan(from Bali, Indonesia)on deck 10 at the bow who I felt was strong in all aspects. Even though I was travelling solo and had 4 pool towels to start with he would replace them every day when I took one for the pool or an excursion. At St. Lucia we chatted for a time out on the quiet public balcony in front of my room with him reminiscing about his first visit to the island years ago. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

I had veteran steward I Wayan(from Bali, Indonesia)on deck 10 at the bow who I felt was strong in all aspects. Even though I was travelling solo and had 4 pool towels to start with he would replace them every day when I took one for the pool or an excursion. At St. Lucia we chatted for a time out on the quiet public balcony in front of my room with him reminiscing about his first visit to the island years ago. 

That's the way it's supposed to be. Glad you had a great steward. Blessing, our steward for the first cruise was a gem. Edy seemed to want to do as little as possible. :classic_cool:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Our steward Wayan was great.  Our ice bucket was always filled, in addition to our towels being replaced after use.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rwest898 said:

Our steward Wayan was great.  Our ice bucket was always filled, in addition to our towels being replaced after use.

Hey Rhonda! It was a pleasure to meet you and Keith on the Venezia. You should be making your review debut in the next day or two! 😁  Most of the stewards are very good. Everyone can have a bad day or even week, but 15 days? 😎

• Like 6

Aloha. Thank you for your posts and pictures and hope you have a wonderful vacation. Blessed to cruise since 1971 and sailing out of Manhattan where I was born and raised is always special.  Now we divide our time between NY and Honolulu but love looking at the skyline pictures.  Every now and then we encounter a less than stellar steward but when that happens I vote my disappointment with my wallet which I hate to do.

• Like 5

Great report and beautiful pictures as always. And you make a great case for B2Bs because your second departure day was a true nightmare in the city. My normal 1 hour drive home took more than 3 that day due to flooded roadways, on top of that commuter trains were down, and many subways were flooded. Hopefully everyone made it to the ship safely.

And it makes sense that the QM2 was held even longer, Red Hook is notoriously a place you don't want to be when we get heavy rains, the streets flood like crazy even with moderate rains. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

That's the way it's supposed to be. Glad you had a great steward. Blessing, our steward for the first cruise was a gem. Edy seemed to want to do as little as possible. :classic_cool:

I'm sorry that you had less than stellar service from Edy. One area I've always felt Carnival was really strong in was their cabin attendants! We've never encountered any issues with ours in 20 cruises! This last cruise, we didn't have any issues. 

Our last cruise, I was a little worried that we should have requested new pool towels before we left the ship in Nassau, knowing that ours would be wet when we got back to the ship and she would have already serviced our cabin. I didn't know if she would leave fresh towels before removing the current towels from our cabin - which were at that time with us off the ship! We had an early port call the next day and knew we'd want dry towels for it. Much to our delight, when we got back on the ship in Nassau, we already had clean dry towels waiting for us! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Every now and then we encounter a less than stellar steward but when that happens I vote my disappointment with my wallet which I hate to do.

MSC delivered my luggage soaked after it sat is a sudden downpour for twenty minutes. Several hours after I visited Guest Services, the steward showed up with about thirty wire hangers (dry-cleaning hangers) and suggested I hang the wet clothing from the pleats in the drapes. Later in the cruise, I asked her at 5 p.m. for a bag for my free laundry. She just nodded and delivered the bag while we were out that evening.  The next morning, she told us that the deadline for free laundry was 9 p.m. the night before. I think that qualifies as “less than stellar”. 

BTW, MSC would have done the laundry that day if I paid for it, but not if I wanted to use my free bag 🙄

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Indiansbaseball said:

WOW ! How did I miss this ? Loving it so far ! Venezia Sept. 24…we sail on Friday…now I’m nervous ! 
Jen

Thanks for reading! Don't sweat it. I'm sure you are flying in at least the day before. It's trying to commute into the city the day of during the week that can be a little hairy. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

Day # 8  -  9/30/23  -  Fun Day at Sea  # 3.

We were up at 7am to a partly sunny day. The temperature is now 65 degrees and will climb higher as the day goes on. The seas are just a little choppy. For the first time since boarding the Venezia one week ago, I will be wearing shorts today! Here are our views from our balcony as the Venezia heads towards Grand Turk……

IMG_7283-XL.jpg

IMG_7285-XL.jpg

Here is the first sunrise of this cruise…..

IMG_7287-XL.jpg

IMG_7289-XL.jpg

IMG_7291-XL.jpg

Here are today’s Fun Times…..

IMG_7280-XL.jpg

IMG_7281-XL.jpg

IMG_7282-XL.jpg

I made my way up to the Java Blue Café for my morning coffee, and then back to the cabin to work on pictures. At 9:30 we went to “The Wave” morning show in the Teatro Rosso. Cruise Director Joey is the host, along with Al from the Fun Squad, and Marc from the Playlist Cast…..

IMG_7306-XL.jpg

IMG_7299-XL.jpg

IMG_7304-XL.jpg

IMG_7307-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 14

They are joined onstage by the Shopping Expert Lionel….

IMG_7315-XL.jpg

IMG_7316-XL.jpg

After the show, Patti went to the Gondola Lounge to take some pictures of Tom & Jo, the dance instructors we had seen on our Hawaii cruise. They are such sweet people…..

IMG_7322-XL.jpg

IMG_7326-XL.jpg

IMG_7329-XL.jpg

I had made my way down to the Lobby Bar where I met up with Rich, Charlie, Kathy, and Janice. Patti took this shot from up on Deck 5……

IMG_7330-XL.jpg

Valentina took this picture of our whole group…..

IMG_7332-XL.jpg

Looking over at Guest Services, for some reason the line there is very long…..

IMG_7333-XL.jpg

At 11am the group heads to the Marco Polo Restaurant for the Diamond Lunch…..

IMG_7340-XL.jpg

IMG_7341-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 15

Patti takes our table picture….

IMG_7346-XL.jpg

The first of our drinks has arrived…..

IMG_7347-XL.jpg

They are giving out masquerade masks to anyone that needs one for later tonight…..

IMG_7348-XL.jpg

The menu is the same one as last cruise…..

IMG_5764-XL.jpg

Cruise Director Joey and Captain Crescenzo say a few words…..

IMG_7363-XL.jpg

IMG_7361-XL.jpg

Patti had a Caesar salad, baked vegetable casserole, and the pear almond crostata….

IMG_7350-XL.jpg

IMG_7366-XL.jpg

IMG_7368-XL.jpg

I had the meat pies, bacon wrapped filet mignon, and chocolate decadence…..

IMG_7351-XL.jpg

IMG_7367-XL.jpg

IMG_7369-XL.jpg

The drinks were flowing, the food was good, and a great time was had by all!

To be continued…..

• Like 14

Patti went to check out the La Strada Grill, which is located outside on Deck 5, across from the Gondola Lounge. It is only open on embarkation day and sea days from noon to 2:30pm…..

IMG_7373-XL.jpg

IMG_7372-XL.jpg

IMG_7374-XL.jpg

IMG_7375-XL.jpg

IMG_7376-XL.jpg

IMG_7377-XL.jpg

IMG_7378-XL.jpg

IMG_7380-XL.jpg

IMG_7383-XL.jpg

IMG_7384-XL.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 13

Afterwards, they had an afternoon session of Deal or No Deal, so we went…..

IMG_7385-XL.jpg

The first contestant was David V, and he chose Case # 9…..

IMG_7390-XL.jpg

IMG_7391-XL.jpg

IMG_7392-XL.jpg

He plays the game down to the last two cases, and then says No Deal to the banker’s offer of $121…..

IMG_7400-XL.jpg

He wins $250…..

IMG_7403-XL.jpg

IMG_7406-XL.jpg

The second contestant is John W, but he sends his wife Mary to play for him….

IMG_7407-XL.jpg

IMG_7409-XL.jpg

She also plays the game down to the last two cases, and then says No Deal to the banker’s offer of $96…..

IMG_7418-XL.jpg

She wins $150…..

IMG_7420-XL.jpg

We wound up winning two bingo packages that Patti will use later in the cruise.

To be continued…..

• Like 18