Which excursion should I do in Geiranger?

Travelbug424

Hey All!

I am going on my first Celebrity cruise next July and having a hard time picking out an excursion in Geiranger. I am torn between Mount Dalsnibba summit or Fjord center and scenic views. Has anyone been on either? I am very interested in the Dalsnibba one but it says moderate activity level and wasn’t sure what that meant exactly. Any tips on cruising with Celebrity are welcome!

9 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've taken the Mount Dalsnibba one and it was excellent.  You take a bus to the top of the mountain where you get off and walk around as much or as little as you like to admire the view.  Then bus back.  That's pretty low-level activity in my view.

Thank you so much!

Look up the Hop on Hop off bus for Geirangefjord. It leaves regularly from behind the visitors centre. No reservations required. We used it and got off at the Fjord Centre on the way down and then walked down the steps by all the waterfalls, absolutely amazing. I can’t think of a better way to see Geiranger and way cheaper than similar excursions offered by the ship. Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the ship excursion to the mountain is scenic and easy for most levels of mobility.  

In 2015, we took a non-ship bus excursion up the mountain that mirrored the ship excursion.  There were more than a dozen of us from our meet and mingle thread who went on this excursion.  Our bus wouldn’t start once we were ready to leave the top of the mountain.  😡. They had to drive another bus up the mountain to return us to port.  We had 15 minutes to spare before “all aboard” time.  Never again.  The Norwegian’s are a lovely people but our bus driver was way too laid back.  We were all freaking out on top of the mountain especially when the clouds rolled in way below us.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2023 at 11:13 AM, Charles4515 said:

You don't need a cruise line excusion for Mount Dalsnibba. We took a taxi up and the driver waited for us and took us back down. 

Charles,

Thanks for the info.  A few questions on the taxi journey.  First, how long is the trip there & back?  Second do you remember how much it costs?  Lastly, are there taxis close to the pier?  We are on an excursion that ends at 4PM and all aboard is 6:30PM (ship departs at 7PM).  So want to see if this is doable in the 2.5 hours we have after our excursion.

Best,

Steven

On 10/22/2023 at 6:34 AM, Travelbug424 said:

Hey All!

I am going on my first Celebrity cruise next July and having a hard time picking out an excursion in Geiranger. I am torn between Mount Dalsnibba summit or Fjord center and scenic views. Has anyone been on either? I am very interested in the Dalsnibba one but it says moderate activity level and wasn’t sure what that meant exactly. Any tips on cruising with Celebrity are welcome!

The ride Up (and Down) is not for those who can get "car sick" as the road is quite steep and has a lot of switchbacks and curves.

Didn't bother us but some were looking for the B--F bags.

On one visit we did the boat ride down the Fjord and that was quite pleasant.

8 hours ago, CaribbeanSteve said:

Charles,

Thanks for the info.  A few questions on the taxi journey.  First, how long is the trip there & back?  Second do you remember how much it costs?  Lastly, are there taxis close to the pier?  We are on an excursion that ends at 4PM and all aboard is 6:30PM (ship departs at 7PM).  So want to see if this is doable in the 2.5 hours we have after our excursion.

Best,

Steven

I don’t recall the cost as it was a few years ago. We walked to the visitor center as we were thinking of taking a bus up but the taxi driver who was from Poland was there and we decided to go up with him. I probably would not do it after an excursion that ends at 4 with all aboard at 6:30. I would probably be tired after the excursion and not want to worry about getting back to the ship,  I would be getting a local brew. We like to have a local brew at every port. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1