November TA includes Morocco.

jonthomas

O may cancel the port. But if not, would anyone   hesitate doing a ships tour in Casablanca...including the market?

There are state department warnings but nothing specific yet.

We have been before and would very much like to stop again. Will see what everyone says.

At this point they have a worldwide alert out. In looking at their twitter feed I see nothing regarding Morocco as they do with other countries. So……I would probably just continue to monitor the situation a bit longer before making a decision. If a ship excursion you still have time to cancel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been to Casblanca several times (and to Marrakesh too) mostly for my work but once on a Riviera TA cruise.  We took the excursion to Rabat which I highly recommend.

The Moroccans have reasonably tight police control and since much of their economy depends on tourism they do not want to hit the headlines with a terrorist attack.   I always have felt safe in Morocco.  I have friends who own property there and they feel safe too.   But if necessary and if things don't look good Oceania will cancel the port.  They do not want to put their passengers' lives in danger AND they don't want to risk that huge chunk of investment which is a cruise ship!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, jonthomas said:

O may cancel the port. But if not, would anyone   hesitate doing a ships tour in Casablanca...including the market?

There are state department warnings but nothing specific yet.

We have been before and would very much like to stop again. Will see what everyone says.

Hello my friend from Regatta Alaska,

We took a transatlantic on Viking in December 2022.  We had a port day in Casablanca. We took the included excursion, a coach tour which included about 2 somewhat notables sites. Also stopped at the Hassan II mosque, but we were not allowed to go in.  Very impressive for its size alone.

Last stop was at the UN square. Billed as the Paris of Morocco, for its architectural resemblance. Once there, we were encouraged to go into a "Government Store".  In my opinion, it was just another store selling way, way overpriced souvenirs and other goods, including inferior quality leather goods at huge markups, compared to leather goods prices in Spain.

Coincidentally, all Viking included tour excursions stopped at this same store.  All the guides were sitting in a nearby cafe, waiting for their group to finish its purchases.  Also, in my opinion, the guides were waiting for... You can fill in the rest.

I am hoping Oceania uses a better port facility. Viking docked at a commercial port, where we had to walk what seemed like about a half mile to the terminal building, where groups would meet the tour coaches.

I am also hoping Oceania would provide a shuttle bus to the terminal, as Viking said they were unable to do this.  Recall that Viking said it was a port restriction. Felt sorry for those with mobility issues, as it also was a very hot day.

While we felt relatively safe during the tour, we would not want to stay in the city on our own.  Very gritty, had broken sidewalks, and did not seem to be a friendly place.  Again, just my opinion.  We much preferred to visit European cities.

As a side note, there was a guy accompanying us on our coach.  I didn't know what the reason for his presence was, so I asked our guide.  I suspected he was Private security. The guide told me he was a mechanic in case the coach broke down.  The coach was quite nice and not very old. 

Wishing you and spouse JT a most pleasant journey.

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity

Good to see you Feta..

We will be on the Marina, TA, in November.

In Morocco, Casablanca, we have a 4 hour ships tour, which includes the market.

We have been to Casablanca before and loved it, especially the market. Now with what is going on in the world, I am somewhat more nervous, especially the market. 

Hey, hope to see you on another O cruise. We only do O now.

Edited by jonthomas
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Good to see you Feta..

We will be on the Marina, TA, in November.

In Morocco, Casablanca, we have a 4 hour ships tour, which includes the market.

We have been to Casablanca before and loved it, especially the market. Now with what is going on in the world, I am somewhat more nervous, especially the market. 

Hey, hope to see you on another O cruise. We only do O now.

Yes, I purchased a Future Cruise Certificate while onboard.  No plan yet.

Nothing was said about the market on port talk, nor did any other pax mention it.  I like going to markets, and supermarkets on our journeys.  You will find me in the cheese section!

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

Not sure if it's still offered, but we did a ship's tour in Casablanca that was a culinary tour, so we went to the fish/vegetable market and a separate olive market with the chef instructor, then came back to the ship to make a dish in the culinary center. Well worthwhile, and also had some sightseeing

We are on your sailing. 

We have been monitoring the ongoing very large protests

I just read the travel advisories for Canada and USA. 

Last night extensive bombing in Gaza took place

Morocco is currently the chair of the Arab League which puts

them in a delicate position. towards westerners,

more than they have ever experienced before.

We are unable to play grey man……at all. 

Because of the above we have sadly decided to 

cancel our shore excursion and remain on the ship!   

On 10/28/2023 at 9:43 AM, latitude 22 said:

We are on your sailing. 

We have been monitoring the ongoing very large protests

I just read the travel advisories for Canada and USA. 

Last night extensive bombing in Gaza took place

Morocco is currently the chair of the Arab League which puts

them in a delicate position. towards westerners,

more than they have ever experienced before.

We are unable to play grey man……at all. 

Because of the above we have sadly decided to 

cancel our shore excursion and remain on the ship!   

Yes we will do the same.