Second Brisbane terminal??

bazzaw

There seems to be an article in the Brisbane Courier Mail regarding this possibility - but I can't read it due to the newspapers firewall. "Pie in the sky" or a real possibility?. I must say that I was VERY impressed with the current Brisbane terminal at our one and only use of it - especially for embarkation. It is a long way form nowhere and the road is abysmal  and there was a strong odour from the adjacent "water treatment plant" on our return (none on embarkation day). Can't say the disembarkation was as good - and I remembered that we should try to self disembark in future. Of course wife and I have no need really to get off the ship ASAP but what does one do with oneself while waiting around onboard the ship. ?? What does everyone else do?? 

We choose the latest departure time set - but they always allocate us to the first group of that set which is usually 9am. However that time is the earliest you can disembark not the time you have to off by. 😀

We leave our cabin by 8am as requested, then go to the MDR for a leisurely breakfast. Usually by the time we've finished breakfast, and had a final comfort stop, our disembarkation group time has passed so we can just wander straight off the ship. Usually the queues have eased a bit by then. Of course we don't leave it so late that we're last off, usually they are still calling the last few groups in our time set.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We choose the latest departure time set - but they always allocate us to the first group of that set which is usually 9am. However that time is the earliest you can disembark not the time you have to off by. 😀

We leave our cabin by 8am as requested, then go to the MDR for a leisurely breakfast. Usually by the time we've finished breakfast, and had a final comfort stop, our disembarkation group time has passed so we can just wander straight off the ship. Usually the queues have eased a bit by then. Of course we don't leave it so late that we're last off, usually they are still calling the last few groups in our time set.

We were last off a ship once, with the announcement for all who are still on board to leave.  We had a big balcony overlooking the Opera House and the busy ferries, which we wanted to enjoy as long as possible.  

We are happy to be close to last on board as well.  On my last cruise in Brisbane, I was in last grouping on board with excellent service all the way. 

5 hours ago, bazzaw said:

There seems to be an article in the Brisbane Courier Mail regarding this possibility - but I can't read it due to the newspapers firewall. "Pie in the sky" or a real possibility?. I must say that I was VERY impressed with the current Brisbane terminal at our one and only use of it - especially for embarkation. It is a long way form nowhere and the road is abysmal  and there was a strong odour from the adjacent "water treatment plant" on our return (none on embarkation day). Can't say the disembarkation was as good - and I remembered that we should try to self disembark in future. Of course wife and I have no need really to get off the ship ASAP but what does one do with oneself while waiting around onboard the ship. ?? What does everyone else do?? 

Disembarking for us in Brisbane usually means flying home on a PM flight, so we just book the ships' airport shuttle and work out our day around the meeting time & place.

For Sydney, we are happy not to be rushing off. We will keep our cabins as long as they will let us. That usually means a leisurely breakfast, then back to the room to pack our remaining bits and stroll off when we are ready. There are plenty rushing for AM flights, or even going straight to work, so we are happy to stand back. Once we have vacated our cabins, I am not a fan of waiting around in a designated lounge, so we try to have a disembark time that will fit in with that. If the allocated time is too late for us, we politely ask for for an earlier slot at the pursers desk. Disembark time is purely about your luggage being in the terminal. When they announce your disembark slot, it is already confirmed as being there. Given that it will take you 15 minutes (Brisbane) to walk to it, keep an ear out for the slot that is two groups ahead of you, and stroll off then. By the time you get there, it is sure to be there.

As for a 2nd terminal - one day I guess. It will be in an inconvenient location like the current one. Portside has been repurposed, and anything on the city side of the Gateway bridge is unlikely due to the turning basin that would be needed. A 2nd one would need to be put where there is spare wharf space somewhere in Pinkenba, Lytton or Fishermans Island. I am sure the day-visit ships would love the option of a berth at Mooloolaba, which would free-up BICT a bit.

8 hours ago, bazzaw said:

There seems to be an article in the Brisbane Courier Mail

The same Curious-Snail that rubbished the BICT as a white elephant all through covid, now suggests we need more capacity. 🤥

I don't know where it could be sited. The obvious answer (if the C-M is not just trolling) would be to expand the existing BICT upstream, where Port North is now. That would require moving the fuel offloading facilities that feed the storage tanks on Bulwer Island. I don't really see that happening.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bazzaw said:

We usually just have a book handy or watch the passing parade. Although on our last cruise, for the very first time, we had priority disembarkation so we just got off when we felt like it. That was pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Our next cruise is a 3 night "Seacation" on the Coral Princess. 
This time we would prefer to be off the ship rather promptly but I’m guessing that most passengers will carry their own luggage off seeing as it’s such a short cruise. At least we won’t have to go through customs and immigration which can sometimes cause a bottleneck. 
On second thought getting off earlier mightn’t achieve anything as we’d have to contend with peak hour traffic as we head South. 🤔

I don't believe there is any intention to build a second BICT in the river, as previously said, the river does not have suitable areas to turn the new larger ships, that's why the BICT is located where it is now. 

There was and I assume still is, a plan to extend the BICT dock facilities to cater for two ships to dock at the same time. I don't know but would not be surprised if it could be extended to handle three ships if they needed it.

Can't imagine it happening, the 3rd ship I mean.

As far as disembarking, we just got of the Encounter from a seven day cruise, and it was a breeze.

They said, be down at Luke's by x time, we arrived at the appointed time 5 minutes later they marched us off the ship, found our bags waiting, ushered us straight past an immigration officer long enough to hand him our port entry cards, marched straight on and out into the car park.

Could not have been smoother. If we blinked we would have missed it.😄

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I don't believe there is any intention to build a second BICT in the river, as previously said, the river does not have suitable areas to turn the new larger ships, that's why the BICT is located where it is now. 

There was and I assume still is, a plan to extend the BICT dock facilities to cater for two ships to dock at the same time. I don't know but would not be surprised if it could be extended to handle three ships if they needed it…

It’s a shame that the terminal isn’t utilised 365 days a year. Surely that would be better than extending it to accommodate two or even three ships

The cruise lines still em to operate within the American paradigm of Summer=Vacation. This is not necessarily true is Australia, particularly with our mandated 4 weeks paid annual leave. Besides I’d much rather cruise to North Queensland, the Northern Territory, PNG, or the Pacific Islands in Winter rather than in mid Summer. There’s also less chance of Cyclones in Winter.

Of course, globally we are a small market and are supplied with cruise ships during the North American off season. 🤷‍♂️
JMHO

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

It’s a shame that the terminal isn’t utilised 365 days a year. Surely that would be better than extending it to accommodate two or even three ships

The cruise lines still em to operate within the American paradigm of Summer=Vacation. This is not necessarily true is Australia, particularly with our mandated 4 weeks paid annual leave. Besides I’d much rather cruise to North Queensland, the Northern Territory, PNG, or the Pacific Islands in Winter rather than in mid Summer. There’s also less chance of Cyclones in Winter.

Of course, globally we are a small market and are supplied with cruise ships during the North American off season. 🤷‍♂️
JMHO

I was asked by an American why there were no cruises from Aust/NZ during their summer.  Why indeed?  Not all Americans want to only cruise in their winter.  Some want to escape the heat of their summer.  Think of all the snowbirds who return north in their summer.  Maybe, if they knew about our cyclone season during their winter, they'd be less likely to cruise from Australia in summer.  The season is until April, with the first cyclone this year in October.  Americans don't cruise in the Caribbean during its hurricane season.

There is an opportunity for other cruise lines, like MSC, Viking etc., to fill the gap of winter/spring cruising north in Australia.  

• Like 2

Yep good points Sparky & Marion, however they would have to make a lot of new ships, and if they were sailing all year in the USA winter why are they down here in their "Off Season".

We do have P&O Aust down here for the winter season, mainly I think because it is an Aussie based company branch of Carnival.

I think maybe it the population down here that is believed to small to support all year cruising, and the fact cruising down south in winter can be a little rough, (Well probably a bit more than a little😁).

And although we enjoyed our trip up to Cairns, its not a wow lets do it again next month type of place.

Any other ventures as many people have pointed out, requires lot of sea days, to get there, mind you I don't mind sea days, but they do seem to put a lot of people off.

If they could be convinced to run a series 21 to 30  days cruises during the Aussie winter we certainly be interest, but I do like to get away from the Queensland humidity in summer too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Yep good points Sparky & Marion, however they would have to make a lot of new ships, and if they were sailing all year in the USA winter why are they down here in their "Off Season".

We do have P&O Aust down here for the winter season, mainly I think because it is an Aussie based company branch of Carnival.

I think maybe it the population down here that is believed to small to support all year cruising, and the fact cruising down south in winter can be a little rough, (Well probably a bit more than a little😁).

And although we enjoyed our trip up to Cairns, its not a wow lets do it again next month type of place.

Any other ventures as many people have pointed out, requires lot of sea days, to get there, mind you I don't mind sea days, but they do seem to put a lot of people off.

If they could be convinced to run a series 21 to 30  days cruises during the Aussie winter we certainly be interest, but I do like to get away from the Queensland humidity in summer too.

One option would be for Aussies to fly to NZ or Fiji and round trip on medium size ships and cruise from there.  

I'm not as keen on long haul flights overseas to join cruises there as I used to be.  My daughter is flying Qatar Airlines next month to NY and is worried about the current situation. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

One option would be for Aussies to fly to NZ or Fiji and round trip on medium size ships and cruise from there.  

I'm not as keen on long haul flights overseas to join cruises there as I used to be.  My daughter is flying Qatar Airlines next month to NY and is worried about the current situation. 

The only part of flying I don't like, is the bit between the wheels leaving the ground and returning to the ground, hopefully on purpose!!!

• Haha 5

I don't think NY would be an issue unless she goes to the UN building.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I don't think NY would be an issue unless she goes to the UN building.

She has a stopover in Qatar.  I had the same stopover in the past, when Qatar was being excluded by other Arab Countries, so I understand her concern. 

She has a stopover in Qatar.  I had the same stopover in the past, when Qatar was being excluded by other Arab Countries, so I understand her concern. 

Going the long way around. Yes I would be concerned too.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

The only part of flying I don't like, is the bit between the wheels leaving the ground and returning to the ground, hopefully on purpose!!!

The part of flying that I don’t like is paying for it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Princess used to keep an extra ship down here over winter, mostly doing Top End cruises, PNG cruises, etc. We did a Top End cruise on Dawn Princess in August 2015, and a PNG cruise in September 2016. Great weather for both cruises. However once Golden went to P&O they stopped having the extra ship wintering over. 😪

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess used to keep an extra ship down here over winter, mostly doing Top End cruises, PNG cruises, etc. We did a Top End cruise on Dawn Princess in August 2015, and a PNG cruise in September 2016. Great weather for both cruises. However once Golden went to P&O they stopped having the extra ship wintering over. 😪

We sailed on the Coral Princess out of Brisbane at the end of June last year. 

13 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We sailed on the Coral Princess out of Brisbane at the end of June last year. 

A bit of a one-off season to be here locally, because it was covidly impossible to do a world cruise. It would be awesome for them to find a spare ship to stay and do local cruises over the winter months.

Those past days were good with a Princess ship doing some local cruising in & around 35 night Hawaiian and Pacific/Indian ocean circle cruises. Plenty of 14 night Fiji itineraries during the winter were great.

P&O does operate two ships in Australia over the winter months, plus another in NZ. While they are struggling to fill them, they are not about to add competing brands to the market. Future port bookings show Carnival basing a full time ship in Brisbane in 2025. That was their initial plan for Spirit when BICT was originally scheduled to open in 2020.

For Royal I am not so sure. If Lelepa is an ongoing concern, they are being very quiet about it.

• Like 1