Are we back to three evening dress codes again?

cruisestitch

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Guessing NMTraveller was perfectly aware, lol. But in some parts of the US where polo isn't played, they are referred to as golf shirts.

Nope.  I wear a totally different shirt for golf than I do for polo.  The polo shirt has a team name and a number 1 to 4.  The golf shirts do not have any of this.

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What about the people that are not following the rules?  What happened to no shirt no service?

They should be dealt with of course. I was speaking only of part of the situation where some would be more comfortable on Cunard, unless they have relaxed their dress code. Have seen comments like the slobs have one lol. 

14 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

In case they only travel in the minions cabins 😁

IMG_6911.thumb.png.5c451401efff943242a9602484fb4ee3.png

Used to get my Polos at Kohls for less the 5$ on sale, name brands, and now that we shop Costco, many of my evening chic work outfits run under 20$ total for pants, shoes, shirt, and maybe even throw in the socks at that price. I get going to places like goodwill, but you can get great deals on new clothes at stores as long as you don't mind shopping the clearance aisle.

That said during the colder months, I will wear a company gift hoodie to stay warm as our offices are in a pole building, so always drafty. So if they gift them to us, they are ok with hoodies at work:)

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 2

I didn’t grow up wearing polo shirts.  That was for rich people in the next town over.  Yes they played polo.   I wore a dress shirt to church.  If I travel and there is a dress code I wear what they tell me.

When I asked my husband to pack a jacket and tie to have lunch at the Ritz, he said no.  So we don’t go.  Just like on the ship.  I’ll get over it.  

I don’t need to be a rebel by walking in wearing a tshirt or ripped jeans to show my individuality.  Some restaurants are trying to create a nice environment for everyone.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I didn’t grow up wearing polo shirts.  That was for rich people in the next town over.  Yes they played polo.   I wore a dress shirt to church.  If I travel and there is a dress code I wear what they tell me.

When I asked my husband to pack a jacket and tie to have lunch at the Ritz, he said no.  So we don’t go.  Just like on the ship.  I’ll get over it.  

I don’t need to be a rebel by walking in wearing a tshirt or ripped jeans to show my individuality.  Some restaurants are trying to create a nice environment for everyone.  

That weird not having a polo sheet growing up , because they were always cheap in the ‘60’s 

22 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Used to get my Polos at Kohls for less the 5$ on sale, name brands, and now that we shop Costco, many of my evening chic work outfits run under 20$ total for pants, shoes, shirt, and maybe even throw in the socks at that price. I get going to places like goodwill, but you can get great deals on new clothes at stores as long as you don't mind shopping the clearance aisle.

That said during the colder months, I will wear a company gift hoodie to stay warm as our offices are in a pole building, so always drafty. So if they gift them to us, they are ok with hoodies at work:)

I actually don’t buy at Costco as the shirts don’t come in tall sizes 😁

Dont even ask about buying shoes off the shelf anymore , 13.5 wide 

i find scrolling stores websites when they have having clearance sales is my best bet , just need to make sure they have free returns 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have seen people walking around in the OVC without a shirt.  No enforcement ...

10 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I glad I we mostly travel on transatlantic cruise probably a much different client on those cruise compared to Caribbean cruises 

We have sailed Disney and Royal along with Celebrity and Hal and have never seen that before. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I guess someone in the pool wants a desert, they just head into the buffet, not thinking of how they are dressed. Kind of an issue with how the buffets are always right off the pool deck, it is surprising it doesn't happen all of the time, especially on the family friendly lines.

We were somewhat guilty of this on our last trip on the Edge. We were on at the height of the food cutbacks and after a swim in the solarium pool, my wife decided to check out how bad the buffet was. I did second guess the decision, but like a good husband went with. We walked around the few offerings they had (being gluten free it wasn't and option for me, and she did grab a desert on the way out, did not eat it in the buffet area. I did have swim trunks and a tshirt on and she had a swimsuit and coverup on. The intent was scoping out the buffet to report back on our trip report, but we probably broke some rules just walking in there.

56 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I glad I we mostly travel on transatlantic cruise probably a much different client on those cruise compared to Caribbean cruises 

This was for an Asia cruise...  I think that it has to do with the pool being right next door...  And Celebrity not enforcing their own rules ...

Edited by NMTraveller

19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Ocean View Cafe.  The buffet ...

I must admit you do see some hideous sights in there, especially at breakfast or lunch time.

But to be fair, the hideousness wouldnt improve much if they were wearing a Tux.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I have seen people walking around in the OVC without a shirt.  No enforcement ...

You have some bad luck on your cruises NMT, you experience things that we luckily have never! Have you seen this often or a one off? A bit like the kids you see running riots in corridors, we’ve been lucky enough not to see that either. Let us know if you book any further cruises, we will avoid them as you seem to attract bad behaviour 😁

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, C4HCG said:

You have some bad luck on your cruises NMT, you experience things that we luckily have never! Have you seen this often or a one off? A bit like the kids you see running riots in corridors, we’ve been lucky enough not to see that either. Let us know if you book any further cruises, we will avoid them as you seem to attract bad behaviour 😁

Have you been on a holiday cruise lately?  More kids ...

On 2/27/2024 at 4:02 AM, DarrenM said:

My kind of dress code.

There will be some furious with you though. You just have to laugh at them.

I'm happy to report that there were no (outward, at least) people angry with us for our dress.  In fact, we saw a few guests doing the "walk of shame"- being asked leave in order to change out of their shorts.  This happened in Tuscan and Cosmopolitan.  My 18 year old son was grumpy the first couple of nights when wearing his long pants (the HORROR!) but he just changed as soon as dinner was over.  And he wore his (nice- Rainbow brand) flip flops to dinner without incident.  All was good!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sunshinegirl89 said:

I'm happy to report that there were no (outward, at least) people angry with us for our dress.  In fact, we saw a few guests doing the "walk of shame"- being asked leave in order to change out of their shorts.  This happened in Tuscan and Cosmopolitan.  My 18 year old son was grumpy the first couple of nights when wearing his long pants (the HORROR!) but he just changed as soon as dinner was over.  And he wore his (nice- Rainbow brand) flip flops to dinner without incident.  All was good!

Do you mind expanding on this, were they told to change at the host stand or after they sat down?

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Do you mind expanding on this, were they told to change at the host stand or after they sat down?

I'm not sure.  We just saw 2 people (both young adult males, but not the same person) exiting the restaurant wearing shorts then re-entering a few minutes later wearing pants.  Not sure who spoke to them or what was said, but they definitely changed clothing. 

• Thanks 1

My mother’s boyfriend was told while waiting in line for dinner shorts were not permitted in the MDR on NCL in 2019. He made a big fuss about it and went to change. I slowly backed away embarrassed to be associated. No someone wearing shorts doesn’t bother me one bit but if a dress code specially states (and at the time it was in print that shorts were not permitted) otherwise then it’s just kind of disrespectful. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Shellyd22 said:

My mother’s boyfriend was told while waiting in line for dinner shorts were not permitted in the MDR on NCL in 2019. He made a big fuss about it and went to change. I slowly backed away embarrassed to be associated. No someone wearing shorts doesn’t bother me one bit but if a dress code specially states (and at the time it was in print that shorts were not permitted) otherwise then it’s just kind of disrespectful. 

And that's basically it. Disrespectful to US, his fellow diners, not to the long-suffering staff. I wrote elsewhere about the time, on a Royal cruise, all the other men at our table for 12 were in in tuxes or dark suits. The guy at the end of the table (or head of it) waltzed in dressed in a sloppy, sleazy shiny oversized tee shirt with the front of a tux printed on it. Good one, pal--but I'd think for all the money you kept bragging about having, as a lawyer with your big fancy house, etc., you could afford to rent a monkey suit. Or just wear what you typically do in court? Meanwhile, his surgically-enhanced wife was dripping in diamonds and silk... It just felt like a big "eff you" to all of us who had taken the trouble to look nice. Super offensive. Just go to the buffet if you can't be bothered.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Haha 1

And it goes both ways with some about the dress suggestions. 🙄 March 2017, Jewel Of the Seas, third night, second leg of our B2B cruise. We decided to dress formally on a suggested casual dress evening. Celebrating a special occasion. As we were entering the MDR for MTD reservation I heard a loud mouth lady behind us say, "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight in the restaurant". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whoever he was) and said, “no I didn't read the Cruise Compass in your cabin suggesting the even dress in the MDR. What did it say"!? They both just stood there like slugs.  I then gave both of them a big smile while shaking my head. Turned back around and entered the MDR. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other, my wife also added she was glad I didn’t drop the F-bomb on them. We then both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1