Crystal Caves

irie0518

45 minutes ago, irie0518 said:

Just wondering if we can just show up at the caves and get a tour or is this something that needs to be arranged in advance?  TIA.

You can just show up but they are recommending reservations. If you don’t reserve you might waiting 45 minutes or so to get in.

Edited by Charles4515

• 5 months later...
On 10/30/2023 at 12:00 PM, sebas030 said:

But it is worth it, the cave ( crystal ) is beautiful.

Hi!  Since it appears you have been, I am hoping you can answer something for me.  I keep seeing descriptions of 88 stairs "down", but nothing about getting back up. Do you go back up the stairs, or is there another exit?  TYIA!  

16 minutes ago, Qchell said:

Hi!  Since it appears you have been, I am hoping you can answer something for me.  I keep seeing descriptions of 88 stairs "down", but nothing about getting back up. Do you go back up the stairs, or is there another exit?  TYIA!  

You have to go back up the same stairs you went down. There is no other exit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Qchell said:

Yes, went a few times already.

Same way in and out. No place to rest, stair is not large, not narrow but there is always a line of people going down and if you stop going up there is no space for someone to pass you on their way up unless the queue going down stops to make room for the "passer".

But the cave is worth it IMO

Plenty of videos on YT showing the stairs and what the cave looks like.

Have fun in Bermuda !

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Can someone that has visited the caves elaborate on the experience? We have visited a few different caves in the Eastern US and wondering if this is a similar or different experience?

Trying to figure out if we should spend time underground when we could be taking advantage of Bermuda above ground!

Edited by minniemouse427

14 minutes ago, minniemouse427 said:

Can someone that has visited the caves elaborate on the experience? We have visited a few different caves in the Eastern US and wondering if this is a similar or different experience?

Trying to figure out if we should spend time underground when we could be taking advantage of Bermuda above ground!

If you have been to caves in Kentucky you might be underwhelmed. Much smaller than east coast caves. I was but Crystal Cave is small and interesting. The tour guides provide good stories. Fantasy Cave is pretty meh in my opinion. You don't have to do both. 

7 hours ago, minniemouse427 said:

As someone who hasn’t been in a lot of caves, I thought the Crystal Caves were pretty cool. 

if it matters, most if not all of the time you’re in the cave you’re on a catwalk above the water. 

59 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

The stones going down and back up can be slippery.

Laura

I think you meant stairs. I think people will be okay with sneakers with rubber soles. Flip flops might be problematic. If anyone gets claustrophobic they might want to skip. Really though the only people I would advise to not do the caves are people with knee or hip problems. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If you have been to caves in Kentucky you might be underwhelmed. Much smaller than east coast caves. I was but Crystal Cave is small and interesting. The tour guides provide good stories. Fantasy Cave is pretty meh in my opinion. You don't have to do both. 

We have visited Luray Caverns in VA and Crystal Caves in PA as well as a few other random ones. 

Thank you, this is good information and I will bring it back to the family. I am guessing they will vote to not visit it in lieu of other more interesting places, but who knows!

Edited by minniemouse427

Do you get to walk down in the caves at your own leisure, or is it guided tour groups only?

Not a big fan of guided tours....I always feel like Pee-Wee Herman on his excruciating Alamo tour.

Going back up was difficult for me. I won't be doing these caves again.

The steps (for me) were steep and I felt like I had to be really careful going back up. I went there several years ago and have a cruise to Bermuda at the end of this month. I won't be going back to these caves.

1 hour ago, anastasia3939 said:

Do you get to walk down in the caves at your own leisure, or is it guided tour groups only?

Not a big fan of guided tours....I always feel like Pee-Wee Herman on his excruciating Alamo tour.

It is in guided groups only. Both caves are small so there is a limit to the number who can go in. It is only about 20 minutes so not excruciating. They are recommending making reservations.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Going back up was difficult for me. I won't be doing these caves again.

The steps (for me) were steep and I felt like I had to be really careful going back up. I went there several years ago and have a cruise to Bermuda at the end of this month. I won't be going back to these caves.

That is why I have been mentioning the steps in the many threads that ask about the caves. I went a second time to see Fantasy cave which had been closed the first time I went. I got to do Crystal again because people were bailing and someone who bailed gave me their ticket. Anyone who has mobility issues should not do the caves but most people can do them. It is a moderate activity, not extreme. I could still do them although I see no reason to do either again. 

Edited by Charles4515

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is why I have been mentioning the steps in the many threads that ask about the caves. I went a second time to see Fantasy cave which had been closed the first time I went. I got to do Crystal again because people were bailing and someone who bailed gave me their ticket. Anyone who has mobility issues should not do the caves but most people can do them. It is a moderate activity, not extreme. I could still do them although I see no reason to do either again. 

We are all different and although I don't have mobility issues in general, I remember the walk back up and for me? It was hard and I was needing to sit down as soon as I got outside. So it was bordering on extreme for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2024 at 3:43 PM, minniemouse427 said:

To me, it was rather boring after visiting larger cave in Eastern US (Howe's Caverns in NY).  It's way smaller, very crowded at times, and in the summer, it's like a sauna in there given high humidity levels, hence the slippery stairs.  Yes, wear sneakers and watch your step(s).

On 5/19/2024 at 2:35 PM, JGmf said:

To me, it was rather boring after visiting larger cave in Eastern US (Howe's Caverns in NY).  It's way smaller, very crowded at times, and in the summer, it's like a sauna in there given high humidity levels, hence the slippery stairs.  Yes, wear sneakers and watch your step(s).

ever been to luray caverns. will be near there in a month and looking forward to going. unsure big they are compared to bermuda.

also we have a 'crystal cave' near where i live and it's not that big but it's cool.