Water bottles

Bluesmama

1 hour ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I guess staff are trying to supplement their income, most plastic bottle and cans come with a deposit in The Netherlands!!

Same with Canada. Most plastic is recyclable, including that used to make water bottles, and is converted into all sorts of things.

https://recyclebc.ca/what-can-i-recycle-2/#1576187830689-9a446819-0c25

Some Canadian cities have banned single use plastic bags (like grocery store bags), and a recent trip to Kenya was an eye opener for us as the whole country has banned plastic bags. Even the duty free plastic bags were confiscated at the airport customs desk.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Wow, you read an awful lot into a simple question.

Excuse me.  Some of us are cognizant of what other pollution plastics from cruise ships and cruisers is made than just what is in the ocean...

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 11:14 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

What percent of ocean plastic pollution comes from cruise ships?

Not sure what the significance of a percentage value would be. Probably only a few percent of the total amount of plastic in the oceans, but that is a HUGE number.

One study published by the American Chemical Society estimated that cruise ships’ gray water process, which does discharge treated water into the ocean, may contribute around 100 thousand tons of microplastics each year. That doesn’t actually include single-use water bottles.

acs.est.1c05446

• Thanks 1

I was on the Westerdam recently and saw multiple staff on A deck (while visiting the Medical center) carrying around large, single-use plastic water bottles.  I also saw a pallet of said bottles being moved around.  They don't seem to have a concern for staff using plastic water bottles.

We have not had any water confiscated while boarding when bringing a couple of liters of water on board.  Maybe we were just lucky.

This definitely varies by embarkation port. I had a water bottle aggressively wrested away from me in Boston in June, but no one batted an eye at the water bottle in my backpack in Rotterdam in August. I would imagine domestic homeports will be more attentive to this mission, but abroad things are a little more lax. 

I have never seen crew members confiscate a plastic water bottle when returning to the ship after an excursion, which makes sense. It isn't worth their time or energy to play water bottle police when there are greater security concerns. It seems that HAL has invested most of its energy into preventing the plastic bottles from boarding on the front end (embarkation, not allowing folks to board with flats of water, selling the canned water, etc.) rather than trying to police what passengers bring back to the ship. The latter is more piecemeal and not worth the effort. Besides, as mentioned above, many HAL excursions will also give out plastic water bottles, so it's a little contradictory.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

What percent of ocean plastic pollution comes from cruise ships?

I’ve asked that same question of environmentalists and naturalists on expedition voyages I’ve been on and they are not aware of data regarding the exact numbers / volume / percent, but we should all do our part to reduce the amount, no matter what it is. 

I wonder also what percent of confiscated single use open water and pop bottles actually contained water:  vodka, white rum and gin are clear,  Amber rum looks like ginger ale (sort of). Dark rum could be coke in a plastic coke bottle.  Some folks get pretty inventive with their in cabin libations lol.

• 3 months later...

Most recent HAL rules state that only boxed, canned, or distilled water can be brought on board in limited quantities. My question is...do they inspect the water and open them up? Has anyone ever seen them actually do this? Do they do this on the first day of embarkation when people are wanting to board quickly? Please let me know what you've seen or what you know.....Thanks.

On 10/30/2023 at 5:42 PM, crystalspin said:

You can take your refillable bottle (filled from your tab or the night before in the Lido) OFF the ship. You will have to empty it bringing it back on, lest you fill it with tequila, or rum!

Interesting..we bring our metal reusable bottles with us all the time in port. We have never once been asked to empty it on return to the ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pmjnh said:

Interesting..we bring our metal reusable bottles with us all the time in port. We have never once been asked to empty it on return to the ship.

That was new to me, too; I've not been asked to empty a bottle.

• I just received a complimentary reuseable plastic water bottle from the drug store. I was planning to use it on my cruise and then probably leave it behind in the hotel before I board my plane to come home (space and weight). Even though it is plastic, I should be able to take that onboard the ship with no problems, right?
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:
  • I just received a complimentary reuseable plastic water bottle from the drug store. I was planning to use it on my cruise and then probably leave it behind in the hotel before I board my plane to come home (space and weight). Even though it is plastic, I should be able to take that onboard the ship with no problems, right?

I have not had an issue taking one onboard, as recently as Dec 2023.

Not holland related but last week at the port of San Pedro(Los Angeles), they confiscated all plastic 1 time use bottles and made us dump our water out from the reusable bottles.  She said it could "short" the security scanner, but it didn't seem to be an issue with all of the liquid going through in wine bottles lol.  I assume it is to prevent people bringing booze onboard hidden in bottles. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 4:34 PM, Thetideishigh2021 said:

I wonder also what percent of confiscated single use open water and pop bottles actually contained water:  vodka, white rum and gin are clear,  Amber rum looks like ginger ale (sort of). Dark rum could be coke in a plastic coke bottle.  Some folks get pretty inventive with their in cabin libations lol.

Ours used to, plus we brought real water as well.

1 hour ago, jenp123 said:

Not holland related but last week at the port of San Pedro(Los Angeles), they confiscated all plastic 1 time use bottles and made us dump our water out from the reusable bottles.  She said it could "short" the security scanner, but it didn't seem to be an issue with all of the liquid going through in wine bottles lol.  I assume it is to prevent people bringing booze onboard hidden in bottles. 

They always put their spin on everything.