cococay beach club. Quick review

jean87510

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

jean87510 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

It's my 5th or 6th time to PDCC.  First time in the beach club.  Going to give some positives and just a few negatives

Positives - Staff is very friendly and helpful.  Beach chairs are comfortable.  The towels are perfect.  Absolutely loved the pool and beach area.  Loved little umbrella on chair to get an attendant.  Really appreciated the staff allowing us to peek at an unused over the water cabana.  Drinks were good.  Lots of shaded areas.  Strong wifi signal.  Outdoor showers.  

negatives - absolute worst music playing all day on a loop.  Did not know we had to prepick our lunch reservations times.  Husband did this as a last minute surprise for me so may have been confused.  Our food unfortunately was cold and not good.  Stale brownie, mushy vegetables, and cold steak.  I was shocked.  I was taught at an early age not to send food back as have had people share what staff can do.  So we just went out to get stuff at south beach.  I really was surprised at how bad it was.  Husband's lobster was really tiny and cold as was his steak.  We didn't starve thanks to the fare at south beach.  

I would come again but only if it was $50 pp and no techno music.  Just for the pool and chairs alone.  Definitely not for the food.  Sorry, it was bad.  Appetizers were ok and the carrots plus peppers held me over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's disappointing to hear.  Going next week so I guess I will see.  I heard about making reservation for lunch so I will do that when I get there in the morning.  What time did you get there?  Was it crowded at all. 

1 hour ago, MomtoCCC said:

That's disappointing to hear.  Going next week so I guess I will see.  I heard about making reservation for lunch so I will do that when I get there in the morning.  What time did you get there?  Was it crowded at all. 

We got there about 845 am.  The beds near pool were already taken but are in the direct sun so I wasn't that disappointed.  Not crowded for 2 ships (Allure and Vision).  Our seating was 115pm and I THINK this was the last seating as they were cleaning up while serving us.  A lot of folks left after lunch which was surprising as it really was nice there minus the same techno song playing over and over!  Bring your headphones!  The breakfast pastries looked like the Windjammer fare.  Cucumber water plus coffee for free drinks.  They also had the mats to float included as well.

Like I said I liked it but definitely would not spend that amount again unless $50 pp as you are paying for a chair, a pool, and a specialty dining meal.  

• 2 weeks later...

We splurged on an over the water bungalow on coco cay. I’m really glad because my rheumatoid arthritis is flaring and I need the shade. 

It’s our last day, I guess we have time to find out the procedures. There are two ships there our day, too and three of us wanted to go up in the balloon. 

• Like 1

FWIW, been there twice (once OTW cabana, once beach cabana) and the food was excellent both times. Extended family all loved the filet both times and after the first visit agreed the lobster tail was overrated but the coconut crusted lobster sandwich was very good. Only thing we didn't care for was the dessert... which is no big deal b/c we had our server bring us funnel cakes from the Snack Shack and those are always good.

Service was also excellent both times. We were there a year apart and actually requested our server from the previous year and our request was granted. Don't think he remembered us but we remembered him and his great service.

All that said, I enjoy CocoCay for free and wouldn't pay for the beach club, let alone a cabana (I was treated by a generous family member both times), but we had a great time.

• 3 weeks later...