Saint Greg's Regal Princess - Live - November 12, 2023

Saint Greg

21 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@Saint Greg - similar to you, I was/am a NCL multi-timer who did his first Princess cruise this past June.

From my comparison, here's what I'd look for/take advantage of:

-Take full advantage of the Plus package, which, unlike NCL, gives you bottled water and excellent coffees and espresso (from the International Cafe).  Also, I thought the alcohol selection was far more expansive on Princess, hopefully you find the same.  (Heads up though about the 15 drink p/p daily limit).

-The pizza is WAY better than NCL (even though you said you don't eat much/any of it), even the pies they make on the Lido deck are very good.

-The pool decks are a lot more roomy and comfortable without as many chair hogs and with pools that are bigger.

-The cruise director staff do more interesting and varied game shows.  That 'Yes/No' show is really fun to watch.

-If you gamble, the future comps provided by Princess are more generous and more transparent than NCL.

Have an amazing cruise!

Thank you for pointing this out. I just played this game with Carnival and won't do that again. Let us know how that works out for you @Saint Greg

Bob Trinchero is one of my winemaking heroes. The owner/winemaker of the Sutter Home Winery he focussed on wines made from Zinfandel grapes.  In 1972 he was making a Rose of Zinfandel, when the fermentation unexpectedly stopped leaving leaving significant sugar in his partially fermented wine.  Being a businessman he bottled the batch, but, instead of calling it Zinfandel Rose, he called it White Zinfandel.  He sold every bottle.

Again, being a businessman Trinchero thought he might have a new product idea and started regularly producing high-sugar White Zinfandel.  The emerging American wine consumers loved it.  The only mistake that Trinchero made was that he did not trademark the name.  Dozens of wineries started producing White Zinfandel.

Let me explain why Bob Trinchero is my hero.

In the 1980s wine consumerism boomed in America.  White Zinfandel sales exploded.  Also, though, the new American wine lovers moved beyond White Zinfandel to investigate wines made from other grapes.  The easy thing to like was a white wine.  Sure enough by the late 1980s Chardonnay emerged to challenge White Zinfandel.  In the 1990s Merlot emerged as America’s favorite red wine.

These changes did not go unnoticed farther up the supply chain—to invoke popular nomenclature.  Acres and acres of vineyards were replanted to Chardonnay or Merlot.  Less popular grape varieties—e.g., Carignan, Chenin Blanc, Colombard—were taken out of production.  While I am sure that some Zinfandel vines were replaced, the continuing popularity of White Zinfandel meant that vineyardists could profitably grow Zinfandel.

Many of these old vine Zinfandel vineyards were originally planted in the final decades of the 19th Century and the early decades of the 20th Century.  Today, outstanding winemakers such as Mike Officer, Joel Peterson, and Morgan Twain-Peterson are producing world class Zinfandel wines—many from these historic old vine vineyards.

So, thank you, Bob Trinchero.  I am happy to toast you with a glass of Sutter Home White Zinfandel.  Of course, I’ll then follow that with some Carlisle Winery Pagani Ranch Zinfandel.

😊

• Like 5

Princess has come up in the world of cruising! My last cruise on Princess was the Love Boat in the 70’s  right out of high school! IK long time ago! 
As for wine I sell my grapes to Caymus so I get a pretty good deal😁

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, vettprincess said:

Yes, but he lost the first games for them but now doing good. Time will tell how it works out. 

He has a higher QBR than Carr this season so I wouldn’t say we have an advantage at QB.

IMG_5900.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Gonna be watching my saints game in this line it seems…

IMG_5842.jpeg

With the way they are playing and that line I’d say you are in for a bummer of a time! Thankfully, you have something wonderful to look forward too.

• Like 1