LIVE - Ruby Princess, Nov 6 - 20, 14-day Circle Caribbean

aring75

Stopped by Vines last night because I thought I’d try to get my wine in a “better” glass. The bartender there said he could only give me a small glass if I was leaving the area. I would not be allowed to take the larger glass to the dining room. 

On a more positive note, they really do give a generous pour even though the glasses are small. I would just really prefer the larger globe for the red wines (especially).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Lovely day in Guadeloupe today - did a private excursion (in german) and it took us to the rain forest & waterfall, scenic stops along the coast, the black and white cemetery and then some time at the beach with rum & sandwiches 

def don’t plan on exploring the city on your own as it’s not the nicest, but the island is def beautiful- and also more a „book before“ kind of places compared to St. Kitt

also we arrived an hour before schedule - def not good for everyone who wanted to enjoy the scenery coming in, but loved the announcement from the captain so far (noon, departure and arrival announcement from the bridge) 

coming back no passport was needed, security was done in the terminal - and speaking a bit of French „bonjour“ instead of hello went a long way with the staff 

IMG_2906.thumb.jpeg.eff5f188b9a98e74a2d49c73d543291f.jpegIMG_2906.thumb.jpeg.eff5f188b9a98e74a2d49c73d543291f.jpegIMG_2922.thumb.jpeg.c384c17c3f4cfea3533e91d8a423ee8a.jpegIMG_2954.thumb.jpeg.bfa80f9b7e91c8ab163ba3ff12d14ea2.jpegIMG_2957.thumb.jpeg.4d83d45e328915cfe879d6b9553ad367.jpegIMG_2970.thumb.jpeg.e044641059c38dbfd65949b883e52752.jpegIMG_2980.thumb.jpeg.5bcf37968c7c7f182eb1967ed3e76bbc.jpegIMG_2992.thumb.jpeg.59e707984c518ad40b5b12201bbc18d8.jpegIMG_3010.thumb.jpeg.cb1fb6ec9d8564f9a5766ae9898136ff.jpegIMG_3013.thumb.jpeg.5242fcc42019ea2f0d0b9ffc4caf9439.jpegIMG_3018.thumb.jpeg.911c9dde5818aeacdc204d1c42998dbf.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

Edited by schnapperin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Slightly annoyed that they only show you the standard general menu in the bars - really love some of the staff at Good Spirits at sea, one is just slightly rude (asking for a Negroni with sparkling wine instead of gin and was told they would need to charge two drinks (wouldn’t mind that but there is nothing different)) also seems always announced when one asked for one of the more work intensive cocktails 

Edited by schnapperin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, schnapperin said:

Slightly announced that they only show you the standard general menu in the bars - really love some of the staff at Good Spirits at sea, one is just slightly rude (asking for a Negroni with sparkling wine instead of gin and was told they would need to charge two drinks (wouldn’t mind that but there is nothing different)) also seems always announced when one asked for one of the more work intensive cocktails 

By announced, do you mean annoyed? Stupid "spellcheck" lol.

2 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

By announced, do you mean annoyed? Stupid "spellcheck" lol.

yes thanks for pointing it out!

again everyone is back on the ship on time, really nice that we aren’t delayed (captain just announcing departure and who is doing the maneuvers, so nice that he is pointing out his team)

Edited by schnapperin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aring75 said:

Stopped by Vines last night because I thought I’d try to get my wine in a “better” glass. The bartender there said he could only give me a small glass if I was leaving the area. I would not be allowed to take the larger glass to the dining room. 

______

This has been a regular policy for many years. Unfortunately, Vines had to implement this policy because many pax never returned those expensive glasses and took them to their cabin.

25 minutes ago, schnapperin said:

one is just slightly rude (asking for a Negroni with sparkling wine instead of gin and was told they would need to charge two drinks (wouldn’t mind that but there is nothing different))

Again, this has been old policy -- I like to order Vodka Negroni and the Bar always charged for 2 drinks!

Edited by sultan_sfo

3 minutes ago, schnapperin said:

totally get it if I want an limoncello spritz - but to change out the gin for sparkling wine which I can order upstairs to be charged two drinks? That’s slightly annoying (but will simply head upstairs from now on) 

I meant Vodka Negroni (changed my reply).

2 hours ago, schnapperin said:

Slightly annoyed that they only show you the standard general menu in the bars - really love some of the staff at Good Spirits at sea, one is just slightly rude (asking for a Negroni with sparkling wine instead of gin and was told they would need to charge two drinks (wouldn’t mind that but there is nothing different)) also seems always announced when one asked for one of the more work intensive cocktails 

We have been told that before as well. Just comes down to poor training and lazy bartender. We spoke to the bar manager and it was straightened out in 5 minutes

• Like 1

Thank you for doing this live from the Ruby.  I'm glad your dinning issues got better. 

Is the library still there? Can you still donate your finished books?

Are they doing the Wake Wake show in AM on the TV?

A comment on folks playing games at the buffet tables. My group would love to play games in the card room but those tables & chairs tend to be bolted to the deck and you can't sit more than 4 people at a table plus it's not has close to the ship bars.  Of course, there are other places they could play. 

• Like 1

My hubby loves a good steam room/sauna but if I am understanding correctly, there is not a free steam room/sauna option any longer? How would we go about using the steam room/sauna; do we buy a daily pass or can we buy a pass for the cruise? Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

Loving this report!!

2 hours ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Is the library still there? Can you still donate your finished books?

Yes. The library is on deck 7 just outside of the Wheelhouse Bar. I’ll try to remember to stop by and check about donating books. 

We both tried the short rib, and while Mark’s was pretty good, mine was tough and difficult to eat. 

IMG_2411.thumb.jpeg.39169dac5f77f73c4afa9fe47e407e08.jpeg

Our waiter brought the scallop and chorizo dish (to try) without us even asking, so I think there may have been a few dishes like mine. The polenta and chorizo were both great, but the scallops were just okay. 

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.2cedcca7ede03bdd041b29786854e05c.jpeg

• Like 6

Dessert!

IMG_2413.thumb.jpeg.226fdeaa64d6fdaf0218d649eb70985c.jpeg

Mark got the apple pie and even let me taste a bite. It was good. 

IMG_2414.thumb.jpeg.f04c7f84ee202516a4e2c9f54c318e0a.jpeg

I got the white chocolate mocha tart and it was good, but a little heavier than I expected. 

IMG_2416.thumb.jpeg.af6a740a778d47a815653025c46b9ef9.jpeg

Mark and Edgar (our waiter) had a conversation about cheesecake last night and so Edgar brought a piece of cheesecake as well. I was too stuffed to try it, but Mark said it was still as good as he remembered. 

IMG_2415.thumb.jpeg.8cbaf1c45134c985f9415c391c457605.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

UPDATE….The Captain has just announced we will miss Martinique “with a heavy heart” due to 25-35 knot winds.

We are currently puttering offshore of Fort de France…and the pilot has disembarked. It’s definitely breezy out there, but calm seas, hardly a whitecap.

Ah well, the adventures of cruising! We will spend the day at sea.

• Like 2