world cruises 2026

dbjhughes

25 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Can she go through the old locks ? 

2 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Not the old ones, but the new ones are wide enough for her. However, the question then becomes getting her under the bridge that is after.

Yes, indeed. The challenge for QM2 doing a Panama Canal transit is fitting under the Bridge of the Americas. QM2's height from the water line is close to 62 meters. Here is what the Vessel Requirements document found on the Canal de Panamá website has to say about the maximum height for ships to transit the Panama Canal.

"Maximum Height

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of Balboa at any state of the tide is 57.91 meters (190 feet) measured from the waterline to its highest point. With prior permission from the Transit Operations Division Executive Manager, height may be permitted to 62.5 meters (205 feet) on a case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa. Maximum Height Restrictions are due to the tide and the unpredictable upward movement of water from swells, surges, waves, etc., and maintenance equipment suspended beneath the bridge at Balboa."

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, indeed. The challenge for QM2 doing a Panama Canal transit is fitting under the Bridge of the Americas. QM2's height from the water line is close to 62 meters. Here is what the Vessel Requirements document found on the Canal de Panamá website has to say about the maximum height for ships to transit the Panama Canal.

"Maximum Height

The allowable height for any vessel transiting the Canal or entering the Port of Balboa at any state of the tide is 57.91 meters (190 feet) measured from the waterline to its highest point. With prior permission from the Transit Operations Division Executive Manager, height may be permitted to 62.5 meters (205 feet) on a case-by-case basis, with passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa. Maximum Height Restrictions are due to the tide and the unpredictable upward movement of water from swells, surges, waves, etc., and maintenance equipment suspended beneath the bridge at Balboa."

I can only assume that if the itinerary is correct, they've spoken to the authorities. But wow, .5 meters of clearence is cutting it close, and time seems like it would be a big thing to consider too.

29 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

"Maximum Height

Maybe the ongoing Panama drought and lower water levels may be a benefit for QM2’s Panama Canal passage. 

29 minutes ago, NE John said:

Maybe the ongoing Panama drought and lower water levels may be a benefit for QM2’s Panama Canal passage. 

I don't think that figures into the equation since the Bridge of the Americas is at the Pacific entrance to the canal outside all the locks. I would assume the water level under the bridge is the prevailing Pacific Ocean sea level at Balboa, hence the need to time the passage under the bridge at low tide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I don't think that figures into the equation since the Bridge of the Americas is at the Pacific entrance to the canal outside all the locks. I would assume the water level under the bridge is the prevailing Pacific Ocean sea level at Balboa, hence the need to time the passage under the bridge at low tide.

The Bayonne Bridge in New York harbor (same design as the Sydney AU bridge) was raised about 10 years ago to ACC larger vessels. I’d like to see plans for Panama to raise that bridge to accommodate QM2 and other larger ships. That height limit is really cutting it close!

• Like 2

I see the Queen Mary 2 2026 World Cruise (M603H)  itinerary has two most interesting calls  on 18th and 19th  February....

Papeete (18th) ....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/05/15/tahiti-one-way-to-see-the-island/

PaaulGauguinMuseum.thumb.jpg.f5f518cd7874580197f1efc7cf8ae4d6.jpg

and Moorea (19th)....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/13/moorea-one-way-to-do/

RichardBarbaraatBelvedereLookoutMoorea.thumb.jpg.73733d617eef77e8a1156c0575a4255e.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 2

March 5th , 1 PM GMT is the date and time  for Cunard world cruises release for Queen Mary 2 and Queen Anne. Passengers on board the 2024 world  cruise also have the routing and booking forms, released this evening.

We will take a look at Queen  Anne 2006 which will start and finish in Hamburg,  Germany.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I see the Queen Mary 2 2026 World Cruise (M603H)  itinerary has two most interesting calls  on 18th and 19th  February....

Papeete (18th) ....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/05/15/tahiti-one-way-to-see-the-island/

and Moorea (19th)....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/13/moorea-one-way-to-do/

I remember QM2's 2016 World Cruise included both Papeete and Moorea, too. There were some voices that, since Moorea is so close to Papeete (just one hour by ferry), it could have been dismissed in favour of Bora Bora.

Speaking of this, Tahiti and Bora Bora are perhaps the two most famous French Polynesian paradises. We have had wonderful times in both of them. Great to see QM2 visiting again this fabulous region.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ocean_Liner_Traveller said:

I remember QM2's 2016 World Cruise included both Papeete and Moorea, too. There were some voices that, since Moorea is so close to Papeete (just one hour by ferry), it could have been dismissed in favour of Bora Bora.

Speaking of this, Tahiti and Bora Bora are perhaps the two most famous French Polynesian paradises. We have had wonderful times in both of them. Great to see QM2 visiting again this fabulous region.

We too certainly had an outstanding time visiting those two islands: albeit not on Cunard but Silversea.

While not being over impressed with the French legacy on Tahiti I certainly found the memorials to Captain Cook and The Bounty at Point Venus inspiring .....

CaptainCooksPointVenusmemorial.thumb.jpg.e21db15b640c961da6a6ec1f66bf9e2b.jpg

HMSBountyMemorialatpointvenus.thumb.jpg.f01ba7b4fc5dd0bd9960f23607b84d63.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 6:42 PM, bluemarble said:

The announcement does appear to be very close now. I'm finding the 2026 itineraries on a couple more cruise booking sites today. They confirm the QM2 world voyage itinerary I posted on the "Cunard 2026 Itineraries Preview" thread as a westbound full circumnavigation including a Panama Canal transit. I'll probably be booking either the New York to Los Angeles or the New York to San Francisco segment as soon as they go on sale.

The QM2 Panama Canal transit cruise is up on the Cunard website. It says tickets will be available 7 March. But it shows Britannia Club, Princess and Queens Grill as being completely sold out 😞

On 2/18/2024 at 9:20 PM, bluemarble said:

tidal range is quite large at Balbao several metres at spring tides

1 hour ago, Thetis22 said:

The QM2 Panama Canal transit cruise is up on the Cunard website. It says tickets will be available 7 March. But it shows Britannia Club, Princess and Queens Grill as being completely sold out 😞

They won't be.

This is often a usual Cunard action with regards to segments of a World Cruise on initial offering.

Ideally, the whole ship would hopefully be booked out to Worldies or longer segmenteers and if that was/is the hope, segments would not go on sale as that would preclude Worldies, if you get my drift.

After the initial furore of booking, after a week or two, or even on initial few days booking  segments will start to appear for the previously 'sold out' cabins.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 5