Cruise from Baltimore in January - What to expect?

GibbysMom

Looking at a cruise out of Baltimore January 2025.   Was wondering what to expect?  How many days before it's warm enough to go outside on deck?  I know from Baltimore that it takes a good bit to just get out in open water.  Will seas be rougher than normal heading out and cruising back?  Only cruises we have ever taken in Dec and January have been from Ft. Lauderdale, but trying to avoid the flying if possible and Baltimore is a close easy option. The cruise we are looking at has 3 sea days at the beginning and the end of the cruise but wondering if 2 of the 3 each way will have us shuttered inside for warmth.

Thank in advance for any info.

I have cruised out of Baltimore twice in late December.  You should figure on it being cold on, at least, the first and last days.  On both trips, the water was rougher than when we have cruised from Baltimore in the summer.  That does not mean it always will be. Remember, in January it can also snow.

40 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

I have cruised out of Baltimore twice in late December.  You should figure on it being cold on, at least, the first and last days.  On both trips, the water was rougher than when we have cruised from Baltimore in the summer.  That does not mean it always will be. Remember, in January it can also snow.

Thank you so much - the fact that you have done it twice suggests it's a minor inconvenience and it wouldn't keep you from booking a similar cruise again.  Am I right in thinking that?

6 minutes ago, GibbysMom said:

Thank you so much - the fact that you have done it twice suggests it's a minor inconvenience and it wouldn't keep you from booking a similar cruise again.  Am I right in thinking that?

It depends on you.  I hardly noticed but DW got sick and would think twice about doing it a third time.

We have cruised out of Baltimore in January and February many times, including days with a lot of snow and ice.  We board in winter coats because we like to be outdoors for departure, especially going under the bridges. The coats go under the bed as soon as it gets warmer, which is probably day 2. Then we might wear a fleece while temps increase.

I can't recall the seas ever being rough, but like any cruise in any part of the world, that is always a possibility.

• Like 1

I have friends that boarded in Baltimore in January when the crew was still shoveling the snow from the decks.  The sea days will be relaxing but I wouldn’t count on spending time in your bathing suit by the pool.

Thanks to all for the input - Right now we are thinking seriously of booking as the itinerary is excellent.  Plus Baltimore is only a quick 4 hr drive and we don't have to deal with airport hassles.  But want to have enough input to decide for sure.  

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised Grandeur to the Caribbean a few Januarys ago -- there was an inch or so layer of ice as we left the harbor and went into the upper Bay, which we plowed through like an icebreaker. It was bitterly cold all that first night, but late in the afernoon of the first full day we hit the Gulf Stream and 70 temps (largely due to a strong south wind)  -- there is no predicting. 

• Like 1