Cruise Drink Calculators

Ozwoody

Since Princess brought out their new Plus Fares, there has been some debate as to whether the cost was worth it. 
 image.png.8cbef7d8430338be8e4b8a3a4baaf40d.png
Obviously, if you were a reasonably seasoned drinker or someone who like a nice drop, it was clearly worth it.

However, if you were a light drinker, or non-alcohol drinker, the question then, is it really worth it? 
This was not so clear.
As I fitted into the second group, I started playing with spreadsheets to see if I would benefit from the plus fare, indeed if would at all.

The result of these explorations have ended in the two drink calculators in the Workbook attached below.

Complicating things was the various standard drink packages available, and the fact that the internet was thrown into the mix.
Which was further complicated with Princess removing free internet from their loyalty program and only off-setting it with a 50% discount.

Some of the basic principles I envisioned while developing the calculators were:            
Both people in a cabin were not required to be on the Plus+ packages, that one could be, whilst the other could have a standard drink package, or whatever.

Only one person really needed to have an internet package, and they could share the one device, or login separately one at a time.

People may take the option to take their own bottles of wine and pay the corkage fees.        

People could choose to take advantage of buying internet time by the day.            

People are individuals and like to choose their own packages to suit their drinking habits.        

The overall intent of the calculator was to see "WHAT IF", What if I chose this or what if I choose that package?
Which package would suit me best?

As a by-product, as the calculator developed, it was able to calculate the total cost of the internet & drink packages for the whole of a cruise for the nominated days.

Then as time went on and I was going to do P&O cruise I extended it to calculate cost of packages for them as well.

Note:
Princess tried to sweeten the deal by throwing some extra goodies into the mix. See above.
None of which really set my excitement meter above .5, so discarded them as an important component to consider in the calculators, so did not integrate them into my equation’s. However, if they do to you, you will have to weigh them up against the value you put on them. Are they worth the money to you?

A more detailed description of the calculator’s development is located on the Worksheets first tab labelled “Instructions”.

If you have any questions just let me know and I will try to answer them.

The calculators are what they are, use them as a “I wonder what if?” I do not guarantee results are 100% correct, only that they will give you a good idea of the drink package options available.

Note: All cells are locked, except the cells coloured Yellow. Which are the input cells.
The lock is not password protected, but do recommend keeping them locked, to prevent accidental altering of the formulars in the non-yellow cells.

Do read the Instruction To Use on the 1st tab, it will help you use the calculators.

The first calculator was the original comparison of the Plus Package.
The second one developed because I needed to estimate what I would drink over a cruise, and what would that cost if I was to go “Pay As You Go”.

The second one has been expanded to include, Princess, P&O Aust, HAL, and Carnival. When using the 2nd calculator, you can switch between each of the cruise companies. How? Read the instructions….

However, note, data for the last two are preliminary, as I have not travelled with them and don’t have any drink menus for them, to put meaningful info into their data base on the sheet.
If you have copies of prices for them? Post them and I will be grateful, and include them in to my master copy.

Also note you can substitute any of the cruise data bases, (Except for Princess – see below for why) to the cruise line of your choice, by filling all the data info with your line’s info

Princess data should not be change as the calculator uses a lot of variables related to specific Princess offerings. Not sure what would happen if Princess was deleted, suspect there could be a lot of error messages!

The attached file is a zipped file, this is because I have had problems loading spreadsheets up to the CC threads. I have loaded the zipped file to a thread that I am participating on as a trial, to see if it works, and so far it has, so hopefully it does on this post. (Fingers crossed)

Have fun, let me know what you think!

Criticize if needed, by all means, but do be kind, I’m a sensitive little thing. 😔

Ozwoody's Princess Drinks Packages Evaluator - Rev D1.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Thanks woodscruise

does this work? Tried load in by choose file. In stead of just dropping.

Ozwoody's Princess Drinks Packages Evaluator - Rev D1.zipUnavailable

This is what it says when I click the link:

Oops!

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

41 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I have assumed paid restaurant meals.

Further to above: 

Casual dining
Dine out twice at our relaxed sit-down restaurants, like Alfredo’s and Kai Sushi, and popular pop-ups, like Planks and Steamers. Pizza, sushi, BBQ, seafood – what’s not to love?

Regards

john

Sorry, don't know why it gives the not available message.

If people are still interested, my e-mail address is at the bottom of my signature.

e-mail me and I will forward the excel file to you.

Regards

John

Hi this is a link to download the calculator file from a dropbox account.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/41am9erm7e6gyfpcz91xt/Ozwoody-s-Princess-Drinks-Packages-Evaluator-Rev-D1.zip?rlkey=hdj1tcok63vx3ejylhl74vl4o&dl=0

Can someone try it and let me know if it works?

Thanks

John

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mum and son said:

t works John. What an incredible resource! It's very generous of you to share such an amazing tool. I can't even imagine how much time that took you. Even if I had 57,000 years I still couldn't have done it!

🥂

Thanks Libby

It was one of those things that start out as simple what if, then followed by a oh I should include that.

But the I should includes kept coming, and then you just keep tinkering away. 😅

13 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Since Princess brought out their new Plus Fares, there has been some debate as to whether the cost was worth it. 
 image.png.8cbef7d8430338be8e4b8a3a4baaf40d.png
Obviously, if you were a reasonably seasoned drinker or someone who like a nice drop, it was clearly worth it.

However, if you were a light drinker, or non-alcohol drinker, the question then, is it really worth it? 
This was not so clear.
As I fitted into the second group, I started playing with spreadsheets to see if I would benefit from the plus fare, indeed if would at all.

The result of these explorations have ended in the two drink calculators in the Workbook attached below.

Complicating things was the various standard drink packages available, and the fact that the internet was thrown into the mix.
Which was further complicated with Princess removing free internet from their loyalty program and only off-setting it with a 50% discount.

Some of the basic principles I envisioned while developing the calculators were:            
Both people in a cabin were not required to be on the Plus+ packages, that one could be, whilst the other could have a standard drink package, or whatever.

Only one person really needed to have an internet package, and they could share the one device, or login separately one at a time.

People may take the option to take their own bottles of wine and pay the corkage fees.        

People could choose to take advantage of buying internet time by the day.            

People are individuals and like to choose their own packages to suit their drinking habits.        

The overall intent of the calculator was to see "WHAT IF", What if I chose this or what if I choose that package?
Which package would suit me best?

As a by-product, as the calculator developed, it was able to calculate the total cost of the internet & drink packages for the whole of a cruise for the nominated days.

Then as time went on and I was going to do P&O cruise I extended it to calculate cost of packages for them as well.

Note:
Princess tried to sweeten the deal by throwing some extra goodies into the mix. See above.
None of which really set my excitement meter above .5, so discarded them as an important component to consider in the calculators, so did not integrate them into my equation’s. However, if they do to you, you will have to weigh them up against the value you put on them. Are they worth the money to you?

A more detailed description of the calculator’s development is located on the Worksheets first tab labelled “Instructions”.

If you have any questions just let me know and I will try to answer them.

The calculators are what they are, use them as a “I wonder what if?” I do not guarantee results are 100% correct, only that they will give you a good idea of the drink package options available.

Note: All cells are locked, except the cells coloured Yellow. Which are the input cells.
The lock is not password protected, but do recommend keeping them locked, to prevent accidental altering of the formulars in the non-yellow cells.

Do read the Instruction To Use on the 1st tab, it will help you use the calculators.

The first calculator was the original comparison of the Plus Package.
The second one developed because I needed to estimate what I would drink over a cruise, and what would that cost if I was to go “Pay As You Go”.

The second one has been expanded to include, Princess, P&O Aust, HAL, and Carnival. When using the 2nd calculator, you can switch between each of the cruise companies. How? Read the instructions….

However, note, data for the last two are preliminary, as I have not travelled with them and don’t have any drink menus for them, to put meaningful info into their data base on the sheet.
If you have copies of prices for them? Post them and I will be grateful, and include them in to my master copy.

Also note you can substitute any of the cruise data bases, (Except for Princess – see below for why) to the cruise line of your choice, by filling all the data info with your line’s info

Princess data should not be change as the calculator uses a lot of variables related to specific Princess offerings. Not sure what would happen if Princess was deleted, suspect there could be a lot of error messages!

The attached file is a zipped file, this is because I have had problems loading spreadsheets up to the CC threads. I have loaded the zipped file to a thread that I am participating on as a trial, to see if it works, and so far it has, so hopefully it does on this post. (Fingers crossed)

Have fun, let me know what you think!

Criticize if needed, by all means, but do be kind, I’m a sensitive little thing. 😔

Ozwoody's Princess Drinks Packages Evaluator - Rev D1.zipUnavailable

My gosh you’re a genius! Even if it says unavailable!!!! Just reading your explanation shows mind boggling cleverness 🥰

we don’t drink alcohol by personal choice so only buy standard fare, but appreciate how this could help others choose 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi this is a link to download the calculator file from a dropbox account.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/41am9erm7e6gyfpcz91xt/Ozwoody-s-Princess-Drinks-Packages-Evaluator-Rev-D1.zip?rlkey=hdj1tcok63vx3ejylhl74vl4o&dl=0

Can someone try it and let me know if it works?

Thanks

John

I tried but never used it before and it wants me to sign up and pay

14 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

My gosh you’re a genius! Even if it says unavailable!!!! Just reading your explanation shows mind boggling cleverness 🥰

we don’t drink alcohol by personal choice so only buy standard fare, but appreciate how this could help others choose 😁

Thanks Cbtours

The calculators are meant for people like you and I, people who don't drink that much or not at all.

The extra bonus was that with the second Calculator, I could estimate fairly accurately how much I expected to spend on drinks on a cruise and know if a soda package was worth it.

Regards

John

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

I tried but never used it before and it wants me to sign up and pay

Hi Yvonne

Could you see the file?

If so did you click on download or on the file?

Its free for 2gig that's why I tried it.

John

Edited by Ozwoody

23 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Thanks Cbtours

The calculators are meant for people like you and I, people who don't drink that much or not at all.

The extra bonus was that with the second Calculator, I could estimate fairly accurately how much I expected to spend on drinks on a cruise and know if a soda package was worth it.

Regards

John

I’ve been able to open the Dropbox link so will study asap 🥰

eagerly awaiting our cruise in March 2024 Sydney to NZ on majestic.

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Yvonne

Could you see the file?

If so did you click on download or on the file?

Its free for 2gig that's why I tried it.

John

No Joh  they did not go that far   and I could not find your e mail as I do not see all the signatures  if you could send me this I would appreciate it  Thanks  Yvonne  yafm11@tpg.com.au

13 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

No Joh  they did not go that far   and I could not find your e mail as I do not see all the signatures  if you could send me this I would appreciate it  Thanks  Yvonne  yafm11@tpg.com.au

Hi Yvonne

Have sent the file by e-mail.

Regards

John

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I’ve been able to open the Dropbox link so will study asap 🥰

eagerly awaiting our cruise in March 2024 Sydney to NZ on majestic.

Yes they always seem so far off, while itching to go.

Should be a good sail that time of year.

We haven't book our next one yet, will be  soon.