Current weather on the Gold Coast and Perth

The weather in Australia is crazy at present - November, 2023.

Rain all week forecast on the Gold Coast  I feel sorry for holidaymakers who come to the GC for a holiday in the sun. 19/20c min - 22/23c max all week.  With the sea breeze, it is quite cool.  Back into autumn pjs. 

The other extreme is Perth - 19/20c min - 34/36c max.  all week!  When I visited Perth years ago, I couldn't wear any of my summer clothes, because it was so cool.  I met someone who had shifted from Perth to Hobart because she said Perth had become too hot and humid.  

11 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hmmm, my family are all holidaying on the Gold Coast this week 🙁 Shame about the weather for them, but at least there'll be shopping 🙂

and Tourist Theme Parks like SeaWorld, DreamWorld, MovieWorld, etc.

To stretch their funds, they should take the family to the free Broadwater Parklands in Southport.  As well as popular attractions for children to play on, there is free entertainment mainly on weekends. We regularly eat at the cafe there and enjoy the walk along the Broadwater.

30 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Hot weather is normal in Perth for this time of year. Its over 4000 kms from gold coast.

I was talking about extremes in weather.  Perth weather has gotten hotter.  In November, 1971, I couldn't wear any of my summer clothes which I was already wearing in Queensland.  My friend who lived in Perth said she had worn a coat on Boxing Day.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

and Tourist Theme Parks like SeaWorld, DreamWorld, MovieWorld, etc.

To stretch their funds, they should take the family to the free Broadwater Parklands in Southport.  As well as popular attractions for children to play on, there is free entertainment mainly on weekends. We regularly eat at the cafe there and enjoy the walk along the Broadwater.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it on. They did MovieWorld yesterday and have combo tickets for the other two. Two girls in one family are 8 and 10. The 8 year old inherited the tall gene from my husband, the 10 year old sadly didn't - 10 year old was too short for some of the rides her big little sister could go on!

Just now, Jean C said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it on. They did MovieWorld yesterday and have combo tickets for the other two. Two girls in one family are 8 and 10. The 8 year old inherited the tall gene from my husband, the 10 year old sadly didn't - 10 year old was too short for some of the rides her big little sister could go on!

That would be hard to take for the 10 year old big sister.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

That would be hard to take for the 10 year old big sister.  

She wasn't impressed. Will probably face the same at the other two theme parks. I'm not sure how my other daughter's kids got on, one is only 7 so she may not have made the cut, although all that family have the tall gene! 14 year old girl towers over me and 12 year old boy is a bit taller than me!

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I was talking about extremes in weather.  Perth weather has gotten hotter.  In November, 1971, I couldn't wear any of my summer clothes which I was already wearing in Queensland.  My friend who lived in Perth said she had worn a coat on Boxing Day.  

Must of been in 1945, coldest boxing day on record at 20 degrees, usually in the high 30s.

November (spring) usually has a few days in mid twenties followed by a few days in mid thirties. Its the changing of the season.

6 minutes ago, Jean C said:

She wasn't impressed. Will probably face the same at the other two theme parks. I'm not sure how my other daughter's kids got on, one is only 7 so she may not have made the cut, although all that family have the tall gene! 14 year old girl towers over me and 12 year old boy is a bit taller than me!

If they go to Broadwater Parklands, there are three kilometres of parklands, where they can BBQ and picnic.  There is a big treehouse ? for them to climb on, on the northern end.  On the southern end, there is a bouncy pillow and little trains they can ride on on a track.  In the middle, there is the Rockpools water play, which they can play in. There is a swimming enclosure.  For adults, there are salsa classes, markets, etc.  They can download a map and see what's on. 

www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au

Broadwater Parklands 

27 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Must of been in 1945, coldest boxing day on record at 20 degrees, usually in the high 30s.

November (spring) usually has a few days in mid twenties followed by a few days in mid thirties. Its the changing of the season.

My friend is not old enough to remember that.  

The weather in Brisbane and the Gold Coast has changed.  It has become more muggy and humid like Nth Qld.  Rainy season used to be January - March (cyclones, heavy rain and flooding.  Now it more unpredictable with rain also in winter. 

The wet weather will not dampen the Schoolies fun, they will imbibe, rain, hail or shine. My brother in law is one of the Red Frogs up there, looking after the schoolies, sort off. Allens Red Frogs are handed out by the vollies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The wet weather will not dampen the Schoolies fun, they will imbibe, rain, hail or shine. My brother in law is one of the Red Frogs up there, looking after the schoolies, sort off. Allens Red Frogs are handed out by the vollies.

They had the red frogs on TV.  They do a great job keeping an eye out for those who aren't schoolies  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They had the red frogs on TV.  They do a great job keeping an eye out for those who aren't schoolies  

The Toolies are the danger, 19 to 30 yr olds.

Lock up thy daughters !!!!

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My friend is not old enough to remember that.  

The weather in Brisbane and the Gold Coast has changed.  It has become more muggy and humid like Nth Qld.  Rainy season used to be January - March (cyclones, heavy rain and flooding.  Now it more unpredictable with rain also in winter. 

Winter rain isn't new. I can recall some very wet weather in the winter of 1967. There was 11.1" (282mm) rain in one day on 12th June.

I had a look at a Bureau of Meteorology site that goes back to 1900. There have been many many years where there has been a wet winter in Brisbane.

I mentioned this to my husband who remembers the June 1967 heavy rainfall. He then pulled up a BOM site. I jotted down other episodes of heavy winter rain (not as much as June 1967). They were June 2016, May 2009, June 1007, Apr 1998, May 1996, Apr 1989, April 1988, April 184, May 1983, May 1980, July 1973, May 1969, then the June 1967 event, July 1965, July 1962. I stopped at that point.

Yes - we get more rain in summer because we have a sub-tropical climate, but heavy rain in winter does occur.

Edited by Aus Traveller

58 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I mentioned this to my husband who remembers the June 1967 heavy rainfall. He then pulled up a BOM site. I jotted down other episodes of heavy winter rain (not as much as June 1967). They were June 2016, May 2009, June 1007, Apr 1998, May 1996, Apr 1989, April 1988, April 184, May 1983, May 1980, July 1973, May 1969, then the June 1967 event, July 1965, July 1962. I stopped at that point.

Yes - we get more rain in summer because we have a sub-tropical climate, but heavy rain in winter does occur.

Seems to rain here on Christmas day more often than not.

On 11/21/2023 at 12:16 PM, MMDown Under said:

If they go to Broadwater Parklands, there are three kilometres of parklands, where they can BBQ and picnic.  There is a big treehouse ? for them to climb on, on the northern end.  On the southern end, there is a bouncy pillow and little trains they can ride on on a track.  In the middle, there is the Rockpools water play, which they can play in. There is a swimming enclosure.  For adults, there are salsa classes, markets, etc.  They can download a map and see what's on. 

www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au

Broadwater Parklands 

Thanks, very helpful 😊