Grill suites coffee question

Thetis22

Apparently the grill suite cabins have Illy coffee machines. Can anyone confirm if they are Nespresso compatible? I saw a good tip about taking your favourite coffee pods with you on a cruise. I like Little's flavoured coffee pods, which come in the original Nespresso shape & I'm not sure if they'll fit. Thanks

I can't tease out from the advertising I've seen, but I suspect not. Illy ("our new pods") is claiming compatibility with Nespresso machines, but that doesn't mean it works the other way around. It isn't just a question of size and shape, with Nespresso at least. My home machine "reads" the capsule to determine how much water to process.

I understand being hooked on your own brew, but maybe try to find Illy capsules in similar flavors?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I can't tease out from the advertising I've seen, but I suspect not. Illy ("our new pods") is claiming compatibility with Nespresso machines, but that doesn't mean it works the other way around. It isn't just a question of size and shape, with Nespresso at least. My home machine "reads" the capsule to determine how much water to process.

I understand being hooked on your own brew, but maybe try to find Illy capsules in similar flavors?

Good idea

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I’ve never tried to touch the machines, but have read others hearing claiming they were far too difficult anyway. Much less trouble to go up to the Grills Lounge and get them to give you some coffee.

Unless of course it is first thing in the morning before one is dressed. Sorry.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

DW can’t leave the cabin nor start the day without coffee. But, as mentioned before, she speaks Italian to the machine and it seems to work well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

First thing I do is switch the kettle on for coffee, wherever I am so onboard is no different and lounge coffee isn't available anyway.

I wonder if I got an Italian phrase book, I'd be able to communicate with the Illy machine more efficiently rather than just utilising a fairly universal swearing technique.

• Haha 3

The machines are not compatible with Nespresso pods,  only Illy pods that look like this.   They come in individual foil packs.

If you're not keen on these, you may want to take your own coffee bags as an alternative.   They do supply small sachets/sticks but they are just generic instant coffee - I think it was Nescafe on our last trip.

Illy pods.jpg

Illy decaf.jpg

Edited by LWhit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, LWhit said:

The machines are not compatible with Nespresso pods,  only Illy pods that look like this.   They come in individual foil packs.

If you're not keen on these, you may want to take your own coffee bags as an alternative.   They do supply small sachets/sticks but they are just generic instant coffee - I think it was Nescafe on our last trip.

Illy pods.jpg

Illy decaf.jpg

That's really helpful. Thank you

On 11/23/2023 at 11:08 AM, exlondoner said:

I’ve never tried to touch the machines, but have read others hearing claiming they were far too difficult anyway. Much less trouble to go up to the Grills Lounge and get them to give you some coffee.

Isn't that what room service is for?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scamper said:

Isn't that what room service is for?

And it depends if you can wait for room service delivery.  Many of us become desperate for caffeine and cannot wait.  Addiction is a terrible thing.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:11 AM, LWhit said:

Illy pods.jpg

Illy decaf.jpg

Currently in QG on QV and even though they are still illy coffee machines in the suites they are not the type above with plastic pods they are a coffee style tea bag. Still useless and cannot get it to work correctly so now have given up.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tv24 said:

And it depends if you can wait for room service delivery.  Many of us become desperate for caffeine and cannot wait.  Addiction is a terrible thing.

Sorry to hear. Gratefully, I never succumbed. I feel your pain.

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

On QE, my husband engaged in convivial conversation with the coffee machine every morning, and the coffee was delicious.  He is Italian though, born not far from Illy's Trieste headquarters😆

@Victoria2 See…I wasn’t joking earlier in this thread about the benefits of speaking Italian to the Illy machine!  Get your Italian language books out and enjoy some espresso in your room. 

• Haha 3

On 11/28/2023 at 6:01 AM, Mareblu said:

On QE, my husband engaged in convivial conversation with the coffee machine every morning, and the coffee was delicious.  He is Italian though, born not far from Illy's Trieste headquarters😆

I can assure you I have had a conversation with the coffee machine and it certainly wasn't convivial and definitely not in Italian.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I can assure you I have had a conversation with the coffee machine and it certainly wasn't convivial and definitely not in Italian.

Join the club of those who are non Italian speakers and have had conversations with said machine in less than glowing terms.😁

Edit

Glad to hear QG has redeemed itself. 👍

Edited by Victoria2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Join the club of those who are non Italian speakers and have had conversations with said machine in less than glowing terms.😁

Edit

Glad to hear QG has redeemed itself. 👍

I haven’t even really tried, though no doubt I would fail as my Italian is less than fluent. Do you think Latin would do? Much easier to get some from somewhere.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I haven’t even really tried, though no doubt I would fail as my Italian is less than fluent. Do you think Latin would do? Much easier to get some from somewhere.

Swearing in Anglo Saxon, even if it is just between me and a machine is far less elegant than Latin or Italian and so for me, carries more impetus.

Obviously, if I happened to be in company, Latin could be the language of choice as not only would my companion/s not understand, I don't think I would either! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Swearing in Anglo Saxon, even if it is just between me and a machine is far less elegant than Latin or Italian and so for me, carries more impetus.

Obviously, if I happened to be in company, Latin could be the language of choice as not only would my companion/s not understand, I don't think I would either! 🙂

You might be surprised. 🙂

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

It all depends on how Julius Cesar liked his latte…

Edited by NE John
  • Haha 1