Formula 1 Race Monaco

Gourmet Gal

I know I’ve read some threads on this topic but the search function is not bringing them up.  We are considering next year’s Whisper cruise that includes qualifying and race day.  The SS site does not go into much detail and doesn’t even mention there are excursions related to the race.  Seems like they had a package you could buy but it was just grand stand seats and you had to arrive very early pre-race.  Has anyone done this or does anyone know if SS has more of a traditional F1 VIP package with more behind the scenes access, food, driver meet and greet, etc.?  Otherwise if I book a VIP package independently would the tender schedule work out timing-wise?

We did the SS F1 standard package (a VIP package like you describe was not offered then, don't know about now), a few years ago.  DH and I had been F1 fans for many years (and we had been recording and watching all races),  and one of engineer DH's hobbies for years had been tracking his own cars for fun, so he is a serious gearhead. But we were busy then, so we just signed up for the package instead of spending time exploring private VIP options, which we later learned were cheaper for value offered, and better.

We had hard grandstand seats with no backrests in a decent but not prime location (i.e., nowhere near the checkered flag).  We got a little waistpack kit including a cute but thin SS F1 cushion (which I still have , as it is handy to have in my handbag for excursions with hard seats).  At the venue big screens showed key scenes but we could hear very little that was announced and the "live" experience included some very drunk Australians (not from SS)   behind us who were a bit sloppy. The  toilet experience (especially for ladies) was horrendous, so I avoided drinking to avoid a repeat, even though it was hot and we were in the sun. We looked longingly at people not far away who were on small boats and in hotels with more comfortable seating, drinks, snacks, and facilities (some of which were available for online purchase at prices that are reasonable for SS cruisers). 

The best part was that there  was a special dinner for fans on the ship, (with a special menu)  with a not very well known former racer guest speaker who was entertaining.  It was great fun sitting at a table with a bunch of other car fans for several hours.  

We have no regrets about having done the tour package, but we would not repeat it as we are not into the "scene" on Monaco and one gets better race views and analysis on a TV.  IF we were to go again  we would get private VIP seating. 

Back then the tender schedule would have worked out for private seating.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

My husband and I also have done this.  Loved every minute, and I wasn't even a race fan - but now I watch all the F1 races.  Expensive - yes, but worth every penny.  We were also in a grand stand, but right across from the yacht basin.  I guess it all depends upon where they can get the seats.  We were there 3 days.  On the third, we walked the whole course just to see what the drivers were seeing - fun.

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

My husband and I also have done this.  Loved every minute, and I wasn't even a race fan - but now I watch all the F1 races.  Expensive - yes, but worth every penny.  We were also in a grand stand, but right across from the yacht basin.  I guess it all depends upon where they can get the seats.  We were there 3 days.  On the third, we walked the whole course just to see what the drivers were seeing - fun.

Were you in grandstand K?  That’s the seating SS is offering and the photo looks like it’s across from the marina.  Was there a place to go to get some relief from the sun?

43 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Were you in grandstand K?  That’s the seating SS is offering and the photo looks like it’s across from the marina.  Was there a place to go to get some relief from the sun?

I'm sorry, I don't remember the stand letter.  I think anywhere across from the marina is fine (unless you can snare a spot with the Prince & Princess.)  The only place to get relief from the sun is under the stands - which is where the food and drinks/bathrooms are located.  However, you can't see any of the race from under there.  Buy a great big beautiful straw hat and wear sunblock.  It wasn't unbearably hot on any of the days, but it was sunny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

One other thing - make sure you have some really good earplugs.  The F1 cars are extremely loud (we could hear them all the way on the boat when they were practicing.  On the final race day.  There are two other races prior to the F1 cars.  One of them was a Porsche Car Race.  That was really interesting - just seeing those expensive sports cars crashing into each other was kind of neat.

• Like 1

Wherever you might end up viewing the race, your visibility corridor will be limited due to the nature of the street race. VIP suites in the Paddock area will give you great views of the garages, pit stops and start/finish. But very little else. If you want to see some racing the high seats in the K grandstand, looking down at the track and the yachts in the marina, were brilliant. You can see the cars come out of the tunnel, go downhill to a long (for Monaco) straightaway right in front of you which is one of the few places the cars can (and did) pass each other. There was a big viewing screen where we could watch the action taking place on other parts of the course. Another plus was that from the top of the K Grandstand we could look down and see a Birds Eye view of the cars as they were accelerating from the start line, preparing to go up the hill. And just watching the parties on the yachts was an added entertainment bonus. We had a fantastic time at the Monaco Grand Prix in 2022.

• Like 1

We are booked on Spirit which has an overnight in Monaco during the Grand Prix in 2024. Sadly, we are very likely to cancel. Today we received some details of what is on offer from Silversea to see the race. Prices range from AUD2599 per person for a seat in K grandstand, across the Saturday and Sunday, to a boggling AUD15,149 per person for the works. "The works" includes breakfasts, two Michelin star lunches and unlimited refreshments on the Belvedere Terrace in the pit lane. I'm sure you'll have the same information. 

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

We are booked on Spirit which has an overnight in Monaco during the Grand Prix in 2024. Sadly, we are very likely to cancel. Today we received some details of what is on offer from Silversea to see the race. Prices range from AUD2599 per person for a seat in K grandstand, across the Saturday and Sunday, to a boggling AUD15,149 per person for the works. "The works" includes breakfasts, two Michelin star lunches and unlimited refreshments on the Belvedere Terrace in the pit lane. I'm sure you'll have the same information. 

For $15K Id expect to be taking part in the race! lol

I can remember being there in 2016 a good month before the race and the grandstands were already up. Must cause chaos for  the residents for 2 months!

1 hour ago, les37b said:

For $15K Id expect to be taking part in the race! lol

I can remember being there in 2016 a good month before the race and the grandstands were already up. Must cause chaos for  the residents for 2 months!

They are use to it - and oh, the revenue it brings in.  That's one reason Monaco looks as it does.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:01 AM, turtlemichael said:

The Belvedere is atop the L Grandstand and has some great views but I think the facilities are just porta potties..pricy for that.  Some of the best (Ermanno) terraces are already sold out so we are considering the Caravelle Apt. package that SS is offering.  Bigger view and same pricing as the Belvedere.  The other option for 2023 from SS is the Miramar rooftop with Michelin starred chefs but the view seems a little limited.  I’m checking but I think the Paddock Club is sold out.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:01 AM, turtlemichael said:

There are grandstand seats and a few terrace apts. left if you book independently but they’re going fast.  The advantage is also you can book just race day.  The SS packages are 2-day except for the grandstand.

We will actually be on Spirit, not Whisper as I misstated in my original post.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if SS usually has an F1 themed event onboard in Monaco for those who buy their viewing packages?  I think I’ve read somewhere there was something like that in the past but along with other recent cuts those days may be over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 12:10 PM, RetiredOnVacation said:

Don't know but I guess there'll be a fair amount of merch being worn! Just hope it's not formal (optional) on the monaco days 😬

Just checked - and it's not Formal Optional across the Monaco stay - no jackets or ties required, gents! 😊

On 4/11/2024 at 8:24 AM, Downunder55 said:

Grandstand K are good seats.

The food a drink prices on the track are pretty reasonable considering.

Is there food and drink within each grandstand area, or do you need to go to further afield within the track? 

I see on the Monaco GP websites that you can't take in reusable water bottles (such as those supplied by SS in suite) and plastic bottles have their screw caps taken by security (much like music venues I've been to).  At least previous years - anyone any other intel? 

We did this trip on the Dawn 2022. If you buy independent tickets make sure you leave really early because they block off tenders for the SS excursion pax. Also, at least where Dawn parked in 2022, it was challenging to get through the boat traffic all of whom were working to drop off in the exact same location. It made for good boat/people watching but took 45-60 minutes. I believe you are correct about the water bottle - had to be clear plastic. I believe I was also told only small or clear purse. Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1