Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Our "foodie tour" aka "Taste of Ushuaia" was really nice.  Only 8 of us, plus another crew member from the shops on board. 

First stop was a smoke house/fresh fish market.  Toured behind the scenes with the smokers, a left over monster fish (head) from one of the processes.  Then tasting some crab, smoked cheese, and smoked lamb.  

I have never heard of smoked lamb! How was it?

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:05 AM, Jumping Cruiser said:

Apologies if I missed it, but has there still not been any update regarding the Red Sea & Suez Canal transit?

Definitely curious about this, particularly as I'm booked to join the UWC in Athens. Already have flights, but not a pre-cruise hotel reservation.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have never heard of smoked lamb! How was it?

Very good.  Kind of like Lamb jerky...but more tender.  The Snow and King Crab was my favorite though.  Soooo good!  Had plenty of extra tastes.  😄 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, orville99 said:

The people who board in Dubai for the entire third segment may have a different itinerary for the first mini leg, but their segment will go on. Those who booked just for the Dubai to Greece leg may be disappointed however.

This is worrying us as well.  We have prepaid flights and hotel booked in Barcelona as 2 days in advance of ship arriving, waiting for the 3rd quarter to end there to begin our 4th quarter.  Now we are not sure the ship will still arrive on July 10th as scheduled.  🥺

• Like 1

7 hours ago, delmom18 said:

Patricia and anyone else who wants to chime in, I'm curious if you feel you know everyone on board or if you're still meeting new people.

Still meeting new ones.  466 new pax came on board in Buenos Aires.  Which is over 1/4 of the ship since we are not full.  

• Like 1

After both Le Boreal and World Traveler left yesterday afternoon, we had these two expedition ships move in last night.  Then this morning another 2 expedition ships arrived.  Full port today....though the little ships don't hold near as much.  Pretty cool to see the National Geographic Explorer...have only watched articles on TV about it.  

Calm flat water today, but still cloudy.  Saving money on sunscreen.  😉  No tour today, so we will continue our walking tour of town again and find a nice seafood restaurant for lunch.  😋  All aboard is 1:30 pm. 

20240117_185254.jpg

20240118_044709.jpg

20240118_044703.jpg

20240118_044654.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marquisite said:

Definitely curious about this, particularly as I'm booked to join the UWC in Athens. Already have flights, but not a pre-cruise hotel reservation.

I’ll also be watching, we’re booked for 2 segments, Ravenna to Barcelona. We have flights, pre cruise hotel transfers all booked.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

This is worrying us as well.  We have prepaid flights and hotel booked in Barcelona as 2 days in advance of ship arriving, waiting for the 3rd quarter to end there to begin our 4th quarter.  Now we are not sure the ship will still arrive on July 10th as scheduled.  🥺

No worries! If they have to go from Dubai to the Med around Africa on May 9 they simply have to cancel the next 11 day cruise from Athens to Istanbul on May 27. With this adjustment they will be back on UWC schedule for all June departures and later starting with June 7 from Istanbul. They will not make more adjustments than needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

From looking at the WC segment schedule after the ship arrives in Dubai, it looks like as long as the ship can get to Athens from Dubai by the 27th of May that the rest of the itineraries would be unaffected.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

No worries! If they have to go from Dubai to the Med around Africa on May 9 they simply have to cancel the next 11 day cruise from Athens to Istanbul on May 27. With this adjustment they will be back on UWC schedule for all June departures and later starting with June 7 from Istanbul. They will not make more adjustments than needed.

Doubtful that the May 27 leg will need to be altered. The trip around Africa should not take 18 days for Serenade if a Freighter can do it in 10 days.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Doubtful that the May 27 leg will need to be altered. The trip around Africa should not take 18 days for Serenade if a Freighter can do it in 10 days.

The trip around Africa takes additional about ten days. If your understanding would be correct the trip from Dubai to Athens around Africa would be much faster which is impossible.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, orville99 said:

A cargo ship needs about ten days more from Indian Ocean to Gibraltar compared to standard schedule via Suez, not ten days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I also take pictures of rocks, shells, trees, sky, birds, etc.. I love the ocean, but I also love nature.  I would have grabbed a couple of those rocks and shells to bring home 

Taking anything from the National Park was forbidden. Although I too usually bring home rocks and shells, when it’s specifically forbidden, Pele’s Hawaiian curse always comes to mind and I resist the urge!  😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Taking anything from the National Park was forbidden. Although I too usually bring home rocks and shells, when it’s specifically forbidden, Pele’s Hawaiian curse always comes to mind and I resist the urge!  😁

Then I wouldn’t take anything either….nor would I from Hawaii. Many years ago my MIL took a rock from Hawaii even though I told her not to, and when she got home negative things started to happen and she got worried and mailed the rock back to Hawaii 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

The trip around Africa takes additional about ten days. If your understanding would be correct the trip from Dubai to Athens around Africa would be much faster which is impossible.

21 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

A cargo ship needs about ten days more from Indian Ocean to Gibraltar compared to standard schedule via Suez, not ten days.

I guess we will see what happens when it gets to May. A lot of things can change between now and then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I guess we will see what happens when it gets to May. A lot of things can change between now and then.

My point was that people with later departures than Athens are not in danger and I agree that a lot can happen until May.

45 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

My point was that people with later departures than Athens are not in danger and I agree that a lot can happen until May.

I think we are both saying the same thing. I would imagine that anyone who booked the single leg that goes from Dubai to Athens would have the opportunity to opt out if the ship ends up having to circumnavigate the African continent in order to get there.

Had a wonderful self tour today.  Made it back to the ship at 1:25...though we are fast walkers...which helps.  😉  

The problem of course...to have lunch in town...are the hours for lunch.  The earliest restaurants open at noon...some not until 12:30 or 1:00.  With a 1:30 all aboard...we were taking our chances having lunch in town, with a long walk down the long pier to get back to the ship. 

After a 3 hour walk down every street we could find...we stumbled on the most popular fresh King Crab restaurant in town.  Tiny little "Mom and Pop" restaurant that has been there for years.  Luckily I stood on the doorstep 10 minutes before opening time...the line starting forming just after us.  Wow.  

Shots from the restaurant before it became packed, with additional lines forming once it was fully seated.  Oh wow...great choice!  We chose the recommended King Crab for two.  Picked out our victim from the tank...and set up with a great bottle of Argentine Sauvignon Blanc wine.  😉 Picture of the cute little restaurant before it became completely nuts with incoming people.  Interesting use of kitchen shears, versus "crab crackers" we use for Maine Lobster.  

20240118_100327.jpg

20240118_100528.jpg

20240118_100845.jpg

20240118_100956.jpg

20240118_101900.jpg

• Like 25

Not the only crab restaurant in town....but I thought it was the most eclectic.  Love the little Mom and Pop historical places.  Definitely the most popular King Crab restaurant in town.  

20240118_111640.jpg

• Like 8