Concerns about changes to upcoming Grandeur ports

the_dylaness

@KenzSailing Thanks for your thoughtful post.  We are in a similar "boat".  Getting 2.5 weeks off, at the same time (myself and DH), has been a huge challenge. We have school aged children and my mother kindly *offered* to care for them so we could celebrate a milestone birthday.  Every grandparent hopefully loves their grandkids but 2.5 weeks is a long time for anyone. This cruise cost more than twice what my car is worth (I have my priorities straight 😉)!

So, this isn't "just another cruise" for us- there's a lot the went into planning this for 23 months and it is not a small expenditure for us.   We felt that Regent could provide the great experience we were seeking.  But now, frankly, even if all goes well for us on our January 8 cruise, it's been a little bit tainted by the experiences of those on the sailing before us. Spending all this time wondering what will happen to our cruise instead of planning for it. And wondering if Regent really is a good choice for us.... (After losing over $5k we are a little unhappy with Crystal although we recouped much of this in bankruptcy proceedings.)

If we were on the December sailing in question and offered $500 per person credit I would be annoyed beyond belief.  (We could each get what, a mani/pedi? Exaggerating but not by much.)  Also, not likely we would be able to do another Regent cruise in the next 2 years so the future credit would be totally wasted on us. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

@KenzSailing Thanks for your thoughtful post.  We are in a similar "boat".  Getting 2.5 weeks off, at the same time (myself and DH), has been a huge challenge. We have school aged children and my mother kindly *offered* to care for them so we could celebrate a milestone birthday.  Every grandparent hopefully loves their grandkids but 2.5 weeks is a long time for anyone. This cruise cost more than twice what my car is worth (I have my priorities straight 😉)!

So, this isn't "just another cruise" for us- there's a lot the went into planning this for 23 months and it is not a small expenditure for us.   We felt that Regent could provide the great experience we were seeking.  But now, frankly, even if all goes well for us on our January 8 cruise, it's been a little bit tainted by the experiences of those on the sailing before us. Spending all this time wondering what will happen to our cruise instead of planning for it. And wondering if Regent really is a good choice for us.... (After losing over $5k we are a little unhappy with Crystal although we recouped much of this in bankruptcy proceedings.)

If we were on the December sailing in question and offered $500 per person credit I would be annoyed beyond belief.  (We could each get what, a mani/pedi? Exaggerating but not by much.)  Also, not likely we would be able to do another Regent cruise in the next 2 years so the future credit would be totally wasted on us. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

It's not even $500 per person it's actually per suite! 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Smitty A said:

What “better explanation” or “more details” do you need.

Very annoying for those affected and I do not understand Regent’s “explanation

As part of this effort, we are in the final stages of commissioning shore power technology on Seven Seas Grandeur ………………. To facilitate this, we will be modifying your upcoming cruise
Why does the commissioning of this new bit of kit on Grandeur require the cancellation of three Mexican ports? 🤔 Very strange.

Hope you all have a fabulous time cruising through the Panama Canal, despite the revised latter part of your itinerary. At least Regent have upped their initial offer of compensation.

Fortunately we are not affected by these changes as we are looking forward to a cruise on Mariner this Christmas.

• Like 1

I feel most put-out by arriving in Los Angeles a day early and having to wait 36 hours  to fly back, we’ve been to Los Angeles before and certainly wouldn’t choose to stay there again. Losing a full day on the ship doesn’t seem reasonable.

I am not happy either about leaving the ship early in Los Angeles , not being able to check in till late afternoon and then the next day checking out early for a 6pm flight . We have been to Los Angeles before and don’t want to spend two days hanging about waiting to fly home . 

23 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

??

You will still be on board Grandeur for the last day of the cruise ………… just moored at the LA cruise terminal.

Really !  Oh well that’s something then . I assumed you would be put in a hotel, naive 1st time cruiser 😁 

13 hours ago, fak said:

Whatever the reason for the change to itinerary it was for their convenience - not ours.

To be fair, when they change the itinerary for the passengers’ convenience (see the recent Holy Land changes) there are still dozens of pages of complaints on these Boards from the torch-wielding villagers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We don’t have a problem with the change

i appreciate the 500 obc and the 20% discount. I just booked 4 cruises on board. I’m sure I can get the discount applied 

we were able to change our flight home to Jan 5 and it was cheaper. 

• Like 3

Whoa....a $500 OBC! Which is to say, that if you buy a $500 watch in the Boutique, said watch costs Regent probably $200....so there is your actual OBC while Regent makes an additional $300 off it. New President has been very quiet during this whole issue......Andrea, you out there??

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Does it look like the winners were spread out so everyone won something (other than Seabourne!)

They come up with enough categories to give everyone a participation trophy so the cruise lines can all boast “we are the best” in their advertising.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

We don’t have a problem with the change

i appreciate the 500 obc and the 20% discount. I just booked 4 cruises on board. I’m sure I can get the discount applied 

we were able to change our flight home to Jan 5 and it was cheaper. 

Woe, 1 person is happy on this cruise.

• Thanks 1

Just now, pappy1022 said:

Woe, 1 person is happy on this cruise.

I’m an avid bridge player. More sea days means more bridge. We’ve been through the Canal 5 times and to every cancelled port. They are rewarding me with 500 obc and 20% off one of the 4 cruises I just booked on board. Plus we can fly home one day early. 

For us the change is a win 

I understand all the disappointment. Our situation is different. We cruise for sea days. That’s why we are on this crossing and why we have been through the canal so many times 

Edited by bitob

Yes we are in the UK and yes we are booked on this cruise, and yes we are as disappointed as everyone else as this is definitely not what we booked.  We will still go and still enjoy ourselves but that's not the point - Regent have treated us with disdain by using this ridiculous and frankly unbelievable excuse - they should be honest with us.  There's always a risk when choosing a newly launched ship but goodness we are paying for it - in every sense!  We can't get a straight answer as to whether the current Grandeur Caribbean cruise is having the same issue - interesting that?

Having lost 3 ports and excursions that we were looking forward to, we now have to wait for Regent to offer excursions at the new port of call - and my money is on them releasing these to suit their US customers - i.e. in the middle of the night for us in the UK, which means there will be a mad scramble and by the time we get to see them all the decent ones will have gone.  As for the 20% FCC, it is not much use for those of us who may well consider not choosing Regent again.  This will be our 7th Regent cruise and they are definitely not what they used to be.  We have an 8th one already booked but I bet they won't let us use the FCC on that.

• Like 3

Just now, fijoho said:

Yes we are in the UK and yes we are booked on this cruise, and yes we are as disappointed as everyone else as this is definitely not what we booked.  We will still go and still enjoy ourselves but that's not the point - Regent have treated us with disdain by using this ridiculous and frankly unbelievable excuse - they should be honest with us.  There's always a risk when choosing a newly launched ship but goodness we are paying for it - in every sense!  We can't get a straight answer as to whether the current Grandeur Caribbean cruise is having the same issue - interesting that?

Having lost 3 ports and excursions that we were looking forward to, we now have to wait for Regent to offer excursions at the new port of call - and my money is on them releasing these to suit their US customers - i.e. in the middle of the night for us in the UK, which means there will be a mad scramble and by the time we get to see them all the decent ones will have gone.  As for the 20% FCC, it is not much use for those of us who may well consider not choosing Regent again.  This will be our 7th Regent cruise and they are definitely not what they used to be.  We have an 8th one already booked but I bet they won't let us use the FCC on that.

Talk to the cruise consultant when you board. Daniela is very flexible

Regent,  You removed the 5 ports, 3 of which  I have never visited before, which disappointed me deeply.

Then, to add insult to injury, you offered $500. Shipboard Credit per room.

You are showing no consideration for your clients' feelings,  and guess what:

You lost this one, for good.

I have no choice, but to join this cruise, but it will be last one I ever take with you, 

unless apologies come our way, with a genuine compensation:

let's start with $5,000. cash per room.

Does it not make business sense to satisfy your existing clients, rather than chase after new ones?

Regent, Please, give it a thought,

Wanda P.

Beverly Hills

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, WandafromWLA said:

Regent,  You removed the 5 ports, 3 of which  I have never visited before, which disappointed me deeply.

Then, to add insult to injury, you offered $500. Shipboard Credit per room.

You are showing no consideration for your clients' feelings,  and guess what:

You lost this one, for good.

I have no choice, but to join this cruise, but it will be last one I ever take with you, 

unless apologies come our way, with a genuine compensation:

let's start with $5,000. cash per room.

Does it not make business sense to satisfy your existing clients, rather than chase after new ones?

Regent, Please, give it a thought,

Wanda P.

Beverly Hills

So give you $5,000 in cash to stop bad-mouthing Regent and keep sailing on Regent after you already said "You lost this one, for good."...on top of the compensation already offered?

• Like 5

Just now, fijoho said:

Bitob - of course she is accommodating - you just booked 4 cruises! In any event compensation shouldn't turn into a marketing event.

I have no status on regent. I believe she will try to help everyone maximize the use of the discount. She is getting a list from corporate so she has the right amounts 

I’m glad negativity is not contagious 

my mantra

if it isn’t health it’s not a problem 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This isn't about negativity, it's about what's fair. Some may be happy with these changes but like others who don't  have money to throw around, this cruise was chosen because of the itinerary, and not getting what we have paid hard money for should be fairly compensated. Nine days at sea out of 16 at these prices without a truthful explanation for the change or adequate recompense is simply disingenuous and  greedy.  Selling us another cruise at a discount and giving us a credit to spend more money with them works for Regent far more than it does for us.

• Like 2

Just now, Pcardad said:

Why do you say that? Do you feel Regent is the only cruise line having this issue?

At the caliber that Regent portrays itself, these port cancellations take away the reason most people chose this line-for the itineraries. If the ports are removed at will, why chose this caliber of cruise line? 

• Like 3