Arvia v Azura

sandancer

For anyone who is trying to decide between these ships - This year we have sailed on both ships so here is my personal opinion of the differences/advantages of both ships. 
Embarkation/Disembarkation - obviously easier on Azura with less passengers. Arrival at Southampton on Arvia was chaotic. 
MDR food - way better on Azura. No virtual queuing so still waiting in line for a table and having a beeper.  Much prefer the virtual queue. We loved the many places to eat on Arvia so the MDR situation was not really an issue for us. 
Speciality restaurants (and here I only comment where both ships have the same and not for instance the Keel and Cow, which is not on Azura) - better on Azura. Especially the Glasshouse. 
Entertainment - definitely Arvia. to be expected on a bigger ship. However getting into the theatre was easier on Azura as it was just first come first served. 
Cabins - Arvia except there are no drawers. Why? The cabins on Azura really need some TLC, the bedding was very well worn. Towels however were fine. Thick and fluffy. 
Drinks service - same

Room service - same

Shopping - same but not high on my list of priorities so no doubt others will have a different opinion. 

Future cruise staff - more helpful on Arvia

Excursion staff - they were great on Azura, ok on Arvia. 
So for us, overall it’s the big ship that wins out and I have surprised myself by saying that. We cruised on RCI Oasis of the Seas and I hated it. Our next 2 cruises are on Iona and I’m looking forward to all the desserts I can have as I’ll burn loads of calories pushing hubbies wheelchair down those long corridors.

As I said at the start, my opinion and no doubt others will feel differently. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sandancer said:

For anyone who is trying to decide between these ships - This year we have sailed on both ships so here is my personal opinion of the differences/advantages of both ships. 
Embarkation/Disembarkation - obviously easier on Azura with less passengers. Arrival at Southampton on Arvia was chaotic. 
MDR food - way better on Azura. No virtual queuing so still waiting in line for a table and having a beeper.  Much prefer the virtual queue. We loved the many places to eat on Arvia so the MDR situation was not really an issue for us. 
Speciality restaurants (and here I only comment where both ships have the same and not for instance the Keel and Cow, which is not on Azura) - better on Azura. Especially the Glasshouse. 
Entertainment - definitely Arvia. to be expected on a bigger ship. However getting into the theatre was easier on Azura as it was just first come first served. 
Cabins - Arvia except there are no drawers. Why? The cabins on Azura really need some TLC, the bedding was very well worn. Towels however were fine. Thick and fluffy. 
Drinks service - same

Room service - same

Shopping - same but not high on my list of priorities so no doubt others will have a different opinion. 

So for us, overall it’s the big ship that wins out and I have surprised myself by saying that. We cruised on RCI Oasis of the Seas and I hated it. Our next 2 cruises are on Iona and I’m looking forward to all the desserts I can have as I’ll burn loads of calories pushing hubbies wheelchair down those long corridors.

Access to theatre way better and way more civilised on Arvia - pre booking means you've got a guaranteed seat and don't have to arrive mega early to make sure you can see the show you want

Absolutely no comparison on that front for me

First come first served isn't the civilised way to get seats in any venue anywhere in the world - simple as that

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

pre booking means you've got a guaranteed seat

I know that we take polar opposite views on this, but the statement that pre booking guarantees you a seat is simply not true. On Britannia there were times when the entertainment staff didn’t check people in, so it was back to first come first served, even though there had been a booking system. On Iona, because they let people without bookings in 5 minutes or more before curtain up to fill vacant seats, there were plenty of people who turned up a few minutes before the show complaining that they either couldn’t get in or had to stand at the back, in spite of having a reservation.

By contrast, Ventura had no reservation system and was first come first served. Worked a treat, and we didn’t have to turn up way too early, even though we needed a wheelchair and companion seat. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I know that we take polar opposite views on this, but the statement that pre booking guarantees you a seat is simply not true. On Britannia there were times when the entertainment staff didn’t check people in, so it was back to first come first served, even though there had been a booking system. On Iona, because they let people without bookings in 5 minutes or more before curtain up to fill vacant seats, there were plenty of people who turned up a few minutes before the show complaining that they either couldn’t get in or had to stand at the back, in spite of having a reservation.

By contrast, Ventura had no reservation system and was first come first served. Worked a treat, and we didn’t have to turn up way too early, even though we needed a wheelchair and companion seat. 

I think you say you go for the late shows as well when you go which is totally different from the middle show which we like to see most times. So maybe you've never been impacted like we have for having to get there early when you couldn't pre-book

Never seen a late show but I assume it's the least popular of all three. Or maybe on a par with the early show at best?

Middle show you would need to be there 30 mins before ish for the really popular ones from experience without pre-booking

And the most popular ones would result in people being turned away regardless

Even for middle show if you are pre-booked and it's a busy show 5 mins before has never been a problem for me

If you turn up really late (less than 5 mins) with a pre-booking then maybe you don't get let in - but not happened to me yet as we've done that on the odd occasion as well

Like I say where else in the venue world is first come first served considered civilised?

It just encourages stress and anxiety IMO?

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Drinks service - same

Room service - same

Very interesting, not least because having read your detailed comments I thought that you were going to end with “and that’s why we prefer Azura” 😂  MDR food would be a biggie for many people, as not everyone wants to eat in extra cost restaurants every night, and some not at all. We haven’t been on Arvia, but we had no complaints at all with the MDR food on Iona. I thought that the issues with the MDRs on Arvia was around the lack of capacity (only 1,700 covers) and the time to get seated at busy times, rather than the quality of food. It seems that MDR food quality can vary from time to time, even on the same ship. I had read plenty of reviews criticising the MDR food on Britannia and Ventura earlier this year, yet we had no issues with the MDRs on either of our cruises on those ships! 

I saw that comment as well

Can only speak for Iona for MDR which we found excellent

We never used the MDR on Arvia last feb

Will know what MDR is like on Arvia by the end of our Feb holiday - I'm hoping it will just be very similar to Iona

And if so we will be very happy

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Very interesting, not least because having read your detailed comments I thought that you were going to end with “and that’s why we prefer Azura” 😂  MDR food would be a biggie for many people, as not everyone wants to eat in extra cost restaurants every night, and some not at all. We haven’t been on Arvia, but we had no complaints at all with the MDR food on Iona. I thought that the issues with the MDRs on Arvia was around the lack of capacity (only 1,700 covers) and the time to get seated at busy times, rather than the quality of food. It seems that MDR food quality can vary from time to time, even on the same ship. I had read plenty of reviews criticising the MDR food on Britannia and Ventura earlier this year, yet we had no issues with the MDRs on either of our cruises on those ships! 

The variety of eateries and choice of entertainment on Arvia won me over. I don’t think we’ll be back on Azura until she has a refit. That’s the problem with going from a new ship to an old one. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Access to theatre way better and way more civilised on Arvia - pre booking means you've got a guaranteed seat and don't have to arrive mega early to make sure you can see the show you want

Absolutely no comparison on that front for me

First come first served isn't the civilised way to get seats in any venue anywhere in the world - simple as that

Have you never found it difficult to get 2 seats together, apart from ones with a pillar obstructing the view, when you arrive only 5-10 minutes before the show starts?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sandancer said:

The variety of eateries and choice of entertainment on Arvia won me over. I don’t think we’ll be back on Azura until she has a refit. That’s the problem with going from a new ship to an old one. 

Yes, I know what you mean. I’m sure that we will find Aurora to be very dated when we go on her again in January, and we always miss the fact that she doesn’t have an Epicurean restaurant . We also loved the Olive Grove on Iona and would love to see that concept extended to other ships. 

That being said, we went from Iona to Ventura within a few months and felt much more ‘at home’ on Ventura. She felt much more like a cruise ship, we preferred the traditional (old fashioned to many) ambiance and, most of all, the relaxed uncrowded atmosphere, which was in stark contrast to what we experienced on Iona. Different strokes for different folks, although I appreciate that some love both extremes. It’s great that we have a choice within the same cruise line. If all the ships were identical it would be very boring. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barbadossunshine said:

So much choice on Arvia so we pretty much tried all the restaurants paying extra or not paying extra. The MDR we visited twice for evening meals and the food was lovely along with the company when we picked a shared table. Green and Co along with the Glasshouse was our favourite.

We have been on Azura a couple of times, but April we be our fist time on Arvia. Looking at all the dining options I don't think we will be using the MDR much. I'm sure if we do, the food will be fine.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I know what you mean. I’m sure that we will find Aurora to be very dated when we go on her again in January, and we always miss the fact that she doesn’t have an Epicurean restaurant . We also loved the Olive Grove on Iona and would love to see that concept extended to other ships. 

That being said, we went from Iona to Ventura within a few months and felt much more ‘at home’ on Ventura. She felt much more like a cruise ship, we preferred the traditional (old fashioned to many) ambiance and, most of all, the relaxed uncrowded atmosphere, which was in stark contrast to what we experienced on Iona. Different strokes for different folks, although I appreciate that some love both extremes. It’s great that we have a choice within the same cruise line. If all the ships were identical it would be very boring. 

I think that P&O left the interior decor of Ventura and Azura much more like the Princess ships, which IMO are more glitzy than the 3 newer ships which, again IMO, have ended up looking much more like a John Lewis department store than a typical American style cruise ship. 

As a result they do appeal to us far more, however without a major refit of the cabins, including far bigger flat screen TVs, then I don't think we will be considering any future bookings on them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Have you never found it difficult to get 2 seats together, apart from ones with a pillar obstructing the view, when you arrive only 5-10 minutes before the show starts?

No always probably the first 15 rows on bottom level. No pillars at all always plenty of choice

Even for the  busy shows never a problem. On my live threads I would post pictures of the seats available and times we entered 

Never a problem last 2 cruises on Arvia and Iona

No queues getting  in. No  problem finding seats

20 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have been on Azura a couple of times, but April we be our fist time on Arvia. Looking at all the dining options I don't think we will be using the MDR much. I'm sure if we do, the food will be fine.

We never used MDR Arvia - was way too many other  places we wanted to be

But having tried on Iona we were really impressed so now will probably only  use buffet and quays for lunch whereas before we also used them for dinner on  occasions. 

We will use MDR several times I'm sure

We're both Vegan and much preferred the extra choice on Arvia, in fact we didn't visit the MDR at all.

I'm a fan of the virtual queue and pre booking the theatre. On Azura in October the theatre filled up very early.

Edited by Sonyar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sonyar said:

I'm a fan of the virtual queue and pre booking the theatre. On Azura in October the theatre filled up very early.

That has been the case on every cruise I've  ever been  on including RCL and Carnival and P and O before pre-booking when the change was so much for the better 

Biggest improvement I've seen in cruising since I started 

Civilisation compared to first come first served look after yourself

2 hours ago, amurray88 said:

My biggest surprise out of your post is that you hated Oasis OTS 😱 I love Oasis class ships 😂. 4 weeks til I'm onboard Azura

To be fair I think my judgement was coloured by us having a Promenade Cabin which we really didn’t like. I never felt that we were on a ship, more a floating resort. Funny enough I didn’t get the same feeling on Arvia. However, no doubt about Azura being a ship. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sandancer said:

To be fair I think my judgement was coloured by us having a Promenade Cabin which we really didn’t like. I never felt that we were on a ship, more a floating resort. Funny enough I didn’t get the same feeling on Arvia. However, no doubt about Azura being a ship. 

😂 We're used to big..we've done NCL Epic, Oasis and Symphony OTS and MSC Seaview which are all fairly big. Azura will be a big surprise!